Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2022, 11:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New Jersey
THOR #1205
Gelcoat

I am the first owner of a 2019 Hurricane 35M that was a leftover that I purchased in May, 2019. Has anyone had issues with the gelcoat getting dull on the driver's side of the rig? It is stored outdoors in New Jersey. The right side is okay. I just noticed it the other day while waxing it.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:52 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
It is a VERY common problem (nearly universal) for coaches stored outside. Seems to show up at about 3 or 4 years. Do a site search for relevant threads. There are a few things you can do to help.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:02 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by njwandrr View Post
I am the first owner of a 2019 Hurricane 35M that was a leftover that I purchased in May, 2019. Has anyone had issues with the gelcoat getting dull on the driver's side of the rig? It is stored outdoors in New Jersey. The right side is okay. I just noticed it the other day while waxing it.
There is a lot not said here. Was this the 1st time waxing it? How often has it been waxed? Is it always stored in the same direction?

Based on your answers; what you describe may be normal.

I have 2019, keep outside in Texas Sun & Heat 24/7 and I will take all bets that my RV's finished looks better than some brand new units sitting on Dealers lots. Of course full body paint models that are stored inside notwithstanding.

I wax my RV twice every year, I treat my decals every other month. From what you describe you may need to buff your RV to get the Gel coat back vibrant and then wax. Wax it at least once a year and you should be fine. Wax over the dull area right now is better than nothing but I would buff it with a oxidizer remover, polish and wax in your case. It will look new and you will be so happy.

Some people not willing to spend 8 - 10 hrs every year waxing their RV, but every time I read a post like yours, I get motivated again There are a lot of threads on how to buff and wax the RV.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:41 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
You, my friend have discovered exactly what I discovered last summer. I have a 2020 class C. I was "waxing" with ceramic coating, and noticed how dull certain spots looked... even after the coating.

I created an entire thread on my experience with the process of removing the oxidation. The results were the RV gelcoat gloss was restored to like-new condition.

I listed the products used and how I went about it. Fair warning... be prepared for a LOT of old-fashioned elbow grease! There are NO SHORTCUTS. But the results will knock your socks off!
Old 04-29-2022, 03:51 PM   #5

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Depending on how dull you will need to polish or compound, polish then wax. We had boat for decades prior to RV. If exposed to sun waxing at least twice a year will help protect from dulling. Check out Sherhold.com They have a lot of videos for restoring and protecting gel coat. They are a marine company But translates well for our RVs
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:28 PM   #6

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Yes, you will understand what a shoulder ache is this summer like the rest of us. I wax 3X a yr and it works fine. Tackle the roof water drips as soon as you see them. I use the ceramic wax system also. I noticed the exhaust fumes will stick to the rear of the RV, so that gets constant attention.

This is a photo of mine from yesterday. I can still get original shine out of gelcoat, with a little polish and wax.... this is probably 2 yrs old from production date. I also buy out the micro fiber cloths at Walmart and the quick wax spray.

Summer travel planned and spring cleaning started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-04-29_18-10-28.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	37220  
Old 04-30-2022, 03:28 PM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
You, my friend have discovered exactly what I discovered last summer. I have a 2020 class C. I was "waxing" with ceramic coating, and noticed how dull certain spots looked... even after the coating.

I created an entire thread on my experience with the process of removing the oxidation. The results were the RV gelcoat gloss was restored to like-new condition.

I listed the products used and how I went about it. Fair warning... be prepared for a LOT of old-fashioned elbow grease! There are NO SHORTCUTS. But the results will knock your socks off!
Cleaning the roof and waxing the rv iszzz the SHORTCUT

I started this morning on my first wax of the year. Today it was just the front and rear end caps.

Look at the 1st picture of the BEFORE; which to most is damn good, and 2nd picture is the DURING (left side of picture waxed / right side is not) just to show contrast and then picture #3 the FINAL. 3 years old, no indoor storage, no cover, in Texas heat & sun and parked under a Cedar Elm tree that sheds leaves twice a year that the birds love. It just washes off an in most cases with a good rain storm.

All done by hand even though I have a buffer. Total time 1 hr, never broke a sweat

When we gonna start thread on cleaning roofs Membrane & Fiberglass. Waxing of my roof is coming up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220430_093017.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	37221   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220430_093009.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	37222  

Name:	20220430_093022.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	37223  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-30-2022, 06:11 PM   #8

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Cleaning the roof and waxing the rv iszzz the SHORTCUT

I started this morning on my first wax of the year. Today it was just the front and rear end caps.

Look at the 1st picture of the BEFORE; which to most is damn good, and 2nd picture is the DURING (left side of picture waxed / right side is not) just to show contrast and then picture #3 the FINAL. 3 years old, no indoor storage, no cover, in Texas heat & sun and parked under a Cedar Elm tree that sheds leaves twice a year that the birds love. It just washes off an in most cases with a good rain storm.

All done by hand even though I have a buffer. Total time 1 hr, never broke a sweat

When we gonna start thread on cleaning roofs Membrane & Fiberglass. Waxing of my roof is coming up.
Got a foam cannon, a gallon of RV wash/wax - just waiting on Ryobi pressure washer delivery from Home Depot... was scheduled for delivery yesterday...
Old 05-01-2022, 05:26 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Got a foam cannon, a gallon of RV wash/wax - just waiting on Ryobi pressure washer delivery from Home Depot... was scheduled for delivery yesterday...
I got restless yesterday so I decided to use the RV Gel wash/wax on the wife's car. This is what the pressurized foaming looks like. I can adjust to make more or less suds. It is very easy to brush the softened dirt, grime & bugs. For the car, I can use my green tip nozzle to rinse but the RV

I worry about getting to close to the decals, picking up and edge on sealants, and because of the size the high amount of overspray with the slightest of wind. I have regular hose with jet nozzle to jet spray rinse and I can do it from a safe distance as to not get wet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220430_180350.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	37238  
Old 05-02-2022, 01:08 AM   #10

THOR #16721
The little 1600 psi Ryobi was delivered late yesterday evening. I got the Amazon Tool Daily foam cannon and an additional 1.1mm smaller orifice... which is supposed to greatly help with preventing watery foam. We'll see...

How much wash concentrate did you use in the foamer?
Old 05-02-2022, 01:26 AM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
The little 1600 psi Ryobi was delivered late yesterday evening. I got the Amazon Tool Daily foam cannon and an additional 1.1mm smaller orifice... which is supposed to greatly help with preventing watery foam. We'll see...

How much wash concentrate did you use in the foamer?
I never really know how much... I just fill my foamer cup and use it until it goes empty, it takes a long time and I wash RV, 4 cars, 2 motorcycles and a Boat. I vary the suds by dial.

When I use my portable water hose foamer, it holds 3 1/2 oz maximum. The nature of how it works it foams and dilutes at the same time, so I may only put 1 1/2 oz in at time unless I need more.

Of course I never see see water foam with Stanley foamer / pressure washer but when the hand / hose foamer gets low it gets watery. Both have adjustments though.

Because there is wax in it, you need to be in shade or cool area to brush it down and rinse.

I thought that pressure washer was 1800 psi? 1600 may be good as to not damage anything. My Stanley is 2150 but I doubt it? I used the Gel Wash & Wash and pressure washer on my engine today in Navigator, looks nice.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:38 AM   #12

THOR #16721
Ryobi has an 1800, but at $99 the 1600 appealed to my cheap side. The other major task outside of vehicle/RV washing is deck cleaning (rinsing) and a cedar (soft) fence.

Around 1100 -1200 psi is recommended for foaming, so I figured the additional expense was a waste. I might invest the savings in a smaller air compressor...
Old 05-02-2022, 02:15 AM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Ryobi has an 1800, but at $99 the 1600 appealed to my cheap side. The other major task outside of vehicle/RV washing is deck cleaning (rinsing) and a cedar (soft) fence.

Around 1100 -1200 psi is recommended for foaming, so I figured the additional expense was a waste. I might invest the savings in a smaller air compressor...
This is what I thought you bought
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...2VNM/317623149

May have been more of me being me and me wanting more. I have this the 1800 in my cart, because I like how small it is. Should my Stanley die, I may try it. But what I really want is economical 40v Ryobi Pressure washer that works with my existing standard nozzles. I don't want gas, and I could get rid of electrical cord.
Old 05-02-2022, 03:00 AM   #14

THOR #16721
You're right! The 1800 is the same price as the 1600. Looks like a trip to the store is needed...
Old 05-05-2022, 12:25 AM   #15

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
I'm dealing with the same on the fiberglass front cap of my C where the upper surfaces from the roof down about a quarter of the way have lost their shine and look chalky.
Probably from the same threads referenced above I ordered Meguiars Marine/RV Oxidation Remover and one of those polishing pad kits for my cordless drill. It's a real pita to apply even with the drill, I can't reach far down the front of the cap while laying on the roof and a ladder in front of the coach doesn't get close enough to reach high enough up the cap. The side walls are probably easier but expect a real forearm workout even using a drill or buffer.
I can already see improvement from the strip right near the roof seam that I did, the chalkiness is mostly gone and it's back to a semi gloss. I'm going to try again with my M18 drill instead of the M12 since it was bogging and spend more time to try and bring back the shine but I think this will work. Then I'll take waxing more seriously going forward to maintain it.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:16 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastrd View Post
I can't reach far down the front of the cap while laying on the roof and a ladder in front of the coach doesn't get close enough to reach high enough up the cap.
I feel your pain.
I ended up standing on the roof of our Vegas, hanging onto the power cord of my buffer like a leash and let the buffer travel back and forth like a very hyper little dog.
Results: a very leisurely, stress-free and thorough buff and wax job with absolutely no achy shoulders.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:09 AM   #17

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I feel your pain.
I ended up standing on the roof of our Vegas, hanging onto the power cord of my buffer like a leash and let the buffer travel back and forth like a very hyper little dog.
Results: a very leisurely, stress-free and thorough buff and wax job with absolutely no achy shoulders.
I'll have to try that... 'cause I can't reach mine either!

P.S. dk- I drove up to Home Depot and swapped the 1600 for the 1800. Leaving Saturday, so with rain won't get to try it out until we return in a week.
Old 05-05-2022, 08:22 AM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
I'll have to try that... 'cause I can't reach mine either!

P.S. dk- I drove up to Home Depot and swapped the 1600 for the 1800. Leaving Saturday, so with rain won't get to try it out until we return in a week.
Yes make sense, don't want to let that pressure washer get wet. I am watching closely because I like that unit small foot print. I want to know how loud it is? I am surprised my Stanley is still going. My plan is to replace it with Ryobi 40v unit but right they are not that strong. If the 1800 electric Ryobi will work with all my existing tools, I may get any way. I could carry in RV next to compressor
Old 05-06-2022, 05:03 PM   #19

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
We have a stepladder at the RV park that slides up to front of RV and i can reach that spot your talking about. I got motivated today and got the black paint pretty much to production. i always worry this will oxidize and fade
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-05-06_13-01-18.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	37326   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-05-06_13-01-28.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	37327  

Old 05-06-2022, 05:45 PM   #20

THOR #16721
Now if I could reach the front of my class C that easy...