Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5599
radio volume turns off when side video cameras turn on

I have a new 2018 Thor Windsport. when I put on the turn signal, the side camera comes on like it shuld but the radio volume shuts off. It there a setting I am missing on the radio?

Old 11-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'd say that it wants you to pay attention to what you're seeing; rather than what you're hearing... but mine doesn't do that...
A loose connection perhaps?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:02 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.3
State: Texas
THOR #6728
My 2018 Palazzo does that. I suspect it's by design. It is annoying.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Typically the radio only cuts out when put into reverse. Does it cut out for both left and right turns? (Sometimes they miswire it and it only cuts out for left, or only for right when it should cut out for just reverse.)

This also depends on if the switching is done within the radio or in the box (the old Jensens had camera and auto-switch inputs--there was a settings screen on the radio where you could turn off the audio input from each camera). Perhaps the radio has an on/off setting you can use.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
My 2018 Windsport 29M does the same thing. This has been commonly mentioned on posts. More than likely a design function. I never dived into the menu functions on the radio for this, but it is possible it is a default setting that can be changed.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Our 2017 Windsport was the same. I installed a 9” quad view monitor on the dash and can now see all cameras at the same time, problem solved. Before installing the monitor I looked thru the radio menus and didn’t see anything referring to volume or turn signals.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #7

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Yall have me wondering about mine! I THOUGHT it only changed the screen to the camera, leaving the music on.
In fact, that is what it does, because, several times I have wanted to turn the volumn down but couldn't until the camera went off. Aggravating!

So while I'm not really "happy" with the Axerra unit in mine, I'm getting more familiar with it and adjusting to it.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Mississippi
THOR #8822
My 2018 Thor ACE does that, too. I actually don't like the side cameras at all and am going to unhook them. Fortunately for me they connect right under the access panel in front of steering wheel. I prefer using the mirrors themselves and find that looking over to the radio is a distraction while turning / changing lanes. Plus, I like to leave the rear camera on so I can watch our Jeep while driving... but every time I use a turn signal, I have to tap around on the screen to get the rear camera back on.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:56 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
My Axxera radio turns the volume down when you put the turn signal on. Was told by the dealership that this was a design function.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:05 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
As a general rule our radio doesn't play when a camera is on. Sometimes if you get the right sequence of selecting the camera, radio, and ignition on/off and back on the radio will play all the time and show the cameras. You just can't control anything on the radio.
Stupid set up but we live with it since I like to keep the rear camera on when ever we are moving.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #11

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I can understand it killing the volume when the backup camera is on, especially if there is a microphone in back, but there is no rational reason for it to do so when the side camera's are turned on. I would think its mis-wired. Its new, get the dealer to fix it while you are still under warrantee.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #12

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I had a 2017 Chateau, and it muted the stereo when I used the turn signals unless I selected the rear view camera mode, so I normally drove with the rear camera display on.

I have a new 2018 Chateau with a different model Axxera, and even after selecting the rear camera mode it mutes when I use a turn signal, and then it switches out of the rear view camera mode. So they took an annoying feature and managed to make it even more annoying.

I head that there is an orange wire, which is the camera input signal. If you cut this wire it will no longer mute your stereo and switch modes when you use a turn signal, but it also won't automatically display the rear camera when you go into reverse. I may cut this wire since it's not a big deal to select the rear camera display when you need it.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
I have a 2018 Four Winds and also did not like the fact that the sound of the radio was muted when you used the turn signals. I also like to have the rear camera on all the time. After using the turn signal the radio would go back to radio and not the rear camera, thus it was more of a distraction, having to push the home button then reselect camera. I cut the orange trigger wire, and using the turn signals now only shows the side camera, then it goes back to the rear camera, and does not mute the radio. When reversing you have to select rear camera, but is no big deal.
Had to remove the dog house to get to the wiring at the rear of the radio. At the same time discovered a 12 volt power source which was to power the radio, which I used to install an additional 2 USB power plug ins.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Our 2017 Challenger does the same thing, and as already pointed out by someone, it’s been discussed enough in the forums that I’m sure it’s a design function. Big Brother doesn’t think we can change lanes or turn a corner while the radio is on.

I’ve yet to try the fix others suggested, leaving the rear view cam on while driving. I haven’t played the radio much while driving so far, but I’m sure I will.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
My 2016 ACE with the Axxera radio does not do this. If you look at the manual you will see there are two video-in connections: one by itself and one with a companion audio connection. The cameras are connected to the video-in without audio which is designed for a back-up camera.

If they were connected to the other video-in then the sound would be expected to come from the companion audio-in, so no sound.

Maybe the newer radios don't have a "backup camera" video-in or maybe they are connected to a video-in with a companion audio-in or maybe there is a way to setup the AV in to not use the audio?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:03 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Our 2017 Windsport was the same. I installed a 9” quad view monitor on the dash and can now see all cameras at the same time, problem solved. Before installing the monitor I looked thru the radio menus and didn’t see anything referring to volume or turn signals.
Me too except I used the 10" quad view.
Really makes the whole system usable instead of a distraction.
I like the fact that in heavy traffic I can do a quick check of the side camera, and then use turn signal which goes full view. Now if I can just figure out how to get my gps to show in the unused front camera section.....
Old 11-03-2017, 03:20 AM   #17

THOR #9081
The newer radios (AVM70LH) have VIN, LIN and RIN(Video, Left, Right IN), as well as CAM IN. The Camera Audio Input is on a separate harness and connector to the side of the unit with the Bluetooth Antenna. The camera video output from the video switcher is connected into the CAM IN. There is no input to the Camera Audio Input or the Audio-Video inputs.
If you hooked the output of the video switcher into the Audio-Video inputs you would then not be able to listen to the radio while monitoring the rear-camera through the Audio Video function instead of the Rear Camera function.
More than not having any audio, during a turn, the bigger problem I believe, is with the Firmware of the unit. The unit does not go back to the last function it was at(Rear Camera) after it has been triggered by the camera switcher(trigger on the Orange(Reverse (+) wire), instead, it goes to the Radio Function. The Axerra site had no firmware upgrades for the radio and I never bothered to contact them, determined it would be just easier to disconnect the trigger.
Thought about going to a separate monitor/video over a rear view mirror, but I was happy with the rear view camera picture quality on the radio, and have one less monitor. (I run "Torque" on an old tablet, as well as have a separate GPS). The Bluetooth for hands free works fine, so another plus.
Hope Big Brother doesn't find out I made the change!
Old 11-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #18

Model: 2014 Four Winds 22e
State: Illinois
THOR #1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I had a 2017 Chateau, and it muted the stereo when I used the turn signals unless I selected the rear view camera mode, so I normally drove with the rear camera display on.

I have a new 2018 Chateau with a different model Axxera, and even after selecting the rear camera mode it mutes when I use a turn signal, and then it switches out of the rear view camera mode. So they took an annoying feature and managed to make it even more annoying.

I head that there is an orange wire, which is the camera input signal. If you cut this wire it will no longer mute your stereo and switch modes when you use a turn signal, but it also won't automatically display the rear camera when you go into reverse. I may cut this wire since it's not a big deal to select the rear camera display when you need it.
You could wire in a toggle\accessory switch on the orange wire. That way when switch is off the turn signal doesn't cut out music, but with the flip of a switch you'll have backup camera when in reverse.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #19

THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRacing24 View Post
You could wire in a toggle\accessory switch on the orange wire. That way when switch is off the turn signal doesn't cut out music, but with the flip of a switch you'll have backup camera when in reverse.
I had given it that same thought about putting in a SPST switch, but then figured it would be kind of redundant. You can still put the camera on manually by selecting the rear camera through the radio interface. Therefore flick the switch or select manual. Probably easier to flick the switch, would even power the radio up at those times when you don't have it on, but normally you would only be going into reverse after driving somewhere and the rear camera view would already be present.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:59 AM   #20

Model: OUTLAW 37RB
State: Texas
THOR #9685
SuperD, Would you send me instructions on how to do this please? I don't like how the radio cuts out either and I would like to have my passenger monitor the sides of the MH.

Thanks,
Jay