Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
THOR #1236
Rain water entering Citation Sprinter

During heavy rains I find that water leaks into coach and soaks the bed just in front of the rear window on the passenger side of my NEW Citation. This has happened a number of times. A dealer re calked a section of the rear cap roof seal that did have some gaps in it and thought that would solve the problem. Well, it did not. I cannot find any roof gaps and the window seals all look sound. Has anyone else had this issue on a Citation Sprinter?

I continue to wonder why I purchased a new Thor?

Old 03-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger View Post
....I continue to wonder why I purchased a new Thor?
My Winnebago needed a new rear cap, it leaked very badly from the roof. So , it's not just a Thor thing,

As a new motorhome owner, it's your job to get every problem identified and repaired under warranty, (that's actually what you paid for).

When you sell it, ONLY you have the satisfaction of telling the next owner, (or dealer.... if traded in), that everything works fine!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
that is so true but soooooo SAD!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #4

Model: freedom elite 23H
State: North Carolina
THOR #266
Quote:
During heavy rains I find that water leaks into coach and soaks the bed just in front of the rear window on the passenger side of my NEW Citation. This has happened a number of times. A dealer re calked a section of the rear cap roof seal that did have some gaps in it and thought that would solve the problem. Well, it did not. I cannot find any roof gaps and the window seals all look sound. Has anyone else had this issue on a Citation Sprinter?

I continue to wonder why I purchased a new Thor?
I also have the citation sprinter and had leaks around the skylight. been to the dealer twice and the factory once. finally fixed it myself. found out that no chaulking was used to seal the unit to the fiberglass top. my point is, have the dealer check the air conditioner mounting for gasket leaks. it is not that far from the rear windows and this may be a leak that travels. best of luck finding the source.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #2478
2016 Citation Sprinter leaks

I have a 2016 Citation Sprinter SR and have leak appearing in bathroom. Met an owner of an identical unit in SoCal this weekend. Same issue. He's been back to LaMesa RV for repair but is still having problems. Likely to be either the a/c unit gasket mentioned here, or the skylight in the bathroom.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you use enough caulk you can seal anything! Lol Water leaks are hard to track since it travels so easily. You could try using a garden hose outside with a spotter inside to find the source. Use a hard spray directed at one point at a time, hopefully you will find the entry point and can go from there. Best of luck, and please follow Beacher's advice in reporting this as a warranty issue.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
, and please follow Beacher's advice in reporting this as a warranty issue.
I concur.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Washington
THOR #6218
On our 2015*the dealer had to swap out all the seals between the slide and the cab*in the rear, re-seal/caulk the roof and*fix the cable rail under the passenger side of the*rear slide to get the leaking somewhat under control it still happens though not that hard anymore.

Mike
Old 01-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #9

THOR #1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryn View Post
I also have the citation sprinter and had leaks around the skylight. been to the dealer twice and the factory once. finally fixed it myself. found out that no chaulking was used to seal the unit to the fiberglass top. my point is, have the dealer check the air conditioner mounting for gasket leaks. it is not that far from the rear windows and this may be a leak that travels. best of luck finding the source.
Henryn, well it has been a while since my post on this and your response. A belated thanks. My skylight has now started to leak and I am still vexed by my original leak despite numerous dealer and personal attempts to fix it. You said that you were able to fix your skylight. Mine appears to be well caulked around the edges where the skylight frame meets the fiberglass. Is this the area that was the problem with yours?
Old 02-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #10

Model: 24SS
State: Colorado
THOR #6217
Free Ranger, did you get your skylight leak fixed? I have the same problem. tom
Old 02-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #11

THOR #1236
Tom, I'll make this brief since my last three attempts to respond were kicked back?? I think it is fixed. Here is what the RV tech and I found: little or no sealant tape on the underside of the exterior piece of the skylight where it flashes up against the exterior fiberglass. The skimpy amount of tape Thor used had ten large gaps in it and since the underside of the skylight edge is concave rather than flat, their attempt at sealant was far from adequate. We also found that the hole in the fiberglass food and the interior framing was so out of square that only a couple of the braces which actually hold the unit to the coach were even still attached. None had been screwed in place. The mechanic suggests that they had to keep the whole frame loose in order to force the skylight into the off square hole. We reframed the hole, uses good sealant tape on the inside edge of the unit and then resealed the exterior edge with lap sealant. So far, so good. The tech has over 20 years in the business no says he has never seen such shoddy workmanship. Even putting in my time with the tech, this ran me over $1800. Another credit to TMC.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #12

Model: freedom elite 23H
State: North Carolina
THOR #266
Quote:
Tom, I'll make this brief since my last three attempts to respond were kicked back?? I think it is fixed. Here is what the RV tech and I found: little or no sealant tape on the underside of the exterior piece of the skylight where it flashes up against the exterior fiberglass. The skimpy amount of tape Thor used had ten large gaps in it and since the underside of the skylight edge is concave rather than flat, their attempt at sealant was far from adequate. We also found that the hole in the fiberglass food and the interior framing was so out of square that only a couple of the braces which actually hold the unit to the coach were even still attached. None had been screwed in place. The mechanic suggests that they had to keep the whole frame loose in order to force the skylight into the off square hole. We reframed the hole, uses good sealant tape on the inside edge of the unit and then resealed the exterior edge with lap sealant. So far, so good. The tech has over 20 years in the business no says he has never seen such shoddy workmanship. Even putting in my time with the tech, this ran me over $1800. Another credit to TMC.
Glad to hear you have had this leak fixed. Your tech was right about the workmanship. Safe travels and stay dry.