Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 28Z
State: Colorado
THOR #6386
Just purchased a 2013 Freedom Elite 28Z

Hi all, first post on this forum. Not sure whether there is a specific forum or thread for the Freedom Elite, but I'm sure you will let me know.

This is our third Class C, and I despite the huge across the back storage basement, we had a hard time moving our stuff from our Coachmen Freedom to our Freedom Elite. So downsizing has begun. No longer will be able to haul the things we "might need", just limited to those things we will need.

I have already begun installing two removable partitions in the huge 4 foot by 7 foot storage space. Has anyone else done something similar?

Wondering how hard it is to change the interior lights to those which will allow only one of the two bulbs to be illuminated. I was hoping to simply replace the switches, but I fear it would requite new fixtures where ever I need that capability.

Anxious to "meet" other FE 28Z owners.

USAF Retired
2013 Freedom Elite 28Z
Ford E-450
SpadGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Switching the lights should be fairly easy. There are several models of lights with two bulbs and a slide switch that allow one, both, or off. If your lights are controlled by a wall switch you can still use the lights with switches, wall switch would control main power, slide switch would control individual lights.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadGuy
Wondering how hard it is to change the interior lights to those which will allow only one of the two bulbs to be illuminated. I was hoping to simply replace the switches, but I fear it would requite new fixtures where ever I need that capability.
They aren't already that way? All of the fixtures in our Axis are like that--even the ones on a wall switch.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Hello SpadGuy and welcome to the Forum. There are tons of helpful and knowledgeable people on here. Just ask and there is always someone here to share their knowledge.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #5

THOR #6386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
They aren't already that way? All of the fixtures in our Axis are like that--even the ones on a wall switch.
No, mine are two bulb fixtures with a switch position of off or on. I need three position switches; Off, One bulb on, Both bulbs on.

USAF Retired
2013 Freedom Elite 28Z
Ford E-450
Old 02-03-2017, 12:53 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
State: Florida
THOR #1907
28z

We have a 15 Four Winds 28Z and it came with the 3-way light fixture you describe. Also the lights are LED so they don't consume as much power and give off heat, good thing here in Florida. We love the floor plan and the "basement" storage area. We have yet to even coming close to filling it.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:07 AM   #7

THOR #6386
Freedom Elite 28Z Storage Partitioning Project Complete

Hi again, I have completed my partitioning of the rear storage bay. I have posted photos with explanations here on Flickr https://flic.kr/s/aHskNczxrq. But here they are if you'd like to have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9874.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	3849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9875.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	3850  

Name:	IMG_9878.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	3851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9883.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	3852  

USAF Retired
2013 Freedom Elite 28Z
Ford E-450
Old 02-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
mine are two bulbs with a single throw rocker switch.

One one point, I was looking into changing it out for a double throw switch so that I could burn one bulb or both. I think I might have even ordered some rockers from ebay or someplace..... but never ended up doing it.
It would have been a very easy mod if you can do basic wiring.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #9

THOR #9341
Hello SpadGuy. Nice modification to break up and organize all that space! We have our eyes on buying a 2013 Thor 28Z and this was one of the more recent and relevant posts, so I thought I would ask you a few questions if you don't mind. Really for anyone that has a 2013 28Z and is reading this. Thanks.

1. What do you think about the step halfway down the sides of the bed? She thinks it is going to be a terrible inconvenience, but I think that perhaps you would just sit on the bed at floor level before the step and pivot onto the bed anyway.

2. Does it have leveling jacks?

3. Our current MH has engine coolant going back to run an additional heater with fan about half way back and also going to a heat exchanger in the water heater. Does this coach have that?

4. In addition to the big storage compartment in the back, how much room is there in the other basement compartments?

Thanks for your help. It will be interesting to hear what you think of it after using it this summer.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
28H - same as 28Z?

We have the 28H and one of the reasons Mr. Homer liked it so much was the huge storage area in the rear. He has it organized very nicely but I will definitely be showing him the partition idea.

The step off the bed is not an issue for us. The corgi likes to sleep there - sometimes as we are going down the road!
Old 09-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
No problem w/ the step at all.
I don't think it has anything like that, just the furnace.
I don't even think jacks were an option???
There are 2-3 other smallish (small suitcase) sized ones. I keep leveling blocks and tools in one, grill in the other. Why do you need more storage than the closet in the back!
Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkyrvr View Post

....cut....

1. What do you think about the step halfway down the sides of the bed? She thinks it is going to be a terrible inconvenience, but I think that perhaps you would just sit on the bed at floor level before the step and pivot onto the bed anyway.

....cut.....
We've traveled in the Thor 28A before, which as far as I know has the same bedroom as the 28Z, and did not have an issue with getting into bed.

However, on one 3-week trip with my parents (we let them have the bedroom), my mother who was already fairly old at the time, and also short, complained about how hard it was to get into bed. At her age going up any steps was challenging. We worked around the problem by using a short plastic folding step next to bed.

At least in the 28A floorplan, the bed was a little too high for her to crawl into, and the high step over the MegaStorage rear compartment was way too tall for her to use as an intermediate landing. Long-term a permanent step on the passenger side for her to use could have been added.

Depending on your size and physical abilities, I guess it's a legitimate question/concern.

By the way, the picture below is very close to the 28A we rented, and shows large step over storage compartment -- just to make sure I'm discussing the same issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5631.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	7180  
Old 10-03-2017, 01:53 AM   #13

THOR #6386
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkyrvr View Post
Hello SpadGuy. Nice modification to break up and organize all that space! We have our eyes on buying a 2013 Thor 28Z and this was one of the more recent and relevant posts, so I thought I would ask you a few questions if you don't mind. Really for anyone that has a 2013 28Z and is reading this. Thanks.

They are what they are. No problems getting into the bed, but the side platforms can be in the way when putting things into the side closets.

2. Does it have leveling jacks?

No leveling jacks, but could be added for a pretty penny with third party system. We have plastic blocks and they work just fine, and the price is right.

3. Our current MH has engine coolant going back to run an additional heater with fan about half way back and also going to a heat exchanger in the water heater. Does this coach have that?

I don't think so. Perhaps yours was modified??

4. In addition to the big storage compartment in the back, how much room is there in the other basement compartments?

The other compartments are SMALL. The smallest one on the right side just in front of the large bay door holds my took box. There is a larger one on the right side just in front of the entrance door.

When it comes to the big bay and the divisions I made, it is still working ok. BUT, you must make sure the stuff in the compartments under the lids in each divided compartment is NOT something you use frequently. I find myself having to unload stuff in order to get at the hidden stuff far too often. I also forget which bay they are in. Old person memory loss, LOL.

Thanks for your help. It will be interesting to hear what you think of it after using it this summer.

SpadGuy

USAF Retired
2013 Freedom Elite 28Z
Ford E-450
Old 10-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #14

THOR #9341
Thanks for the help!

Tags
freedom elite 28z