Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2020, 09:21 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding, but health issues come first. My first reaction to your voltage measurements is how it could be that while on shore power only; converter is running and charging, since both battery strings are above base (full charge) level of 12.6vdc for resting wet cell batteries. So 13.1 vdc on coach and 13.6 on chassis? The way this BCC works is when on converter the coach battery charges to approx 13.2 vdc at which point (after 15 sec delay) the BCC voltage sensing electronics closes the isolator relay, which connects both coach and chassis batteries together in parallel essentially. At that point the charging voltage from the converter should be the same value on both strings, if all is wired correctly and functioning normally.
So charging current is coming from the converter through the 50 amp re-settable circuit breaker in the BCC and feeds to the coach battery through the "on" coach battery disconnect latching relay.......and also supplies charging current to the chassis battery via the now closed isolator relay. I modified a charging circuit to show roughly how the RV Custom BCC connects your battery strings (see attached).

When you operate and release coach and chassis disconnect switches at the door you should hear the latching relays also operate and release. Similarly when you operate the emergency start switch by the driver, you should hear the isolator relay also operate and release. If there is no sounds from any of these operations then something has failed inside the BCC or something is wired wrong.

Strange also that DC lights work when on shore/converter, but when on coach battery only they fail after 15 seconds and your coach battery voltage drops under load (normal) but the chassis battery jumps to 14.2. Impossible. The shore is off/ converter is off how can the coach batteries be charging? Also when the coach lights shut off what sounds do you hear......does it sound like the coach latching relay dropping out? I suspect you have some wiring problems minimum either to the BCC or inside the BCC. When on shore/converter power the voltage you measure at the converter fuse panel should be almost or identical to what you measure on the coach batteries. Enough said for now.
He said the chassis batteries went to 14.2 VDC AFTER reconnecting shore power.

Seems to me you have a high resistance connection to the house batteries, like maybe in the disconnect relay. The full converter voltage is felt on the chassis battery but not on the house battery. When you remove SP the house battery is seen as essentially dead by the DC buss, so when the BCC disconnects the chassis battery to prevent it from being drained 15 seconds later, the house lights go out.

Disconnect SP, start at the house battery measuring the positive side to ground, work your way back to the DC buss across the main breaker, across the disconnect solenoid, across any junction; measuring the DC positive voltage to ground and see where your house battery voltage drops to almost nothing.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:32 PM   #22

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Good point, I missed where OP reconnected SP. Still under the weather I guess.

The electrical path from converter output to Chassis battery is exactly the same as to Coach battery (through coach disconnect latch relay in BCC), with the additional path through the closed isolation relay. So yes, the 15 sec drop out is probably the BCC sensing the coach battery voltage dropping to approx 12.6vdc for 15 seconds and it releases the isolation relay; disconnecting the chassis battery. So 16ACE27 you have the solution I think. Poor connection somewhere from coach batteries (check both ground and +) to where they connect onto the BCC terminals? A strange one to say the least.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #23

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Thx 16Ace27 and Javelin. The Mobil guy and I discussed all this to give him an idea where to start also. He was going to go and see what he can find. He did mention he may have to get into BCC to check relays but also check relays along the way. But it all seems to lead to low voltage one way or another.

Who knows, he may read the same forum!!! Thx again and I'll keep you informed.

PS. Thanks also to Cavie who also submitted ideas to check.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Honestly been dealing with this in my Hurricane since I bought it over two years ago. New batteries (the originals stink) l, new relay, birdman switch...I'm thinking it's my inverter but who knows. I'm going to do a big solar install in a few month so I'm just holding off and going to do it all at once.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:06 AM   #25

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarter View Post
Honestly been dealing with this in my Hurricane since I bought it over two years ago. New batteries (the originals stink) l, new relay, birdman switch...I'm thinking it's my inverter but who knows. I'm going to do a big solar install in a few month so I'm just holding off and going to do it all at once.
Invertor or converter? Mine did have a converter (AC to DC) problem and had to be replaced. I do not have an invertor in my unit.

Also, where is the bird switch you mention located? I have not seen one in my coach. My problem is down to the fact that I can not boondock on batteries only after 15 seconds. The coach shuts down unless on shore or generator power. Thx, Dennis.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:15 AM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
No such thing as a "bird switch". There is a BIRD controller for a solenoid.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:57 AM   #27

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No such thing as a "bird switch". There is a BIRD controller for a solenoid.
Ok, what is the Birdman controller do? And is it located in the BCC?

Just like to understand if I get billed for something I'd at least like to understand a little about what they are telling me. Thx, Dennis.

PS. And what does it actually control? Thx.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:52 AM   #28

Model: Hurricane 29X
State: Washington
THOR #1191
I have a 2013 Thor Hurricane 29X. Did you get a recall notice for your BCC?
Check https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...3V265-8488.pdf
Old 01-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #29

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwill View Post
I have a 2013 Thor Hurricane 29X. Did you get a recall notice for your BCC?
Check https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...3V265-8488.pdf
I did not. I looked on the Thor Owners Resource page and it is not listed for my coach. Thx, Dennis.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #30

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Did you find the disconnect relay?
Old 01-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #31

THOR #6181
I am assuming it's in the BCC but I have turned it over to an RV Mobil Service here. Given the location of the box I am not physically able to remove and repair anything in it. Hopefully he will figure it out. He mentioned either a relay not holding or the solenoid itself. Thx for the help. Dennis.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #32

THOR #6181
Yesterday I decided to go back over to my RV and check some more things based on answers here and from others. I did email RV Custom Products and asked some questions.
I had a converter go out recently and replaced but looking for this issue was part of that issue. RV Mobil folks told me this was going to take some time and would rather it come to the shop but I had not gotten the date yet.
Finally I decided to follow out the wiring at coach batteries. Low and behold I found a negative ground strap loose. It was touching metal enough that the batteries were staying charged but not completely full. It would not stay engaged in the use position because of the lower voltage and bad connection.
The converter immediately started charging the batteries at over 14V. I will go back in a day or 2 and check but by then they should be fully charged and converter should drop to trickle charge rate of 13.6 if I understand correctly.
I sure hope this is solved now. Thanks to all that contributed and sorry if a bit redundant. I'm ready to hit the road again I hope!!! Thanks, Dennis.