Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2021, 03:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17526
Power problems

Hey Everyone, having a problem w/ my ‘08 wind sport 35b. Just set up at a camp resort here and I’m having electrical problems. Plugged into a 50amp receptacle. Everything was going good for about 2hrs and started noticing my inside interior lights dimming and my front air conditioning wasn’t cooling, being perplexed because thinking I’m hooked into a 50amp everything should be good, checked electric box and seeing maybe the breaker tripped, everything good, so checked my breaker box in the MH, nothing tripped either, checked my gauges on my wall and everything showed low (battery condition, propane) so decided to unplug from the electric box and started the engine in my MH and let it run for about 10 minutes. Turned it off and plugged back into the receptacle, lights are bright and air conditioners run great but it last for about 3 hrs and have to do the same thing again... what do you think it is?

Old 05-09-2021, 05:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Your converter/charger.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
If it was just lights I'd say Converter, but with it also affecting the AC ala a brown out ... That's odd. Sounds like a connection developing resistance as it heats up. ATS going bad? Plug connection into RV going bad? An issue with the campground pedestal? You might want to (carefully) take voltage readings at various points in the system to try to determine where the voltage drop is happening.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Sounds like your battery disconnect is off. 1st thing you need is a voltmeter. Lights are 12 volts. A/C is 120 volts. You need to verify that your battery disconnect is ON. A/C uses both 120 and 12 volts. Propane has nothing to do with your problem.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
being that you cranked your engine for a while, and everything seemed fine for a while afterwards, leads me to believe that you have a BATTERY issue, probably and battery CHARGING issue. Find if your Converter is actually charging the HOUSE battery(S) while you are plugged in.
As the HOUSE batteries start to lose voltage, many weird and strange things can start to happen, such as the 'flickering' of lights, which is an easy 'sign' that the 12v system, i.e., the HOUSE Battery system is not up to par.

As for your Air Conditioner not cooling, that appliance is a 120v device and will ONLY work when on 120v power, whether a 50amp outlet, a 30amp outlet, or any regular 15a or 20a outlet. If it is not providing cooling, then either the thermostat has lost power and is no longer keeping it in 'cool' mode, even though the fan may still be running, or the cooling is not happening due to a faulty a/c unit. I vote for the former. The thermostat is 12v, so yes, if the HOUSE batteries are getting low on voltage and the lights are flickering, then the thermostat is seeing the same issue as well.