Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum
State: South Carolina
THOR #3879
Radio works, camera doesn't

I have the Axxera AV614BH in a 2016 Quantum Class C.
When I left the dealership the backup and side cameras were working.
One month later, went to take it out for the first trip and no cameras.
The radio works fine, haven't used anything else and I get the dreaded BLUE screen of death, claiming "no signal" (for the camera)
Has anyone else had this issue and if so, is it a replacement item?
So disappointed with this rv. Every time I start it up and move it, I find an issue.
Removed the dog house and what a jumbled bunch of wires up there! Can't tell what any thing goes to or comes from!
Took it to the dealer today, claim they may have to order a new radio unit, said they've replaced a lot of them. I'm scheduled for a trip in a week and a half, not sure I want to take this thing with out the cameras, its 31 ft long. And the gas filler tube is on the passenger side. Don't want to take out a gas pump.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

THOR #3879
Radio/camera is being replaced

Per CW tech, camera wires in back were "sparking" so we need a new one.
Now the rv sits at the dealer yet again while we wait.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You shouldn't ever have to leave the RV at the dealer waiting for stuff to be ordered. Tell them to call you when it comes in and you'll bring it in for the repair. Should never leave it there more than a day or so for the repairs.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #4

THOR #3879
Really not much of a choice when other work is being done to it.
We had a big list of things wrong and not working.
At this point, I really don't care much about it. I've lost interest and confidence that it will ever be usable. Going on 5 months...
And will be getting rid of it as soon as possible. Its empty, never put anything into it. Never got a chance, one problem after another.
Throwing in the towel.....
Old 09-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: New Hampshire
THOR #2612
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherden View Post
At this point, I really don't care much about it. I've lost interest and confidence that it will ever be usable. Going on 5 months...
And will be getting rid of it as soon as possible. Its empty, never put anything into it. Never got a chance, one problem after another.

Does anyone in Thor management read anything on these forums? If you do you should feel real bad when you cash your pay check because your company is making a very bad product. Does not madder which model all have the same troubles. Just spend 30 minutes reading different post and you will see what I am talking about. Get in touch with me and let me tell you about the 60 plus items that were bad on my NEW 2016 Fourwinds 31W straight from the factory. I ordered it with the options I wanted. Also what I have had to go through in the first 16 months of owner ship. It is at a point now that each time I use my MH I wonder what will go wrong this time. Anyone that read these post before buying good luck if you buy a Thor product ..http://www.thorforums.com/forums/ima.../sk/nonono.gif
Old 09-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #6

THOR #3879
Know exactly how you feel.. Some businesses just don't care. There is no such thing as pride in workmanship any longer. Thor is one of them. Can't believe there is no one who does "quality control checking". If there were I'm sure most of this stuff would have been caught. Just build it as fast as you can, get it off the line.
As to the other part, bet no one who builds the rv's even own an rv. Like my salesman, finance mgr. even the people that work in service and parts desk don't own an rv here.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
My 2016 Chateau 31W did the same thing. I found a pinched rear camera wire and it was shorting out all of the cameras. As the dealer told me they could not get to it for several weeks I ordered a 50' cable and ran it myself. Funny thing was, when I was running the cable I found another long piece of cut off cable under the coach pinched in a frame member, so it was already fixed once at the factory or dealer before I even got it. When they fixed it, it got pinched under the dash. I think I did a better job fixing it myself.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
If I were you, I would contact Thor until I get someone in a senior position that
I can vent to and get that person to commit to resolving all my issues until I am completely satisfied. Even if you have to make some legality threats, I wouldn't throw in the towel. I have had a long list of issues with my unit that did get resolved but only through persistence. I also have a contact person at Thor in their customer service department that I can reach out to anytime for assistance. As the old saying goes "the wheel that squeaks the loudest gets the grease".
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:38 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherden View Post
In your warranty there should be a 20 day clause. Read it and write the letter. Thor tells you in the warrant what your rights are and unless you exercise them you could sit and wait until the cows come home.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #10

THOR #3879
Thanks for the info. I am making today "read the warranty thoroughly day".
Ready to make calls tomorrow (Saturday) or Monday at the latest.
This is plain ridiculous ! Haven't even been out it in !
And I was only worried about the residential frig before.
That turned out to be the easiest item.
I'll post when I get something in the wind. Thanks again !
Old 10-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #11

THOR #3879
New camera installed

Finally picked up our rv yesterday, went in 09/14/16. Rv tech noticed when he drove it around to the back lot, that there was a crackling sound. It was the motherboard for the furnace, it had gotten wet behind the door and shorted out.
Didn't even know about that as we haven't even taken a maiden voyage yet.
My list of warranty things were fixed, this time.
Old camera was sparking. I'm just not that lucky.... anyway, new backup camera works fine, however side cameras are really blurry driving at 55 mph, can't see whats in the next lane. Funny thing, sitting still, turn cameras work great. Just not driving. So kind of useless for changing lanes. Anyone have an idea if they can be moved, position changed, new lenses put on, something that would clear them up?
Checked the manual & website for Axxera and there is no mention of the brand name of the camera or lens that are used.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #4919
The crap camera connection on the back of the receiver seems to be just another THOR chronic condition. I installed a different head unit. Before doing that, I had pulled the trim from around the head unit to check on the model # of the cheap Pioneer unit that was in place. All of a sudden, I had no backup camera. I you ever have the chance to do this, don't be surprised. The workmanship there is just as bad as on most other things.

So not only are cabinets a major downfall with Thor, so are electrical connections.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #13

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
I purchased the cable for mine from www.rearviewsafety.com , there really wasn't a name on anything on that site either but they seem to have all the parts. I'm sure they are all just generic import cameras and cables. They actually have a screen that you can mount over the rear view mirror and broadcast the images instead of on the radio. I have thought of changing so that it would free up the radio to put in a better one than the Axxera one.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:02 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
After I got my coach home from the dealer I noticed a big bundle of wires hanging down from the back, they must have been there from the factory because there was paint spray on the bundle. I got some sticky pads and zip ties and fastened the bundle up under the rear on the fiberglass. Our first trip was about 1,000 miles one way. After about 500 miles I noticed the camera would cut out momentarily when we hit a big bump, I saw the wires were hanging down again, the sticky pads didn't hold. When we got to our destination I bought some plastic plumbers strap and stainless screws with fender washers and locknuts. I drilled a small hole in the rear and secured the wire bundle more permanently. A thousand miles back and two five hundred mile trips with no more camera problems. Hard to believe no one at Thor thought about the big wire bundle hanging down, especially since they painted it!!!

I would like to unhook the turn signal trigger since I use my mirrors and from the angle have a hard time seeing the monitor anyway. Has anyone unhooked their turn signal cameras? Help would be very appreciated!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:45 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
If you pull the top of the dash off there should be a camera switch. You can disconnect the camera leads and turn signal trigger from that switch.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-25-2016, 12:23 AM   #16

THOR #5196
Ok, next question, are you referring to the panel over the dash with the two screws? Then what am I looking for? Thanks you in advance for your help!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 01:50 AM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
On the Windsport (aka Hurricane) - the panel on top of the dash is a long reach from the stereo... worth a try - but don't think you will be able to reach it. (not close enough to my Hurricane to look).
Not sure which radio you have - but if the Jensen JRV212T - easiest way is to pop the radio out. You should have gotten two U shaped wires in the RV packet of goodies that let you release the radio from front... Slide it out and the camera connections are readily available. Should be obvious at that point.

If a different unit - may have a separate switch reachable through the dash access... The RV212T has the switch in the radio.

(If you didn't get the wires - I found them at a local auto parts store for a few dollars.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #18

State: Louisiana
THOR #5075
We have a four winds with a axxera Av614BH backup camera

Camera been working great we went picked up RV today from the shop and backup camera isn't working. Just a fuzzy screen. Any suggestions?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:57 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Ok, next question, are you referring to the panel over the dash with the two screws? Then what am I looking for? Thanks you in advance for your help!!!
Looked at a Hurricane photo and your dash is different than the Challenger. The top of my dash is about 5 feet long and is held on with 4 screws. When removed I have access to the back of the instrument cluster and behind the radio. The camera controller is at the 11 o-clock position of the bottom photo. If you enlarge the photo you can just make out the white label on the controller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash 1.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	3282

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash 2.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	3281
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-28-2016, 11:30 PM   #20

THOR #5196
Thanks for the pictures, will pull the cover off tomorrow and see what I can find and if I can get to it. May have to pull radio to get to everything.

Working on replacing the two inside tv's, another PIA of course!