Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 07:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Florida
THOR #13371
Protecting RV in hurrican

We are in Fla’s east coast and expecting direct hit from a Cat 3 hurricane. Our 2016 Thor Challenger is kept at our house. Does anyone have any idea how to protect my windows. The windows are the frameless kind. We shutter our home but don’t know how to protect our RV. Keep us in your prayers

Old 08-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I would think the best way would simply be to drive the RV somewhere where the hurricane isn't.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Protecting RV in hurrican

I split time between Pittsburgh and Cape Coral on the Gulf Coast. We’re in Cape Coral now but our MH is back in Pittsburgh. I started thinking yesterday about either being on trip when a hurricane hit or having it sitting down here when a tropical storm or hurricane hit.

I agree with the previous post. I decided the best course of action would be to drive it out of the area to a place where rain and wind would be minimized.

The biggest concern will be flying debris that can shatter windows (which aren’t hurricane proof like in our homes). I had the window shatter on our entry door a few months ago driving to a camp when a rock or other debris hit it. The glass is tempered but it shattered and I had to put duct tape over it to hold it together until I could get a replacement from Thor.

Blowing debris could also crack the vent covers easily and then there would be a real mess from all of the rain pouring in.

Then factoring in the wind driven rains.... I have to think water would find its way in even if you have never had a leak otherwise.

Your house is likely better equipped to handle a Cat 3 storm than your motorhome. I would secure the house and then pack up and start driving it towards Atlanta as soon as you can. The gas lines have already started so the sooner you fill up and get out of Florida the better.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree. The best way to win a fight is to not be in it...
Good luck!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittstop View Post
We are in Fla’s east coast and expecting direct hit from a Cat 3 hurricane. Our 2016 Thor Challenger is kept at our house. Does anyone have any idea how to protect my windows. The windows are the frameless kind. We shutter our home but don’t know how to protect our RV. Keep us in your prayers
If you have ever experienced a Cat 3 hurricane, you know there is nothing you can do to prevent damage to your motor home other than getting it out of harms way.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Start packing things now like food, essentials and clothing. Fill up water tank, LP and gas/diesel. Depending on your fuel range, take a few extra jugs of fuel with you on a rear carrier or in your toad (if applicable). Be prepared to hit the road inland before the masses (which, IMO is NOW). If your plans are to shelter in place and roll the dice, make sure your insurance is current. There's nothing you can do to protect it from what you don't know will happen. One of the greatest benefits of owning a motorhome and living in the path of hurricanes is the ability to get out of town...First Class! Shelves are emptying right now of the basics like fuel, water, plywood, food stocks, etc. I'd rather be laughed at (by idiots) for preparing and not needing to than the other guy that did nothing.

If you do leave, keep your gas tank as full as possible along the way. This may be your only source of power (generator) for a few days. And, don't brag about how well you are equipped...those that don't prepare get crazy and desperate when reality slaps the s**t out of them..
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #7

THOR #13371
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I would think the best way would simply be to drive the RV somewhere where the hurricane isn't.
Unfortunately we're in the state of Florida and the cone is so large - it spreads from Miami to Jax. and will come across the state and exit to the Gulf. Really no place to hide.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #8

THOR #13371
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Start packing things now like food, essentials and clothing. Fill up water tank, LP and gas/diesel. Depending on your fuel range, take a few extra jugs of fuel with you on a rear carrier or in your toad (if applicable). Be prepared to hit the road inland before the masses (which, IMO is NOW). If your plans are to shelter in place and roll the dice, make sure your insurance is current. There's nothing you can do to protect it from what you don't know will happen. One of the greatest benefits of owning a motorhome and living in the path of hurricanes is the ability to get out of town...First Class! Shelves are emptying right now of the basics like fuel, water, plywood, food stocks, etc. I'd rather be laughed at (by idiots) for preparing and not needing to than the other guy that did nothing.

If you do leave, keep your gas tank as full as possible along the way. This may be your only source of power (generator) for a few days. And, don't brag about how well you are equipped...those that don't prepare get crazy and desperate when reality slaps the s**t out of them..

We are more than ready and prepared. Unfortunately in Fla. once a hurricane is declared the campgrounds must close down. We live on a barrier island so will be leaving but most likely will end up in a parking lot somewhere - even in the center of the state it is expected to be a Cat 1-2. I was hoping someone had figured out a way to protect the glass - using Pylox or Shutters or such to protect the windows wherever we end up?
Old 08-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #9

THOR #13371
thanks for the obvious about evacuating - but looking for some ideas in covering the glass once we get there?? (Mid-state somewhere will still be Cat 1-2).
we've evacuated this barrier island since 1979 Hurricane David.

Just don't know how to deal with these "frameless" windows.

wish us luck..

Debbie
Old 08-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #10

THOR #11130
If you knew what was going to blow your way...this would be an easy answer. I would just drive as far as you can north and westward. Many mega facilities open their properties to campers during these events...Atlanta Motor Speedway is one of them. They have many campgrounds and some have hookups...first come, first served. If you're not looking in your mirrors now...good luck.

Buy some heavy plastic and lots of clear tape and Gorilla Tape. Tape the glass in spider web style for JIC and to keep glass from flying. If it does get blown out, tape the hole with plastic. You can also run the tape around the outside edges of the glass to keep the wind from getting underneath the edges and pulling them off. I would also run tape across the A/C covers, vent covers and any other device that could get blown off cause water damage.

But...as you seem so well aware of...just drive out of it. Florida is too narrow for mid-state to be safe.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it's hard to simply 'cover' the frameless windows because of the way they are built, and mounted... and it's doubtful that anything you could actually 'mount' on them would be that much protection anyway... they are double-pained and therefore aren't necessarily going to 'shatter' anyway. The windows are easy to replace, but the fiberglass walls are not, and without being able to effectively cover or protect them, you're probably wasting effort for just the windows.

There's no 'good' answer for your concern, other than to do the smartest thing anyone could advise: drive the rig north, into central Georgia. At least then, as the storm moves, you'll have time and other directions to drive it to - parking in Central Florida gives you only one.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #12

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
We just leave ours parked in the RV lot and close all the vents and windows and hope for the best. THere are thousands of RV's that will sit in parked in Florida on dealers lots and owners driveways. This is why you have insurance.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittstop View Post
We are more than ready and prepared. Unfortunately in Fla. once a hurricane is declared the campgrounds must close down. We live on a barrier island so will be leaving but most likely will end up in a parking lot somewhere - even in the center of the state it is expected to be a Cat 1-2. I was hoping someone had figured out a way to protect the glass - using Pylox or Shutters or such to protect the windows wherever we end up?
Which barrier island?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #14

THOR #11130
..."thanks for the obvious about evacuating"...

Well...you seem to have your answer. Dorian was just upgraded to a Cat 4. With your knowledge and experience, protecting windows in an RV would be last on my list. By days end I would be pulling into the Welcome Center just across the Georgia state line. Moving inland isn't a good "evacuation" option. We're just south of Atlanta and offer any assistance we can for you and any others that are smart enough to get out of Florida while you can. Good luck and hopefully...safe travels. Peace!!
Old 08-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

Years ago we were visiting family in south Florida when a hurricane headed towards us. We were in small and light travel trailer, so left to go home in Texas. What I recall most and clearest is that the Florida Turnpike headed north was almost a parking lot, and while Plazas had fuel, lines were incredibly long. Lesson I learned is that if you’re going to evacuate, do it really early.

I’m now in same place and could head north earlier, but my parents are too old and can’t travel, so we are going to have to stay put. I’ll pull my van as close to the house as possible, but it’s old and has no real value to be concerned about.

We are in middle of cone, and landfall prediction was just upgraded to Cat 4. At least it’s not too big yet.

Everyone in possible path be careful out there, whether you stay or evacuate.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #16

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Years ago we were visiting family in south Florida when a hurricane headed towards us. We were in small and light travel trailer, so left to go home in Texas. What I recall most and clearest is that the Florida Turnpike headed north was almost a parking lot, and while Plazas had fuel, lines were incredibly long. Lesson I learned is that if you’re going to evacuate, do it really early.

I’m now in same place and could head north earlier, but my parents are too old and can’t travel, so we are going to have to stay put. I’ll pull my van as close to the house as possible, but it’s old and has no real value to be concerned about.

We are in middle of cone, and landfall prediction was just upgraded to Cat 4. At least it’s not too big yet.

Everyone in possible path be careful out there, whether you stay or evacuate.

Add to this, the number of vacationers already there for Labor Day Weekend that will be leaving...campground evacuations (thousands)...it will be a nightmare. Personally, if you're not pulling out in the next 12 hours, plan on getting stuck in it.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
...Personally, if you're not pulling out in the next 12 hours, plan on getting stuck in it.
I agree: Get thee elsewhere!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #18

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
Dorian is still a cat1 and expected to be a cat 4 upon landing and im sure that will change between now and Monday. But they still have no idea where it is going to hit? or where it will go from there?
Old 08-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
No matter where it lands: it's better to be someplace else...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #20

THOR #2121
Yeah, too early to panic. And if we wait for certainty, then it’s too late to leave.

In addition to it still being a small storm, another bit of good news is they said southern-most computer models are for weaker storm, and stronger storm models more likely to the north. That’s good news since state is more populated to south and also much more difficult to evacuate from South Florida.