Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #1

Brand: Jayco
State: Nevada
THOR #13517
Potential thor buyer with questions

Hello I found this group after reading about other owners horror stories about owning various RVs and in particular Thor. I currently own a 2005 jayco seneca which I bought used and I'm no stranger to things breaking and I also accept that thing are going to break over time but what worries me is that thor isn't at the top of the list for quality. I'm pretty stuck on buying a thor Venetian s40, it has the perfect floorplan for me and I wanted the bigger engine which it has. I guess what I'm asking is if there are a lot of people on here who regret buying a thor? Thanks for any input.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #6433
As someone that’s had issues with my coach from a leak to caused mold and now a problem with the slide I would say no I still don’t regret it. I have been frustrated with it at times but just like you the floor plan is what sold me. There are a lot of similar models to ours but not close enough that maybe a little better qualify would had offset the compromises on floor plan
Old 10-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #3

THOR #13517
Thanks, we went to the California RV show and it is perfect and we haven't found anything else that meets our needs like the thor.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Remember: People look for boards when they have a problem; happy owners are out camping and not posting. Thus you'll find a higher percentage of problems online than is actually "out in the wild".

Having said that we've had very few issues with our Axis. The worst issue (a leaky window) was more than taken care of at the factory service center (IMHO the best place to take a Thor for warranty work).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #5

THOR #13517
I totally agree, most people never go out of their way when everything goes well to post anything.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Oh and welcome to the site ! LOL
Old 10-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're glad that you found us: welcome aboard!
In spite of a pretty lengthy "Punch-List": we never regretted buying our Outlaw 29-H.
It took a year; but we got the list beaten into a tolerable level of discomfort, and were ready to take on the remaining items next Spring.

But we ended up trading it in...

No regrets: just good memories!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #8

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonost View Post
I totally agree, most people never go out of their way when everything goes well to post anything.
That’s so true, previously we had a forest river TTand it seemed everything was negative but we never had any problems. I never post how great it was mainly because it worked how it was supposed to work
Old 10-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #9

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Thor

Sad but true,I've noticed if someone post something negative the thread will go on for years,a post says good things about something it's done in 24 hours. Go for it floor plan is #1!!
Old 10-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #10

Model: 22FE
THOR #5330
Well, had our 2016 Thor Class C Freedom Elite for almost 2 years now, with 18000 miles and can truthfully say only two or three minor problems. Lose screw in a cabinet latch, and the toilet water line leaked. Half a hand twist and not leaked in almost two seasons. Thats it, nothing else. Am I happy with it, sure am. We downsized from a Forest River Class A to the Thor Class C. We're both, wife and I, totally happy with it.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:57 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Congratulations!!
It's nice to here a story, where it all turned out to be "Beer & Skittles" for the owners!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:12 PM   #12

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
We have spent just over a year with our Aria. I would love to have the bigger engine, too. Other than that we love the coach. Had a few problems when new that took the dealer too long to fix, but overall very happy.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:22 AM   #13

Model: ACE 29.2
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5447
Happy with my Thor

One thing about the post on here - you hear everyone's wa wa story, seldom do you hear "I have no problems"! Well - I HAVE NO PROBLEMS! Love my Thor Ace 29.2 , sure there are "normal issues" - if it leaks - you should have sealed the roof as they told you to - if the faucet drips - fix it like you do in your home etc etc. A RV is like a boat - a luxury item that you will put money into and have to maintain - if you go into it with the right attitude - you will enjoy camping. If you expect to take it back to camping world whenever something bugs you or the TV wont get your favorite channel - your life will be miserable.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:06 AM   #14

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
We are full time in our 2016 Challenger for over 2 years, and we do not regret our purchase. We had a couple of factory-related bugs - -wiper assembly and a slide motor that wasn't secured, but other than that, we've been pleased with the workmanship. I've also been pleased with the Thor response when I've called them on technical questions, as every little thing is not going to be in the manuals. Should we decide to upgrade we will certainly consider Thor.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #15

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
I really like my Thor 2017 Quantam....I just don't like what I have been through and still going through with trying to get the dealer to fix anything. Just don't buy even a toothpick from Dixie RV.....You will regret it.......
Old 10-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #16

THOR #6433
Funny thing happened to yesterday a Thor rep called just to follow up out leak issue we had. This was completely unexpected and appreciated. That’s the biggest thing you will have issues but it’s how responsive they are to your issues that make a difference. It was definitely really good they called and definitely re affirms that we made a good choice getting our coach from them
Old 10-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #17

State: England
THOR #13283
New or used

Have a question for long time owners, from date of manufacturer or purchase how long before any issues have been dealt with by the dealer, for instance,
if you buy a 2017 model will all the production niggles have surfaced and been dealt with by then?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:29 PM   #18

Model: Freedom Traveler A30
State: Florida
THOR #10918
Like many before me we were unhappy with our purchase and our inability to get the problems fixed. However we kept trying and finally are satisfied that all the problems have been addressed and have been repaired. Not sure where to place the blame for the failure to repair problems in a timely manner but it seemed that every time we contacted Thor things started to happen. So maybe it was the dealer....just not sure. Took it to another dealer and it still took a month to fix a problem but they fixed a problem that Camping world could not. And Camping World had the coach for six months. So we are now enjoying RV camping the way it should be. Just be advised that THOR is not a high end coach and you get what you pay for value wise. But at least we have a nice coach at the price point we wanted.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Have a question for long time owners, from date of manufacturer or purchase how long before any issues have been dealt with by the dealer, for instance,
if you buy a 2017 model will all the production niggles have surfaced and been dealt with by then?
There is only a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty...so usually 1 year.

Sometimes longer if you find a lingering problem that doesn't rear its head until after a year (and likely won't be covered under warranty).
Old 11-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #20

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc290 View Post
One thing about the post on here - you hear everyone's wa wa story, seldom do you hear "I have no problems"! Well - I HAVE NO PROBLEMS! Love my Thor Ace 29.2 , sure there are "normal issues" - if it leaks - you should have sealed the roof as they told you to - if the faucet drips - fix it like you do in your home etc etc. A RV is like a boat - a luxury item that you will put money into and have to maintain - if you go into it with the right attitude - you will enjoy camping. If you expect to take it back to camping world whenever something bugs you or the TV wont get your favorite channel - your life will be miserable.
Well, not totally but the issues we've had with our 2013 Thor A.C.E. 29.2 have been pretty minor and the larger issues have been self inflicted like leaving the awning out when we went to dinner with t-storms in the area. You can guess how that turned out. Now close to 50K miles, a dozen national parks, something like 25 states plus Canada. I have to say that our dealer has made the difference when warranty work was necessary early on.

Personally, I would have no problem with another Thor vehicle but I would surely be cautious of the dealer.