Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Problem with Tankless Hot Water Heater 2017 Vegas But Could be Any Coach Probably

Hi All,

I got my 2017 Vegas 25.4 end of March. Have had it out on three different outings. The on demand hot water heater works just fine as long as I'm using the pump and not hooked up to city water. When I am hooked up to city water, the water is not heating. So, the unit works; why not when hooked up to city water?

When I called the number to talk to a Thor person, the explanation sort of makes sense but difficult for me to believe that's it! He said that it's the water pressure coming from the campground spigot. It's too much pressure for the heater to have enough time to heat up the water. I do have one of the simple water pressure restrictors on there and have all three times yet this is still happening. It's difficult to believe that I'm the only person with this problem and that it's across three different water spigots. Seems as if they would have lots of people calling if this was the case, from all different kinds of rigs, not just the Vegas then but he said this was not the case.

So, this doesn't make a lot of sense. We try to control the pressure coming from the spigot and if it's still too much flow to have the rig be working as intended, difficult to think I have to limit it even further?

Any thoughts/ideas?

Old 05-15-2017, 11:31 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
It's the flow rate, not the pressure. This problem has been discussed many times on the forum. Do not use cold, only hot faucet and control temp with the amount of flow. Lots of owners seem to be having the same problem.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah your pressure regulator you're using may be reducing flow enough that the heater isn't kicking on.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:05 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I went to an adjustable pressure regulator, and set between 50 and 55 PSI the tankless water heater does fine. With a fixed regulator set at 45 PSI, hot water was inconsistent.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:25 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Citation 24SR
State: Florida
THOR #7515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I went to an adjustable pressure regulator and set between 50 and 55 PSI the tankless water heater does fine. With a fixed regulator set at 45 PSI, hot water was inconsistent.
Which adjustable pressure regulator did you buy?
Old 05-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #6

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6lmj View Post
Which adjustable pressure regulator did you buy?
The one I bought is a Valterra A01-117VP from Amazon its $55.46, but there are lots of them on the market. Since this is the only adjustable I have had, I can't really say if its better or worse then others, but I can say its working well for me.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Hot water temp?

What temp do you set hot water for? Instead of trying to adjust by "mixing" I was trying to find a good temp @ wide open hot for pressure reasons.
I was @ 124 degrees TOO Hot. I will be trying 119 next time out. I do like the on demand a lot better than the tank.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #8

THOR #7515
Thanks. I take delivery May 26 and will test it.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #9

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
What temp do you set hot water for? Instead of trying to adjust by "mixing" I was trying to find a good temp @ wide open hot for pressure reasons.
I was @ 124 degrees TOO Hot. I will be trying 119 next time out. I do like the on demand a lot better than the tank.
I have it set for 121, seems to work ok for us. There are things about the demand heater I like, and things about it, I don't. All in all, its an acceptable water heater. I was concerned about propane usage, but the burner runs in bursts, and seems to be very frugal when it comes to propane consumption.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #7654
2017 Thor Vegas 25.2

Just purchased this last week and went on a maiden voyage to find out Tankless HWH did not work inside the coach at all but would work on the outside shower (I had the access door open to the Tankless HWH as well and not sure if that made a difference) and if I left the outside shower on, I would get hot water in the bathroom (did not try the kitchen sink at that test).

I have one of the plastic pressure reducers which is what the Thor Maintenance Member told me to use because they work just as well than the adjustable and or brass regulators.

Has anyone one else confirmed that using the adj. regulator and setting to 50-55 PSI works? Can you drill out the plastic one to do the same thing and if so what diameter should it be?
Old 05-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #11

THOR #5821
Read my earlier post, I had very inconsistent hot water with a pre-set to 45 psi regulator. Bought an adjustable, set it to 53psi, water heater works 100 times better. Its apparently all about pressure and flow.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #12

THOR #7515
I picked up the Thor 24SR Friday after checking it out. Hot water in the kitchen but not the bathroom. The bathroom faucet was bad and they have ordered one. It would not open all the way, nor allow you to select hot water.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #13

THOR #7515
This was using battery water pump. When they take it back to fix the faucet, I will also have them verify that it works with city water. Indeed, I will that here at home first.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #14

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
I picked up the Thor 24SR Friday after checking it out. Hot water in the kitchen but not the bathroom. The bathroom faucet was bad and they have ordered one. It would not open all the way, nor allow you to select hot water.
We went to General RV in Wayland Michigan to pick up our new Synergy on the 19th. We found a number of issues and did not pay the balance or take the coach home. My wife asked them to deliver it to our house after they fixed everything and they said "YES". It's almost 3 hours one way.

Maybe your dealer will pick up and deliver?
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #15

THOR #7515
We waited from 12 noon til after six to have everything but the faucet taken care of. Mine did not come with a place to store the dump hose so I had them add one, and the generator tail pipe had come loose and I had them fix that. I have had it in the drive way for a day running the AC off of shore power to see how it works. So far, okay. I will likely take it out overnight after Memorial Day.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:53 PM   #16

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
We waited from 12 noon til after six to have everything but the faucet taken care of. Mine did not come with a place to store the dump hose so I had them add one, and the generator tail pipe had come loose and I had them fix that. I have had it in the drive way for a day running the AC off of shore power to see how it works. So far, okay. I will likely take it out overnight after Memorial Day.
Hey what did they do to solve your sewer hose storage? Got pictures?
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #17

THOR #5821
On ours, sewer hose stores easily in the compartment, under the sewer connections.