Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2022, 04:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #27657
Help - Axis 24.1 new owner Roof Rack?

I am looking for suggestions/experience about adding roof rack/deck to an Axis? Anyone?

Old 08-12-2022, 06:36 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Anything attached to the roof's flimsy plywood panel that supports the TPO membrane would be suspect IMO. A few solar panels, yes, but not a rack capable of holding some weight.

You would have to attach it only to the underlying roof trusses but those may be hard to locate accurately. A sensitive stud finder might work.

Also I was just up on the roof of my 2021 Axis 24.1 today checking it for integrity. It already has one 100 watt solar panel and I found places for three more, but there is no place more than about 4' x 3' that isn't taken by something.

What are you planning to haul up there and how will you get it up there. Anything that extends the height above the existing roof A/C or Winegard (the two highest items I think) will be at risk of being swept off by overhead tree branches if you boondock.

FWIW I have already had the end cap on the passenger side awning and the one over the slide out hit by branches and destroyed the end caps. I must admit I do camp in some rustic heavily forested areas that don't have enough headroom for a MH.

David

Tags
axis, cargo, roof rack