Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
price vs dealer service.

Until my recent purchase I didn't realize how important "dealer service" is to the average RV purchase.

Previously I thought, just find the best price (no matter where) buy it and all should be good.

Now I've learned that most RV's are going to require quite a bit of service after the sale. That said now I believe that selecting a dealership that can repair and service your RV with a quality service dept. is the most important factor in the purchase of a new RV.

It seems like a lot of frustration occurs when owners can't seems to get problems corrected in a timely fashion

Old 07-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZip View Post
Until my recent purchase I didn't realize how important "dealer service" is to the average RV purchase.

Previously I thought, just find the best price (no matter where) buy it and all should be good.

Now I've learned that most RV's are going to require quite a bit of service after the sale. That said now I believe that selecting a dealership that can repair and service your RV with a quality service dept. is the most important factor in the purchase of a new RV.

It seems like a lot of frustration occurs when owners can't seems to get problems corrected in a timely fashion
MrZip

Very well said.

Another thing that one must keep in mind, generally possession of an RV spans multiple years. A Manufacturer's warranty normally spans one year. After that period of time anyone can repair your coach because it is happening on your dime. The one exception if with an extended warranty. If someone purchases an extended warranty that is primarily designed for specific dealers they may continue having issues for the life of that warranty. A primary example, if someone purchase a Good Sam Extended Warranty through Camping World and has issues with Camping World's service department when Thor is paying the bill (first 12 months) how does one expect them to act when their own corporation is starting to foot the repair bill.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZip View Post

I completely disagree!

For the best motorhome price, I will always shop nationally. During the warranty period, I will work with local authorized service departments. Outside of warranty, I will take the RV to the BEST service provider, which is usually an independent non-dealer affiliated mechanic.

I maintain absolutely NO loyalty to any RV dealership. There is no need for it from a customer's perspective, unless if you get outstanding service, (which I have yet to experience at at RV dealership service department).

The sales department and service departments are independent business units and typically do not even communicate with each other. The service writer doesn't care where the RV came from and only finds out after entering the VIN number.

For my past four RV's, (three motorhomes), I have had warranty work completed at any, (convenient to me), local authorized service provider.

From reading about all the needless waiting and delays that "loyal" customers have experienced, I have had a much better experience with my method, by far. I have never waited, (and left my coach amore than 48 hours at the dealership), for very complex warranty work. That has included a complete V10 engine replacement with a Fleetwood, a rear fiberglass endcap with a Winnebago, and most recently the complete replacement of the Schwintek overhead bunk slide mechanism on my current Thor.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Yeah, pretty sad. I'm starting to see additional reasons why so many 1- and 2-year-old motorhomes end up on lots. For those new to RVing it must be a shock.

I'll add that with the high fixed cost of ownership, I think I would try to repair as much as I could myself and maybe even pay for some repairs out of pocket if it meant keeping the motorhome in service when I wanted to use it.

There is much I can't do but with my technical background and work experience there is much I should be able to fix myself.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:28 AM   #5

THOR #980
RV Service

Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	607

Well I agree that most RV dealers will try to accommodate. But depending on, how busy they are and the time of year, if you are not a customer you will not be given priority. It's obvious unless your buying a really high end rig, don't expect to just drop in someplace and pick up a rig and think your all ready for a trip. You'll be sadly disappointed. I've read on here and other forums, "got someplace and the furnace won't run" or the "stove won't work" or the" frig won't work" You name it. You are really going to need a good service dept. to not only fix but also educate on how you can do some of this. The first thing my dealership did was introduce me to the service manager and second the parts guy.
Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #6

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
I am one of those people who purchased my MH from out of state.
In Colorado CW is the only authorized Thor warranty dealer.

I called CW for an appointment about the middle of June, my appointment is July 22. I am having some warranty work done and some $$ work done.

My reason for buying out of state was cost. My MH in CO was $20K more expensive than where I purchased it in Texas.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Maryland
THOR #1899
I believe everyone's points are valid and I too struggled with to buy local or out of state. I did my homework online and went to some of the big guns like MHSRV for pricing. Then went to local dealer and was upfront saying these are the units availble with 150 miles and these are units at MHSRV. I realize your not the same volume dealer but I'd like to build a relationship with you for future sales and service. Also wanted to support my local economy. Bottom line was they came VERY close in price to MHSRV, and they added installing new sat. system in deal, etc.. So far so good!!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #8

THOR #980
I did the same. Did some homework, made a few calls, then went to a local dealer armed with what I was willing to pay and what I wanted for my trade in. Now I did end up taking an extended warranty and tire service but once the financing was all said and done, the unit was very affordable and within my monthly budget.

Generally when I need service I just drop in and it gets fixed. Can't beat that.
Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote