Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2019, 09:12 PM   #21

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
2017 Vegas 25.5 - Single slide
Like you’re doing, I did my homework and new I was going to be making a number of mods and patching up shoddy workmanship. I really wasn’t disappointed..
The other responders have done a good job. Here’s my take on it in addition...
The one thing that I was not prepared for was how loud the cabin was going to be. The insulation package for both heat and sound to the engine compartment is almost non-existent. I insulated the small doghouse with 3/4” thick HVAC foam rubber for ducts, then topped that with DEI fiberglass-foil 800° insulation. Helped big time. I did more insulation under the removable dash top and other points I could reach.
We also bought memory foam toppers for the two beds in the back that make into a king if you want.
Honestly, I have never put the slide out on this camper and I seriously doubt that I ever will. Easily 75% of all the problems you hear about with any RV are related to the slides. I don’t want to join that club and don’t need the extra space from the slide.

Frankly, I think that these motorhomes should have 19.5” tires on them rather than the 16” they come with. A couple of people on the net have made the conversion and I may join them when it comes time to replace the rubber.

Another thing that may catch you surprise is the track width. Normally a class A will have the same track width front and rear. Not with the Axis and Vegas. The front track width is much more narrow. So when you pull up to the curb and have it cleared with the right front by a short margin, the right rear is now scuffing and climbing that curb. Oh, and you also tear up the plastic fascia panel that trims out the bottom of your door....

If I were to do it over again, I may have selected the Class C just to get a bit more quiet in the cabin.
The 2019 ACE 30.4 I am getting was significantly quieter than my Leprechaun 260 DS (E450 Class C), including very gusty winds and on Interstate.

It has 19.5 inch wheels.

I didn’t pay attention to track width but expect the front wheels to line up somewhere with the rear duals. I don’t plan on parallel parking it, but if I did I’d align the outer rears.

I have had a bunch of RVs with slides. So far my only issue was a broken pin on the slide on my Arctic Fox pickup camper...the smallest slide I’ve owned. I fixed it easily.

I am religious about leveling before opening slide and not unleveling until the slide(s) are in. That got much easier with the hydraulic jacks on my Leprechaun. I’ll never get another RV without hydraulic jacks. Standard on Thor ACEs.

Edit: Well, I did have a slide related problem on the rear slide on the Leprechaun. I could see light through the seal. I noticed it on delivery. The dealership and Coachman eventually got it fixed at no cost to me. But it took repeated visits and about six months. The dealer also rerouted the slide wiring which they said Leprechaun did wrong and would have eventually worn the wires.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: New York
THOR #17148
My wife and I bought a used (42,000 miles) 2016 Vegas 25.2 (rear slide in bedroom, queen sized bed) last year. We’ve taken trips to/from North Dakota-NY, NC-NY and Minn-NY. We flat tow a 2014 Honda CR-V. We’ve had no real issues/problems. No problems with the slide. My furnace control panel was replaced ($130) and I had a SafT-Plus Steering stabilizer installed ($600). The Saf-T-Plus really improved handing on windy days or when being passed by semis. We really like the size: perfect for both of us and two small dogs.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #23

State: Georgia
THOR #1225
I have owned both the Axis and currently the Vegas. We traded in the Axis in on the Vegas. We weren't happy with the table and lack of counter space in the Axis. I love the Vegas. We've had a few wiring problems with the Vegas but all was covered by warranty. Only have 7K miles on it but haven't had any major slide or other problems.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:09 AM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #14755
Axis

The bride and I have a 2018 Axis 24.1 which we purchased at the end of 2017. Sure we had a few cosmetic issues which would have been done under warranty but the dealer messed that up. We also had one minor electrical unit problem attempting to find the fuse box for the radio. Thor referred us to Ford. Ford handled that in about 5 seconds and the tunes are a blasting.
The interior area size almost perfect for the bride and I and our big Berner Boy of 114 lbs. So far not issues with the slide out but get to know how to reset the slide out incase you can not get it back in, you can get this info from the slide company, Thor and on the net.
The exterior is good not perfect but good but you need to care for it. Top side is good but you need to do those needed inspections. Handling, I found it handled better than I expected...can you make it better making the handling modification sure but as for now it's all good.
I think for the bride, the dog and me we found it to be our keeper. So I'll say we are pleased and when contacting Thor on any issue they were very good with us and to us so far no problems there. As for our dealership, well they gave us a fantastic price but once we signed the papers and they got the money it was like there's the door happing motoring and well see ya when ya want a new one sort of thing. So we had the NY Attorney General assist and our warrant issues were corrected but it took some time.
The skinny on it all...love the Axis 24.1 and we think we made our best choice. So do your homework and if you choose an Axis...use it , travel safe, keep up with the looking at things to maintain and hit the wind and have fun!! the Piper K9 in NY
Old 11-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #25

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Lucysdad

Welcome to the forum this is a great place for information. Me the wife and a small dog have the 25.2 axis. We love it. From the gas mileage it's small enough to drive anywhere yet big enough for two or more to have all the room we need. Sure everyone's had some sort of problems but that's true about anything you buy nowadays .We've been all the way out west several times down to the Gulf Coast this is all from South Carolina not to mention cruising the Carolina coast all the way to Florida. Class a baby only way to go. Lol
Old 11-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysdad View Post
I am recently retired, new to RV's, and trying to decide which direction to go in. So far I have focused on class C's, but these 2 small Thor class A's have caught my eye. I would like to hear about experiences from real owners, specifically in the 24-25' class. We plan to travel in it, not live in it, and probably not tow, at least not often. I hear from many that Thor build quality is quite bad, but that seems to be a common problem with most RV's. And are slides as much of a problem as I have been reading? It seems that some have a lot of problems with the slides, is that something that can be remedied by some preventive maintenance? And the bedroom slide does not seem to prevent a problem while travelling, but does the front slide get in the way when it is not open? Any constructive answers will be appreciated.

Thanks

Lucysdad

I have a Vegas 24.1. We have really enjoyed it. Big window great view.

If I did it again I would try to get a Class C. Standard Ford Truck More items under Ford Warranty warranty on chassis, Easier to get in and out when traveling, Air bags, Safety features Etc.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #27

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post

If I did it again I would try to get a Class C. Standard Ford Truck More items under Ford Warranty warranty on chassis, Easier to get in and out when traveling, Air bags, Safety features Etc.
I thought should I have purchased a Class C can't say for everyone but when I got out of my Axis we got into a Class C I knew for me it was right decision . When traveling you see those Rockies in the distance through that big windshield not to mention everything else. It's like you're riding in a convertible. Class C definitely has its advantages. But it's so easy for my wife to go get me a snack or a drink while we Roll and Roll. Enjoying looking out that great big windshield that's what I sold it for me. All that and I didn't have to spend a million bucks.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post

Really good points on the safety features and air bags.
There are none on the Axis & Vegas.
The dashboards are flimsy and in a wreck it may well end up in your lap or worse.
We don’t ever move from our seats while the motorhome is rolling. Too darned easy to lose your balance and crack your cranium... It’s just not worth the risk.
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #29

State: North Carolina
THOR #8987
Presently we have. Vegas 24.1 2018, just finishing u a 6 month trip through 23 states. It has worked well for us with the exception of a few minor problems. We are having an issue with the water pump and tankless hot water heater but not so insurmountable that we needed to cancel our trip. Will get it repaired when we get home. One thing you should be aware of is that making the beds is a bear. Not a lot of room to maneuver around. All in all pretty satisfied. Did do some mods as installing a 4 point leveling system which makes life easier and upgraded the sway bars and steering damper which does improve driving performance.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #30

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
We find a class c to be the compromise they indeed are.
Some models have that overhead hangover which has become so bulbous it could have been designed by Chuck Jones(look him up).
The outside wall directly behind the doors, the two extra doors for no reason other than the cab compromise, the narrow stooping path to the coach from the cab.
It's all too restrictive for us.

I'm sure Fandom is a 50-50 split, but they just aren't for us.

We're all about comfort and ease and if we can work it in, the spectacular.
The axis vegas windshield and side view is spectacular.

We were ready to build our own until we found the axis and IT'S COMPROMISE which gives us the short, fast, maneuverable class A faced MotorHome we wanted.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Hi, we came 'down' from a 36' National then a 30' Gulfstream to an Axis 24.1 and then a Vegas 25.2 and we much prefer the rear bedroom slide and queen bed of the Vegas. There seems to be a lot more room in the Vegas, and I prefer the narrow body without the slide in the side on our roads. Never had a problem with the slide out on any of our RV's, although there are usually a few other niggles to keep you busy.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #32

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
I am recently retired, new to RV's, and trying to decide which direction to go in. So far I have focused on class C's, but these 2 small Thor class A's have caught my eye. I would like to hear about experiences from real owners, specifically in the 24-25' class. We plan to travel in it, not live in it, and probably not tow, at least not often.

.....cut.....

Axis/Vegas range from 25’-6” to 28’-6”, so not in same 24~25 foot range. That’s a big difference.

There are a lot more choices in 24~25 foot Class C (technically includes B+) size, which include motorhomes built on Ford E-Series, Ford Transit, Chevy, and Mercedes Sprinter.

There are Pros and Cons to Class As versus Class Cs. A forum search should help with that.

Regarding size mentioned above, many 24~25 foot Class Cs are built on chassis with wheelbase around 158 inches, which make them somewhat maneuverable in tighter places. Since not towing, you’ll be driving to stores, restaurants, etc. With my previous C that was around 24-ft long, I often parked in regular spots by letting the long rear overhang over a curve when there was nothing but grass on other side. The much longer 188 or 194 inch wheelbase of an Axis or Vegas may not allow for that.

If comparing Axis/Vegas to shorter Class C also on Ford E-Series chassis, the longer wheelbase will increase turning circle considerably. The Ford E-Series is relatively poor in this area, so the longer wheelbase and length will make driving in parking lots a bit tougher. On the other hand some Class Cs are wider than Axis/Vegas which doesn’t help.

There’s a reason that larger motorhomes tow more often than smaller ones. With my 24-ft Class C I managed fine without a toad, but when I’ve rented 27~30 foot Class Cs it’s made impromptu stops tougher. Size does make a difference (to me anyway), and my personal preference would be to keep it at 24 feet or shorter since I would not want to haul around a toad.

If possible, try renting each option for short trips. It’s expensive, but not that much higher than owning.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #33

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Axis/Vegas range from 25’-6” to 28’-6”, so not in same 24~25 foot range. That’s a big difference.

There are a lot more choices in 24~25 foot Class C (technically includes B+) size, which include motorhomes built on Ford E-Series, Ford Transit, Chevy, and Mercedes Sprinter.

There are Pros and Cons to Class As versus Class Cs. A forum search should help with that.

Regarding size mentioned above, many 24~25 foot Class Cs are built on chassis with wheelbase around 158 inches, which make them somewhat maneuverable in tighter places. Since not towing, you’ll be driving to stores, restaurants, etc. With my previous C that was around 24-ft long, I often parked in regular spots by letting the long rear overhang over a curve when there was nothing but grass on other side. The much longer 188 or 194 inch wheelbase of an Axis or Vegas may not allow for that.

If comparing Axis/Vegas to shorter Class C also on Ford E-Series chassis, the longer wheelbase will increase turning circle considerably. The Ford E-Series is relatively poor in this area, so the longer wheelbase and length will make driving in parking lots a bit tougher. On the other hand some Class Cs are wider than Axis/Vegas which doesn’t help.

There’s a reason that larger motorhomes tow more often than smaller ones. With my 24-ft Class C I managed fine without a toad, but when I’ve rented 27~30 foot Class Cs it’s made impromptu stops tougher. Size does make a difference (to me anyway), and my personal preference would be to keep it at 24 feet or shorter since I would not want to haul around a toad.

If possible, try renting each option for short trips. It’s expensive, but not that much higher than owning.
ACE wheelbase varies from 178 to 208 depending on model.

Width 99 on all, and most Class Cs.

I pull a Cherokee toad. Doesn’t affect mpg on my Class C. Haven’t tried yet on Axis.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
Axis wheelbase varies from 178 to 208 depending on model.

Width 99 on all, and most Class Cs.

I pull a Cherokee toad. Doesn’t affect mpg on my Class C. Haven’t tried yet on Axis.

Axis and Vegas have only been built with either 188” or 194” wheelbase. All have started with OEM 158” wheelbase chassis and then stretched to either 188 or 194.

All Axis and Vegas have been listed by Thor as 94” wide, which places them between most Transit and Sprinter Cs (90” very common), and more traditional Cs built on Chevy and Ford (99” common).

A shorter “Touring” Axis/Vegas in 23~24 foot length similar to what OP is considering in Cs would be cool, but I doubt Thor will move in that direction. Since start they just kept making them larger as they introduce new floorplans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F6C94CD-2321-4C1F-AF93-3F06B526DD41.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	21647  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #35

THOR #2121
P.S. — You may be looking at Ace motorhome specs instead of Axis.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #36

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
P.S. — You may be looking at Ace motorhome specs instead of Axis.
You are right! Edited post.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #37

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #14921
Just measured the width of my 2017 Vegas 25.5
It is 94” wide - body only at the rear. Then you have to add the awning and electric & water ports on the left side.
Water port is 1.25”
Awning is 5.5”
—-
Total body width is 100.75”
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:55 PM   #38

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #12227
Vegas 24.1

We own a 2016 Vegas 24.1. We bought it with 5K miles on it. We have done 2 trips so far. One was 5 weeks and put on about 6K miles. The 2nd was across Canada and down the east coast US putting on about 12K miles. The only problem we had was with the front remote blind where the motor failed. The motor manufacturer sent me a new one no charge with easy installation and programming instructions.

As far as fit and finish … the Vegas is a middle of the road unit kind of like a Chev. Its not a Lexus. You get what you pay for. But the config has worked well and no regrets. Tons of storage for a small unit. We use the slide all the time and have not yet had a problem.

I did several of the mods Ed talks about in his document referred to in other comments. I did put solar on and glad I did to keep the coach batteries charged as we do a lot of boondocking.

All in all I would buy the unit again. Have not yet towed with it, but it is a big engine and you should have no problems.

If the configuration of the 24.1 works for you I would recommend it.

Cheers
Old 11-29-2019, 01:46 AM   #39

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
I am recently retired, new to RV's, and trying to decide which direction to go in. So far I have focused on class C's, but these 2 small Thor class A's have caught my eye. I would like to hear about experiences from real owners, specifically in the 24-25' class. We plan to travel in it, not live in it, and probably not tow, at least not often. I hear from many that Thor build quality is quite bad, but that seems to be a common problem with most RV's. And are slides as much of a problem as I have been reading? It seems that some have a lot of problems with the slides, is that something that can be remedied by some preventive maintenance? And the bedroom slide does not seem to prevent a problem while travelling, but does the front slide get in the way when it is not open? Any constructive answers will be appreciated.

Thanks

Lucysdad

The first RV we got was a 25.2 Axis. Was big at first but got small REAL FAST. After 9 months I realized I loved RVing but not in a cracker box. I looked at a lot of Class A rv's. Fleetwood, Coachman,Winnabagos and others. I always came back to Thor and ended up with a Windsport 29m. It has a full side slideout, an upgraded King size mattress, and most anything you could want. Yes, things were not perfect and we spent a lot of time getting things fixed but the Gander RV in Statesville, NC is the best ever and Thor has treated me like a KING. We took a one month tour of America leaving NC and all the way to the Pacific Coast Highway with 7750 miles logged at places like Rushmore, Yellowstone, Coulee Dam, Reagan Library, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Colorado Springs, St. Louis and many more great places. Did not have one failure. Thor makes a good coach, and they will work with you if you give them a chance. I recommend the Windsport because you don't want to be crowded and have no room even on vacations or weekend get aways. Save a little more money and get the right coach THE FIRST TIME! Rent a small one for a week and see if you like something small---then make a decision is my advice!!!!! Bob
Old 11-29-2019, 04:29 AM   #40

THOR #17441
Keep in mind only those with issues post complaints.

The components of all gas powered RVs are essentially the same. The most important part, the chassis, is built by a major auto company and is the frame used on many trucks. The auto manufacturer warranty applies.

The other stuff, such as heaters, generator, A/C, microwave, refrigerator etc. come from one of a couple makers and are warranted by them. So the coach manufacturer is only accountable for the coach structure. While there can be issues there you will find they are few.

I have had many units from many makes over 50 years. While my experience ranks the design of Arctic Foxes more aligned with my wants I’ve had a few issues with them too.

It is unlikely you will find the perfect unit on your first try. Or fifth.

Pick one that meets your fancy and use it. You’ll learn what really matters to you.