Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #12388
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephC View Post
Coincidentally, just this morning, I spoke with Nate Williams, Technical Consultant at Thor, in regards to a house radio issue I am having. After a few minutes, Nate's solution was simple, fast, effective and customer oriented- WE WILL REPLACE IT!
NO PROBLEM.

Now, that is what I call SERVICE. It is great that a manufacturer appreciates a customer. Kudos to Nate!

Must have been his last day on the job.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #62

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Yep had to be.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #63

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Yep had to be.
Joseph just Lucky I guess.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #64

State: Arizona
THOR #8241
We bought a 2017 Thor Venetian T42. We love the floor plan and overall we have had very few problems. We had a 2016 Winnebago Forza and it was a nightmare. We dealt with CW on that one but have been very pleased with the service where we bought it at Golden Gait Trailers in Concord NC. This is my third MH in 11 years so I think we are getting better at the shakedown process. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:28 AM   #65

Model: 32N
State: Oregon
THOR #11137
Bought a 2015 Winnie 27N about 1 1/2 years ago. No problems, but the floor plan left a lot to be desired.

Traded on a 2015 Thor Hurricane 32N with 47K miles, and really love it.

King bed, outside entertainment center, and a really great floor plan.
No problems so far.

Floorplan is VERY important.

I think quality is no better or worse than any other entry level coach.

Good luck and happy trails!
Old 12-07-2018, 05:41 AM   #66

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Before you give up on one brand name and look for
another you may want to compare the list of dealers
/ manufactures / owners.

This is the latest I see and it's pretty much the same from last year.

Thor has bought up most manufacturing companies for every range of unit and merged or consumed it. Sold off a few as well.

This is the way to keep making money.
Buy up the competition and leave the brand.

From what I see all brands will have the same poor quality work due to pay per number of units you produce and very little quality control.

We have had issues but not as many as a lot of people. Most of my heartburn has come from Camping World people.
A little something to think about.

History[edit]
Thor Industries, Inc. was founded on August 29, 1980, when Wade F. B. Thompson and Peter Busch Orthwein acquired Airstream from Beatrice Foods. The name "Thor" combined the first two letters of each entrepreneur's name. Airstream had not fared well during the economic downturn of the late-1970s, losing $12 million the year before it was acquired. Thor restructured Airstream—laying off managers. They reduced fraudulent warranty claims by dealers, and changed the product line, returning Airstream to profitability in its first year under the new Thor management.
The company continued to grow through effective management and a series of acquisitions:
• 1982—Thor purchased the Canadian company, General Coach, which manufactures travel trailers and motorhomes. Also part of this acquisition was Thor America, which manufactures Citation and Chateau travel trailers and fifth wheels.
• 1984—Thor became a public company and in 1986 was listed on the New York Stock Exchange. That same year, Forbes magazine ranked Thor sixth out of the "200 best small companies in America."[2]
• 1991—Acquisition of Dutchmen, a brand of fifth wheel and conventional travel trailers.
• 1992—Four Winds International, manufacturer of class A and C motorhomes acquired.
• 1995—Komfort, a maker of fifth-wheel and conventional travel trailers, and Skamper, a builder of folding camping trailers, became members of the Thor family.
• 1996—Launch of Thor California and the introduction of the Tahoe and Wanderer brands of trailers and fifth wheels. These products became instant hits among the recreational vehicle (RV) community and the fastest-growing brands on the market.[citation needed]
With the acquisition of Keystone RV in 2001, Damon RV in 2003, and CrossRoads RV in 2004, Thor Industries became the largest RV manufacturer in the world.

Additional milestones include:
• 2010, September—Thor Industries' subsidiaries Damon Motor Coach and Four Winds International merged to form Thor Motor Coach. THOR Motor Coach has become the top retail== selling motorhome manufacturer in North America.[3] Thor Motor Coach produces several brands of Diesel Pushers, Class A, Class B Plus, Class C Motorhomes that are distributed in the Italy, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, India, Japan, Canada, and the United States.
• 2010, September—Acquisition of Heartland Recreational Vehicles, LLC, a privately held RV manufacturer based in Elkhart, Indiana, for $100 million in cash and 4,300,000 shares of Thor Industries, Inc. common stock, subject to adjustment. The acquisition was Thor’s first major purchase since 2005 and just two weeks after its 30th anniversary.
• 2013—Acquired Livin Lite RV, a manufacturer of lightweight aluminum trailers sold under the CampLite and QuickSilver brands.
• 2016—Purchased Jayco, Inc for $576 million.[4]
• 2018—Purchased Hymer.[5]
Market position[edit]
In 2017, Thor was number one in the RV market with a 48% market share. Forest River was second with about 34% of the market, followed by Grand Design and Winnebago with about 3% each. In fiscal year 2017, 71% of the Thor's sales was in towable RVs, 27% in motorized RVs, with 2% in other segments. During that same period 91% of sales were in the United States.[6]

Subsidiaries[edit]
Recreation vehicles
Airstream
Bison Coach, horse trailers with living quarters
Breckenridge
• CrossRoads RV
• Cruiser RV (CRV)
• DRV
• Dutchmen RV
• Entegra
• Heartland RV
Highland Ridge
• Hymer
• Jayco
• Keystone RV
KZ RV, founded by Daryl Zook in 1972 and acquired by Thor in 2014.
Livin Lite RV, founded by Scott Tuttle and acquired by Thor in 2013. KZ took over management in March 2016.
Redwood RV
• Roadtrek
• Starcraft RV
• Thor Motor Coach (combined Four Winds International and Damon Motor Coach)
Venture RV
Other
• Postle Aluminum Co.

Former subsidiaries[edit]
Commercial bus unit was sold to Allied Specialty Vehicles, now REV Group in 2013.[7] Until that time, Thor had been the largest mid-size bus manufacturer, having acquired ElDorado Motor Corp., National Coach, Champion Bus, Heartland and Goshen Coach companies between 1988 and 2012.[8]
Ambulance manufacturing company, SJC Industries, sold to Allied Specialty Vehicles, including the McCoy Miller and Marque brands also in 2013.[9]
Old 01-08-2019, 03:40 AM   #67

Model: Compass 23TB
THOR #10682
We picked up our coach today from Thor's repair facility. To say the very least I am overwhelmed by the whole experience. Everyone involved in the repair of our coach was friendly, courteous and went above and beyond to make sure we understood how the repairs were performed and that we were happy with the results. The floor in our coach now looks as good as the day it was new. Not only did they repair the floor they also did a few other repairs free of charge while they had our coach. I don't know if the folks at Thor follow this forum but If they do I would like to send a big THANK YOU to Jason Treadwell, Steve Reed, Brian and I think it was Vince for all their efforts to make me a very happy Thor customer.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #68

Model: Compass 23TB
THOR #10682
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolroom View Post
We picked up our coach today from Thor's repair facility. To say the very least I am overwhelmed by the whole experience. Everyone involved in the repair of our coach was friendly, courteous and went above and beyond to make sure we understood how the repairs were performed and that we were happy with the results. The floor in our coach now looks as good as the day it was new. Not only did they repair the floor they also did a few other repairs free of charge while they had our coach. I don't know if the folks at Thor follow this forum but If they do I would like to send a big THANK YOU to Jason Treadwell, Steve Reed, Brian and I think it was Vince for all their efforts to make me a very happy Thor customer.
I hate getting peoples names wrong!
The young man who did the repairs on my MH was Trey Kaiser, not Vince (don't know where I came up with that name,) my apologies. Anyway Trey did a great job! Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:37 PM   #69

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
X2 on Thor''s Jason Treadwell!
Old 03-07-2019, 12:39 AM   #70

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
We love our Palazzo 33.2 and enjoyed our previous ACE 29.2 even though there were some dumb QA issues with both.
As an engineer, I always wish there was statistical data across the brands and models which showed the comparable quality, customer satisfaction, support experience, etc. so it took (some of) the emotion and subjectiveness out of the discussion.
It's always difficult to deal with analogies and personal experiences and opinions even when dealing with facts, perception can color your interpretation. Can you say "Motor Trend Rv of the Year"
Old 03-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #71

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonost View Post
Hello I found this group after reading about other owners horror stories about owning various RVs and in particular Thor. I currently own a 2005 jayco seneca which I bought used and I'm no stranger to things breaking and I also accept that thing are going to break over time but what worries me is that thor isn't at the top of the list for quality. I'm pretty stuck on buying a thor Venetian s40, it has the perfect floorplan for me and I wanted the bigger engine which it has. I guess what I'm asking is if there are a lot of people on here who regret buying a thor? Thanks for any input.
I haven't read all the 70 posts yet so might be redundant

You are going to get more bang for the buck with the Venetian than anything close from SOB

The issues I have had are all from DS's that are not caught screwing around

Components and engineering have been top quality per the price range

They are all going to have some issues
Old 03-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #72

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
Well we're had ours about a year, bought it used with 4K miles on it and had a great time last year. Yea a few things happened, we dealt with it and kept rollin'. It's an entry level coach, it's not a Prevost, but a working man's RV.