Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Arrow 'Back Flow' valve for water inlet

...I've used this 'back flow' connector since I bought the coach in 2014, but now can't find the right description or common term for how to search for it for a replacement, since this one is now leaking... maybe someone here might know the 'name' or where to find one...

Brass 3/4" garden hose to 1/2" coach pex inlet line, with built-in back flow valve and swivel fitting...

thanks a bunch! : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backflow valve - Edited.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	24417  

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:30 PM   #2

THOR #4735
on our Palazzo, if you don't have this back flow connection, when you use the water pump it will pump water out where the garden hose would normally connect, which is why they provide it. The swivel part allows you to connect your garden hose more easily since 'something' on one end or the other must 'swivel/turn' when connecting the two : )

This connector has worked fine for almost 6 years, but the other week I got some unfortunate debris in my lines - it clogged up this 'back flow' internal ball valve, meaning, like not having one at all, the water pump was pushing fresh water from the tank 'back' thru this 1/2" water line and into the wet bay! When I finally figured out what the 'sound of falling water' was on the other side of the coach, I immediately cut off the water pump to stop the flow, then realized that this 'back flow' ball valve was not sealing back properly due to the aforementioned debris.
Why this connector now leaks, or can't seal properly to the garden hose, is because I 'beat' it on the ground to relieve the debris from the valve - gracious!! I did work, but now I realize that the 'beating' that took place not only solved the 'back flow' problem, but created a new one...a now slightly out-of-round 3/4" garden hose end which now will not seal properly with the garden hose. My bad, of course. : /

I've not seen another while looking at all of the pre-requisite online vendors and amazon and other sites, but they may be because I just don't have the real correct 'term' for this product. Whether a 'Brass back flow garden hose connector', or a 'back flow preventer', etc... Nothing seems to bring up something 'like' this...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:47 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
You mean the city water inlet?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:57 AM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
garden hose vacuum breaker
Old 06-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #5

THOR #4735
yes, the 'City Water' inlet hose that I attach my external 'garden hose' to for incoming pressurized water... and while the 'vacuum breaker' is similar, this connector has a 'swivel' fitting feature, because without it, and since the connector is mounted permanently on the coach-side 1/2" inlet hose, the 'garden hose' would have to turn itself over and over in order to get it screwed on - the swivel is part of the ability to connect and unconnect your campground 3/4" garden hose.

I did a search with the 'garden hose vacuum breaker' term, but it only results in more standard vacuum breakers/back flow devices that are part of a spigot connection. In those situations you would not need a swivel since you are dealing with the 'female' end of the hose, but on the rv connection, you are dealing with the static MALE end of the hose, which has no 'built-in' swivel application.

Though this does bring to mind an idea - a 'Male to Male' adapter(actually, it's called a Double Female adapter), which should swivel on it's own, and add the 'vacuum breaker' along with it. hmmmmmmmmm...
Old 06-25-2020, 07:18 PM   #6

THOR #4735
I stopped by HD today and tried to 'put together' a similar swivel back flow 1/2" to 3/4" adapter, but the shear number of 'parts' to actually made it happen were just too much to take...not including the cost for all of them.

The DO have a 3/4" vacuum breaker/back flow preventer

They don't, though, have a way to add a 'swivel' to that, unfortunately, which makes the connection of the water hose to this device impossible when it's already attached to the RV's water inlet hose.