Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2015, 05:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Smile Questions for Hurricane 27K owners

Forgive me if any of these have been addressed. I try searching prior to posting, but in some cases I don't know what "terms" to use.

We took delivery of our 2016 Hurricane 27K last week and are just now starting to go through it. We did have a decent PDI at the dealer, but then brought it home and had to ignore it due to many already- committed-to plans. Of course now we have questions on some things and are fuzzy on many others.

#1 - what is the screened-in compartment that sits below the dressing table & two drawers in the middle of the bedroom wall unit? I asked both the sales person and the tech who did our walk-through and neither had a definitive answer. They suggested it is some kind of "access" space to something. Pic attached...it's the dark area under the drawers.

#2 - we were told the little microphone clipped to the instrument panel that contains the radio is so that the driver can speak to whoever might be outside, under the rear camera. We can't make it work. Does anyone else have one? If so, how do you turn it on?

#3 - has anyone added a SiriusXM radio to their unit? If so, do you have a radio to suggest? We currently have the service in our two daily drivers, so the radios are built in. JMO, but I was surprised that Thor does not offer Sirius radio capability. Maybe they do on higher end coaches?

#4 - an oversight completely our fault, but we just realized the front passenger seat does not adjust! By that I mean it won't go back and forward. Has anyone found any way to modify that without too much expense?

#5 - has anyone explored ways to possibly increase the arm space in the shower? We looked at an ACE, and it had kind of an accordion-style shower door that was curved out at the top. The 27K door is straight-up glass panels...no way to bump out. Any ideas - without wrecking the warranty or the integrity of the shower unit?

Okay - enough for now. Sorry. I have lots of other questions, but will hold them for later.

Thanks for any input anyone has to offer!

Eileen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	463  

Old 05-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
Forgive me if any of these have been addressed. I try searching prior to posting, but in some cases I don't know what "terms" to use.

#2 - we were told the little microphone clipped to the instrument panel that contains the radio is so that the driver can speak to whoever might be outside, under the rear camera. We can't make it work. Does anyone else have one? If so, how do you turn it on?

#3 - has anyone added a SiriusXM radio to their unit? If so, do you have a radio to suggest? We currently have the service in our two daily drivers, so the radios are built in. JMO, but I was surprised that Thor does not offer Sirius radio capability. Maybe they do on higher end coaches?

Okay - enough for now. Sorry. I have lots of other questions, but will hold them for later.

Thanks for any input anyone has to offer!

Eileen
#2 - If you have the Axxerra radio in your coach that little microphone is for the Bluetooth feature and enables hands free phone operation.

#3 - I have the Sirius ONYX radio that I mounted on the dash and I placed the antenna in the center of the dash at the windshield. So far reception has been relatively good unless I am travelling where the trees are in abundance or in the mountains. I did remove the top part of the dash and ran the audio cable into the jack at the rear of the vehicle radio so that is one less cable plugging into the front of the unit. I am still looking for a good adapter so I can hard wire the cradle into 12V power and remove that from the front of the dash. I also have the home kit for the radio so it can be connected to the Jensen radio in the bedroom to provide music through the outside speakers if desired.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

THOR #2005
Thank you so much, Dave! That's interesting about the microphone! The tech who did our walk through with us swore up and down it was so the "driver" could speak with the person outside the coach & in the view of the rear camera! He neglected to show us how it actually worked, so I think he was making it up as he went along!

And thanks for the great info about adapting a Sirius radio - we will definitely look into that. We've become so used to our satellite radio on trips with our car and really would like to be able to have it available on RV trips as well.

Appreciate the help!!

Eileen
Old 05-26-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In the interim, before you purchase a SXM radio, you can use the smartphone app and stream Sirius over bluetooth to the radio (as long as you're in cell phone range).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #5

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
In the interim, before you purchase a SXM radio, you can use the smartphone app and stream Sirius over bluetooth to the radio (as long as you're in cell phone range).
Thank you Jamie!

Unfortunately we don't have smartphones. We use Tracfone pay-as-you-go phones. Could we use my iPad?

Also, do you know if I would have to have an additional paid subscription to do the streaming? I can stream on my home computer because of a lifetime subscription we have on one of our vehicles. Not sure if I can stream via another device without paying another fee. I will certainly check it out!

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Thank you so much, Dave! That's interesting about the microphone! The tech who did our walk through with us swore up and down it was so the "driver" could speak with the person outside the coach & in the view of the rear camera! He neglected to show us how it actually worked, so I think he was making it up as he went along!

And thanks for the great info about adapting a Sirius radio - we will definitely look into that. We've become so used to our satellite radio on trips with our car and really would like to be able to have it available on RV trips as well.

Appreciate the help!!

Eileen
Apparently your salesman wasn't aware of the fact that the microphone connected to the rear camera is one way only. The person outside can talk to the driver however the driver cannot talk to the person on the outside of the vehicle. My wife loves this because she can complain at me all she wants while I'm backing the coach and there isn't a word I can say that she will hear.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Apparently your salesman wasn't aware of the fact that the microphone connected to the rear camera is one way only. The person outside can talk to the driver however the driver cannot talk to the person on the outside of the vehicle. My wife loves this because she can complain at me all she wants while I'm backing the coach and there isn't a word I can say that she will hear.
Wow - so again no one at the dealership knows what's going on!

Now I have a new question - how does the driver hear what the person outside is saying? We tried this yesterday and neither of us could hear the other. Does the coach have to be in reverse or is there a button somewhere to activate the function?

Thanks Dave!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #8

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
LOL - too funny!!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Now I have a new question - how does the driver hear what the person outside is saying?...
When you are displaying the rear camera, crank up the radio's volume.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelic
Unfortunately we don't have smartphones. We use Tracfone pay-as-you-go phones. Could we use my iPad?

Also, do you know if I would have to have an additional paid subscription to do the streaming? I can stream on my home computer because of a lifetime subscription we have on one of our vehicles. Not sure if I can stream via another device without paying another fee. I will certainly check it out!
Yes you can use the SXM app on the iPad. No you don't need another subscription, just use the same user id/password in the SXM app on the iPad. Although you can't stream both at the same time (the running a 2nd one will log out the first one).

Note that if your iPad is WiFi only you'll need a hotspot or some other mechanism to get to the internet while driving down the road.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #11

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yes you can use the SXM app on the iPad. No you don't need another subscription, just use the same user id/password in the SXM app on the iPad. Although you can't stream both at the same time (the running a 2nd one will log out the first one).

Note that if your iPad is WiFi only you'll need a hotspot or some other mechanism to get to the internet while driving down the road.
Terrific!!

Thank you Jamie for the help! My iPad is both WiFi and 3g capable. Can't wait to try this out!
Old 05-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #12

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
When you are displaying the rear camera, crank up the radio's volume.
Thank you Beacher! When hubby gets home from his errands I'll surprise him with the solution! I appreciate the info!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Wow - so again no one at the dealership knows what's going on!

Now I have a new question - how does the driver hear what the person outside is saying? We tried this yesterday and neither of us could hear the other. Does the coach have to be in reverse or is there a button somewhere to activate the function?

Thanks Dave!
I am not 100 percent positive but I believe the coach must be in reverse for the microphone on the rear camera to function. This eliminates the wind noise when viewing the rear camera while travelling. Again, I'm not positive on this and will need to check it out when my wife finishes dog and house sitting for my daughter later this week..
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Yep, my hurricane has the same, put coach in reverse, turn the radio volume up loud...and listen. One way radio only though. I know a lot of people use the little walkie talkies instead. So far I have only back in to a few RV spots, and my wife just guided me while I could see her in my drivers side mirror, and no problem. Not real impressed with the sound quality anyways, and she sort of had to yell....nothing like the whole park watching you try to back in your spot
Old 05-27-2015, 05:32 AM   #15

THOR #2005
Thanks folks!! Haven't had the chance to try this today, but will do so shortly. It's great to get answers from experienced users - thanks again!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Outside microphone -

Not sure if your model works the same as my 2015 Windsport 27K, but it has a really neat feature I discovered by accident. Instead of relying on reverse to turn on the rear camera and microphone, just select the 4-way emergency flashers. On mine, the rear view camera and microphone come on and stay on as long as the flashers are selected.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Not sure if your model works the same as my 2015 Windsport 27K, but it has a really neat feature I discovered by accident. Instead of relying on reverse to turn on the rear camera and microphone, just select the 4-way emergency flashers. On mine, the rear view camera and microphone come on and stay on as long as the flashers are selected.
Interesting. I'll have to give that a try and see if it works on my rig.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-03-2015, 04:22 AM   #18

THOR #2005
Thanks Tom! We will check this out in the next day or so when we get out to the coach. Great suggestion!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Tried the 4 ways on my coach last night and the rear view camera came on. I didn't have anyone outside to test the microphone. I'll try that later.
FMCA - F432054