Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Questions about 2018+ Axis/Vegas 24.1

I finally got an in person look see at a 2018 Axis/Vegas but it was a 25.5 and not the 24.1 that I am most interested in. But it did satisfy me with the fit and finish aspects of newer A/V's and posed a few unanswered questions:

LP Switch

Unlike most MHs, the A/V has a manual propane tank shutoff valve at the tank and the owner assured me that it did not have an in coach switch that might have controlled a solenoid valve. Is this true? I couldn't find a switch, which is great because I don't want the parasitic draw of a solenoid. We mostly dry camp.

Swivel Seats

The owner told me that the front passenger seat will swivel 180+ deg but the drivers side would only swivel 90 deg due to interference with the wheel. Can anyone confirm?

Gravity fresh water fill port

Seems like I have seen this on older 24.1s. Do the 2018+ 24.1s have a gravity fill port. The 25.5 did not but it is a different layout and tank location so maybe the 24.1 has one. Why? Some campgrounds have no easily accessible water spigots. I was in one a few days ago in Mass. The only way to fill was to lug water from the restroom's dishwashing station.

Truma instant on hot water heater

Does anyone know if this is also the source of the coach's interior heat. The owner said that the Coleman thermostat panel controlled heat as well as A/C (and was not a strip heater) but he didn't know if there was a separate furnace from the Truma. Also some Truma's have a hot water circulation loop that makes it really instant. The hot water control panel didn't seem to have any such controls as I know the circulation type can be turned off.

Battery box size

Like most MHs the coach's batteries are underneath the steps. The inside dimensions of that box are roughly 27Lx9WX10D inches. This is impossible for GC batteries (too high) and tight for a G31. Anyone added either of these batteries to a A/V? Can the bottom support plate be lowered (easily)?

All in all I liked the 2018 25.5 and I am sure I will like the 24.1 even better. Thor spent some money improving it for this year and it shows: curved cabinet lids with spring loaded closures, composite galley top with undermounted very large sink. Microwave moved below (yes some won't like this, but I do), Truma instant on hot water heater,.....

If anyone is in the market for a 2018 25.5 look it up on Rvtrader in RI. It won't last long for $71K. New is $100K+ and as the owner said, he is through with the new coach fights with Thor (and won most of them).

David

Old 09-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Gravity fill is on the passenger side rear.
Water heater has nothing to do with the coach heater.
They're seperate.
There is no selonoid valve for the propane.
(there is also no reason other than
Safety sally
Undocumented bull stories from someone's uncles dad to ever turn off the propane valve on the tank except when maintaining the system.

A hint
Only. Floor plans are different.
The features are all nearly identical.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Seems to me you need to mosey on over to the tech topics and download Ed's excellent crowd sourced Axis/Vegas owners manual. In it you'll find all the answers to your questions and much much more. By the time you're through with it you'll know more than any salesperson or even tech.

Said manual can be found around these parts:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nual-4961.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:13 PM   #4

THOR #20289
OK, I downloaded the latest issue (V 8.0, June 2019) of the guide. I will review it carefully and post any specific questions here. FWIW I am a mechanical/electrical techie kind of guy, so that guide should be really helpful.

David
Old 09-13-2020, 01:52 AM   #5

THOR #20289
I read, well skimmed the Guide. Very helpful and clarified and answered most of my questions. Some remain:

Instant on hot water heater This doesn't seem to be a Truma. Whose is it?

The battery box question is still open and so is the swivel seat one. I think I can answer my own battery box question- GC2 batteries won't fit and it won't be easy to add additional height by lowering the bottom plate.

I should have asked the owner of the 25.5 to show me how the driver's seat swivels, but he was pretty confident it was limited to 90 deg by the steering wheel.

David
Old 09-13-2020, 03:10 AM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:

Instant on hot water heater This doesn't seem to be a Truma. Whose is it?

David
I believe that it’s Gerard Tankless
Propane only, no electric option on mine.

Not sure what’s on 2018 & later models
Old 09-13-2020, 03:24 AM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post

I should have asked the owner of the 25.5 to show me how the driver's seat swivels, but he was pretty confident it was limited to 90 deg by the steering wheel.

David
The seat can rotate either 90 degrees
Or
180 degrees
But nothing in between

So if you want it to face to the rear, there’s a trick (I’ve posted the link below)
However, you need to put the slide out or you have no room for your legs and feet.

Link to rotate Vegas/Axis Drivers Seat 180 degrees
Old 09-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #8

THOR #20289
Thanks guys. I got all of my questions answered. You are great!!!

David