Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2023, 08:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #2667
Thor Axis - fuses

Thor Axis 24.1 Getting ready to head out on a trip... had some work done, including battery replacement... now some things are not working. Lights in the bedroom don't work. Radio and monitor won't work, though there is power to other buttons like the windshield shade.

I had to replace my laptop and seem to have lost the manual that a very industrious member put together, so I'd love that link... and I hope there is a diagram for the fuses so I can check them.

For those who don't know, there are at least three sets of fuses... one is combined with the circuit breakers under the refrigerator, one is under the dash on the driver's side, and one is inside the outside storage door underneath the driver's seat... so there is no intuitive way to just check all the fuses...

Anybody out there who can help - we are supposed to be leaving and these are not crippling, but are darned inconvenient! I especially miss my back up camera...

Old 05-15-2023, 09:37 PM   #2

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Wishing you the best. The link is here:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...ists-2488.html

Or here may be better:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nual-4961.html
Old 05-15-2023, 09:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Who installed your battery?
They either didn't connect all cables properly or momentarily connected them improperly causing breakers to trip and/or fuses to blow.

Bedroom lights don't work - do any house lights work? Fridge? Water heater? Furnace?

Inventory all things that don't work for better responses. My guess at this point is that the 50 amp breaker between the battery(s) and the DC buss is either tripped or not connected.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:02 AM   #4

THOR #2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Thanks... that is exactly what I was looking for. I found the appendix with the fuse box... diagram and notes on which fuse is for the radio. I fixed on fuse - the lights in the bedroom... that fuse was actually in the box under the refrigerator next to the circuit breakers. I never knew this before, but when one of those fused blows, it lights a little red light next to it. That one is fixed.

I crawled under the drivers seat - not easy for a fat old man with an oxygen tank - and found that the fuses in the box next to the brake pedal are a different type than the standard "mini" that I have. Tomorrow I'll go out in daylight and see if I can use the diagram and my tester to see if the radio fuse is blown. Right now, that is all that is not functioning.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:07 AM   #5

THOR #2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Who installed your battery?
They either didn't connect all cables properly or momentarily connected them improperly causing breakers to trip and/or fuses to blow.

Bedroom lights don't work - do any house lights work? Fridge? Water heater? Furnace?

Inventory all things that don't work for better responses. My guess at this point is that the 50 amp breaker between the battery(s) and the DC buss is either tripped or not connected.
I've got everything working except the radio. Unfortunately, that includes the display for my back up and side cameras. If the fuse is OK, then I'm going to have to think it is a detached wire. I had the guy tighten up the whole console unit which vibrated something awful... I didn't realize the radio didn't work because the unit went back into storage and I drove it with the house battery switch on storage.
Old 05-16-2023, 02:31 PM   #6

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Good for you! That driver's foot well fusebox was designed by a skinny youngster.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:32 PM   #7

THOR #2667
update

so... I checked the fuses and they seem to be good... so I just have to assume that something is wrong with the power... possibly a wire got disconnected

OR

when I swapped out the house batteries... and unlike the rest of the console, the radio operates on the house batteries... is there some kind of "reset" necessary for the radio?
Old 05-16-2023, 09:01 PM   #8

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningglory View Post
I've got everything working except the radio. Unfortunately, that includes the display for my back up and side cameras. If the fuse is OK, then I'm going to have to think it is a detached wire. I had the guy tighten up the whole console unit which vibrated something awful... I didn't realize the radio didn't work because the unit went back into storage and I drove it with the house battery switch on storage.
Most radios have inline fuse behind the radio. The only way to access most of them is to remove the radio which will give u access to all of the wiring for the stereo. Good Luck
Old 05-16-2023, 09:04 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
so... I checked the fuses and they seem to be good... so I just have to assume that something is wrong with the power... possibly a wire got disconnected

OR

when I swapped out the house batteries... and unlike the rest of the console, the radio operates on the house batteries... is there some kind of "reset" necessary for the radio?
Have you tried resetting the radio by pushing/holding thr reset button on the faceplate in for 30 seconds?

BTW, when you are testing the other house DC loads are you plugged into SP or testing on just the batteries?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:44 PM   #10

THOR #2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Have you tried resetting the radio by pushing/holding thr reset button on the faceplate in for 30 seconds?

BTW, when you are testing the other house DC loads are you plugged into SP or testing on just the batteries?

Thanks... I tested on SP and on Battery... everything else seems to run both ways...

But there is a reset button, Huh?! I've got to go out and check that. I have this niggling little memory that maybe at some time years ago, I was able to push something and get this booted up again... thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:24 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3723
Store/Use

I think the radio is powered by the coach batteries. Therefore, the USE/STORE switch needs to be in USE.

625 amp/hrs AGM's, 600 watts solar, Xantrex 2000 Inverter, Xantrex ProWatt Transfer w/remote switch
Bogart Engineering Controller, Surge Guard w/remote
Don_Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 10:54 PM   #12

THOR #2667
Quote:
Thanks... I tested on SP and on Battery... everything else seems to run both ways...

But there is a reset button, Huh?! I've got to go out and check that. I have this niggling little memory that maybe at some time years ago, I was able to push something and get this booted up again... thanks for the reminder.
Well darn... I just held each button in for 30 seconds, then found the reset "button" - one of those little "push it with a bent paper clip" type buttons. Tried it - no luck! I was sure hoping that would be the ticket...
Old 05-20-2023, 06:35 PM   #13

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
We had our coach batteries replaced and now our coach lights flicker and go very low especially in the bathroom While on shore power. Don’t see it on battery. Still haven’t been able to figure it out. But we do have power to everything. Would be very interested if your batteries were reconnected incorrectly or what.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:47 PM   #14

State: Ontario
THOR #8849
I had some similar problems turned out to be the chasis battery breaker.
I did not see where you reset that one.
Best of luck!
Rick
Old 05-22-2023, 12:31 AM   #15

THOR #2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAuz View Post
I had some similar problems turned out to be the chasis battery breaker.
I did not see where you reset that one.
Best of luck!
Rick
If that is the little switch on the left wall of the battery space beneath the stairs for the two house batteries - yes, I did throw that before installing the house batteries and then closed it again after the installation. Everything else that operates off that, including all the lights and outlets, work fine. I just cant get the radio/touchscreen to turn on. I'm just assuming a detached wire or a dedicated fuse in the line in addition to the ones in the box that appear to be operating fine.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:47 AM   #16

THOR #2667
Update

Thanks for your help! an update...

so... not a single problem but several.

The lights in the bedroom were fixed by replacing a fuse in the box under the refrigerator. I knew there were circuit breakers there, but had forgotten there is a bank of fuses there. The good news is that when one of those fuses go bad, a little red indicator light goes on next to it. I wish other fuses had that!

So... I now know there are four different fuse boxes on this thing in addition to in-line fuses here and there. One in the engine compartment, one in the driver footwell next to the brake pedal, one in the outside compartment beneath the driver's seat, and one below the refrigerator.

The refrigerator was a dual problem. Our driveway is at an angle and leveling is not possible without purchasing ramps. The refrigerator has worked there before, but didn't this time. When I moved it to the street - also not level but with nose going downhill rather than uphill, the refrigerator started working. Problem solved - until it wasn't...

four days on the road later, refrigerator quit working again. I took off the outside cover, cleaned out whatever debris I could... could hear a clicking noise I assumed was the refrigerator trying to turn on. I took to jiggling wires and found one that may have snugged up when I pushed on it. Whatever I did, refrigerator has started working again.

So all that remains is the radio/screen that will not turn on. Even using the reset button, it remains dead, so I'm assuming that when I had the guy tighten up the console to stop it from vibrating so much, a wire was knocked loose or an inline fuse that I can't see or reach is blown.

People seem to talk about removing the radio to check the back for problems pretty casually, but I have no idea how to do that. Is there some simple trick to pulling that radio that I don't know?

thanks again, all y'all, for the tips and support!
Old 05-22-2023, 03:35 AM   #17

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
YouTube videos.
Butterknife din radio removal.
You'll need two butterknives or the galvanized
"What the hell are these" tools in your document bag.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #18

State: Ontario
THOR #8849
If that is the little switch on the left wall of the battery space beneath the stairs for the two house batteries - yes, I did throw that before installing the house batteries and then closed it again after the installation. Everything else that operates off that, including all the lights and outlets, work fine. I just cant get the radio/touchscreen to turn on. I'm just assuming a detached wire or a dedicated fuse in the line in addition to the ones in the box that appear to be operating fine.

There is also one beside the chasis battery under the hood. My 2016 AXIS uses that one for the radio and niight/sun shade.

Full credit to you for tackeling the problems. I have also learned so much from the generous people on this forum!
Good Luck Rick
Old 05-30-2023, 03:54 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #11769
Accessing the radio.

Quote:

So all that remains is the radio/screen that will not turn on. Even using the reset button, it remains dead, so I'm assuming that when I had the guy tighten up the console to stop it from vibrating so much, a wire was knocked loose or an inline fuse that I can't see or reach is blown.

People seem to talk about removing the radio to check the back for problems pretty casually, but I have no idea how to do that. Is there some simple trick to pulling that radio that I don't know?
On the Axis/Vegas, the radio doesn't necessarily need to be removed to access it if there is an inline fuse. Open up the top cover. Just two screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3528.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	42115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3527.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	42116  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3526.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	42117  
Old 06-01-2023, 12:59 AM   #20

THOR #2667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey & Tana Jackson View Post
On the Axis/Vegas, the radio doesn't necessarily need to be removed to access it if there is an inline fuse. Open up the top cover. Just two screws.
Thank you! That is amazing... I just never thought to look up there! I'll see what I can see - thanks so much for the tip!