Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2020, 11:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #19397
Quick-to-die House Battery

HI. Checked the forum posts and didn't see anything recent on this.

I have a 2018 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24 SS. We have been on the road now for about 5 weeks, and on two occasions, when we took an AirBnB, our house batteries were dead in less than two days. I had the refrigerator running on gas, no lights on, no a/c, no NOTHING.

Am I missing something? I checked if the frig would run if I turned off the shore power switch and it won't. The batteries at this point are 2.5 years old, and I'm thinking about stopping tomorrow and having them checked since we will be visiting someone who can't have the rig in his yard, so our frig will be on gas for 4 days. If necessary, I'll just replace the two house batteries, but my concern is that I'm missing something here, and the documentation that came with this rig is too minimal to provide any assistance.

Thank you in advance.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:57 PM   #2

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAW2018SiestaSS View Post

I have a 2018 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24 SS. We have been on the road now for about 5 weeks, and on two occasions, when we took an AirBnB, our house batteries were dead in less than two days. I had the refrigerator running on gas, no lights on, no a/c, no NOTHING.

Am I missing something? I checked if the frig would run if I turned off the shore power switch and it won't. The batteries at this point are 2.5 years old, and I'm thinking about stopping tomorrow and having them checked since we will be visiting someone who can't have the rig in his yard, so our frig will be on gas for 4 days. If necessary, I'll just replace the two house batteries, but my concern is that I'm missing something here, and the documentation that came with this rig is too minimal to provide any assistance.

Thank you in advance.

Have you got a twelve volt refrigerator
Old 09-22-2020, 12:05 AM   #3

THOR #19397
It is a Norcold. The control circuit is 12 v, but the refrigerator will operate on 120 v ac if that is available AND the control switch is in Automatic. I make sure I put it in the Gas mode when I can't put shore power to the rig.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:07 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
He said that the 'Fridge was running on gas...
At two and a-half years old: the batteries should still have some life in them. How are their water levels?
Worst case: you might need to run the generator a couple of hours each day...
Old 09-22-2020, 12:28 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:

Thank you in advance.
The first thing to do is test the batteries. There are only three ways to test flooded batteries (non VRLA). Easiest is to spend the buck and buy a battery load tester and see if they can accept a load. The second ways is to pull the batteries and take them to NAPA, Autozone, Advanced Auto, or any other FLAPS and have then load tested. Lastly, you can use a battery hydrometer to check the acid in your batteries. I still use a little 5 colored ball one that I bought 40 years ago. Testing your batteries will help point you toward your problem.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:34 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Refer, parasitic draws like smoke detector, LPG detector, radio presets combined with low later levels in the batteries could be the culprit. Please explain the airBnB while on the road in your RV.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:43 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
...Please explain the airBnB while on the road in your RV.
Maybe they just felt like crapping in someone else's toilet...
Old 09-22-2020, 01:49 AM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Before you pull your batteries out
TAKE PLENTY OF PICTURES OF The Wiring SET UP.
It's a very typical giant fail to not remember where all the wires go.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:12 AM   #9

THOR #19397
Our daughter and son-in-law, who we haven't seen in 9 months because of COVID - we live in Florida, they in San Jose - joined us in Utah for a tour of Zion. 4 adults in our 25' Siesta is a non-starter so we booked an AirBnB.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #10

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Drain those batteries once and they’ll never be the same. Updated ours to 2 agm’s added a 100 watt solar panel and havent had an issue since. Well worth the investment.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #11

THOR #19397
Bob - you win. I had not checked one bank of one battery because the jumper to the second house battery prevented access. So, I overcame my laziness, took off the jumper, and discovered two of three cells bone dry. Replaced the battery. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #12

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Bob - you win....
"Maybe they just felt like crapping in someone else's toilet..."
Old 09-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Bob - you win. I had not checked one bank of one battery because the jumper to the second house battery prevented access. So, I overcame my laziness, took off the jumper, and discovered two of three cells bone dry. Replaced the battery. Thanks for the help.
I guess even a blind hog can still find the occasional acorn...
I wish I was wrong, and it was something less drastic; but I'm glad to have helped.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10883
Fridge ops

I believe you will find the fridge only runs on 12 vdc and the indicator light for ac really means its getting the power from the inverter charger and not the batteries. A dc motor will not operate on ac voltage.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #15

THOR #15069
My battery story is a little different but this could happen to anyone be warned.
I bought a new 2018 Gemini TX my 2 house batteries lasted 1month then died right in my driveway before I even took a trip. I had them replaced under warranty by the dealer in Albany NY. I found out later the new original house batteries had been taken out and replaced with old batteries by who I don't know the RV was new when I bought it. On my first trip with my new RV you guessed it the engine battery died. Found out the new Mercedes battery had been cannibalized and replaced with an old used interstate battery sometime before I took the RV home from the dealer. The engine battery in the sprinter is under the floor in front of the front seat so you would never know it was tampered with. I was lucky a local Mercedes dealer replaced the battery with no charge. I reported this to Thor customer service but the rep sounded mostly disinterested and said it was a dealer issue. Dealer of course denied any knowledge.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:09 PM   #16

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
[QUOTE=MaceMan;256889]I believe you will find the fridge only runs on 12 vdc and the indicator light for ac really means its getting the power from the inverter charger and not the batteries. A dc motor will not operate on ac voltage.[

RVs use both AC, alternating current, and DC, direct current, to power the components of your electrical system. The 12-volt DC system runs the electrical components of the engine and battery of your ride while the 120-volt AC system runs all the typical appliances and power outlets found on most RVs
Old 09-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #17

State: North Carolina
THOR #5767
Just replace them. I waited and then had to do them on the road.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #18

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I replaced both of my house batteries back in December. I recently added the Flow-Rite MP2000 dual battery water system to it. Now I only have to pump the water in by hand through one hose. No more having to remove each cap and check each cell. It makes the job much easier. The system replaces the battery caps and connects both batteries together with a watering line. It can not overflow the individual cells. It costs around $70.00 with the optional hand pump bulb on Amazon.

Paul
Old 09-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceMan View Post
I believe you will find the fridge only runs on 12 vdc and the indicator light for ac really means its getting the power from the inverter charger and not the batteries. A dc motor will not operate on ac voltage.
Wrong on so many levels:

No DC motor in an RV fridge

Always needs 12 VDC for control power

Heat is created by:

1 - Propane, or
2 - 120 VAC heating element.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #20

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
No DC motor in an RV fridge
Careful... even Dometic now makes DC compressor reefers.