Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Rear tire pressure

I'm certain this has been asked a million times ,but I've searched and can't find the answer.
What should the tire pressure be for the rear tires on a 2017 Thor Axis 25.2?
Mine are reading 54 psi. I asked the dealer and they told me this was the correct pressure but as usual I have little to no confidence in what they say!
Is 54 psi the correct pressure? It seems low considering the front tire psi is 80.
Thanks
PS Also I can't reach one of the inner tire valve stems to check its pressure! It's jammed against the rim of the outer tire! This is one of the many things the dealer said they fixed but obviously did not!

Old 05-20-2017, 06:53 PM   #2

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
I'm certain this has been asked a million times ,but I've searched and can't find the answer.
Mine are reading 54 psi. I asked the dealer and they told me this was the correct pressure but as usual I have little to no confidence in what they say!
Is 54 psi the correct pressure? It seems low considering the front tire psi is 80.
Thanks
PS Also I can't reach one of the inner tire valve stems to check its pressure! It's jammed against the rim of the outer tire! This is one of the many things the dealer said they fixed but obviously did not!
All tires are not the same so I have always looked at the tire sidewall to get the correct pressures. Think about investing in a tire stem extension for the rears.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
your tire sidewall reading is for MAXIMUM psi only, NOT for you and your RV...
your Michelin or Goodyear brochure/manual will show you what the Weight vs PSI for each axle should be - IF you have weighed your vehicle. If you haven't, then it's best to use the axle max load rating, then back it off 10% as a guesstimate until you can get it weighed. Most any 'branded' truck stop will have a CAT scale or similar, usually $8 to $12 dollars and it's very easy.

the higher the psi on your tires, the rougher the ride... but if too low, then you suffer on MPGs...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The recommended tire pressure for Thor coaches is located ether on the entry door sill (for class B and C) or just above the drivers arm rest on the Class A. For my 18,000 lb coach, the recommended tire pressure is 82 psi even though the tires max inflation pressure (cold) is 95 psi (245/70-19.5). It is always best to have the coach weighed on all four corners when fully loaded for traveling. Using the Michelin tire inflation guide for the size tire that you have, you can determine the individual tire pressures. You should always use the same pressure on tires on the same axle - the largest of the two values. Most add 5 psi to the base values to allow for leakage and temperature changes. Only you can determine what tire pressure are best for your coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

State: Tennessee
THOR #3372
tire pressures

The correct tire pressures should be printed on the placard on the wall to the left of the drivers seat. I have an Axis 24.1 2016 model and it states 80 psi for the front ( that's max for the 16" Michelin tires ) and 75 psi for the rear tires. The max gross weight for this unit is listed at 14,500 pounds on the placard and the chassis is an E-450 Ford. I suspect that Ford put 55 psi in the tires when the stripped down basic chassis was delivered to Thor. They proceeded to add about 4500 pounds of stuff to complete the motorhome and nobody added more air to the tires. Just my opinion because mine had about 55 psi in the rear tires when I first got it. I had the unit weighed on our first long trip and it was 11,600 pounds. Plenty of extra weight carrying capacity. Good luck. Nick in TN
Old 05-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This question comes up frequently. The tire manufacturer's have a chart based on the coach weight (ours has the Michelin's and that chart is here (pdf)]. I'm pretty sure I came up with 75 front 65 rear, I'm currently running 75 front and 70 rear). Weigh your coach and use the chart--it will tell you the correct pressure for all 6 tires.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:42 AM   #7

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Thanks
I just went through this issue last week. One of the dual tires was delivered with 35 psi from the dealer. I went to the tire store I will be using and they found a loose valve extension and repaired it. They inflatted all tires according to the chart on the drivers door post and recommended that pressure. They also said any time I am in the area stop by for a free tire check and especially before trips.
They didn't charge anything for the service. Problem solved
Old 05-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #8

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I have always believed that one of the most important maintenance and safety issues on any RV was the tires.

As many have suggested, weighing your RV is the first step. If you can find a place to weigh each corner that would be perfect for tire inflation guides. But in reality most of us simply pay the $10 at a truck stop to run over their scales. The print out they will provide you will have front/drive axle weight, rear axle weight, and total weight. Make sure you are loaded for travel when going over scales. If you are pulling a toad or trailer then you can weigh once with it and once without it, all for the same $10 at most truck stops.

I try to set my psi when the outside temps are in the 70's and no sun is directly on my tires. If one side of your RV is in the sun and one side is in the shade, the sunny side tires can register 2 to 4 psi more.

I purchased a good TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) several years ago which came with 6 sensors. It has been on 3 RVs and served me well.

Anyone traveling in the summer, especially out west, will always observe RVs pulled over with blown tires. There are numerous reasons for these failures, but the main ones seem to be: (1) underrated OEM tires on new RV. The RV may have come with E rated tires, but after the new owners load 2,000 pounds of gear the RV now needs G rated tires. (2) running too fast in high temps cause tires to overheat. (3) old tires that still "look" good haven't been changed for over 5 or 6 years. They become dried out and can't handle the increase in psi and temperature that comes with pulling a load in high summer temps.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:40 PM   #9
OCB

State: Georgia
THOR #18826
Quote:
Thanks
Just looked it up. 75 front. 80 rear. For your well-being never go to a dealer for information or work to be done..
I will pick someone off the street first.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:42 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I don't scare easily.
I run 60 back 65 front.
Rides like a dream.
Some $5,000 suspension buyers only needed to lower the air pressure.

Recommendation is not edict.

If it doesn't wear strangely with either high or low pressure, you're good to go.

Wear tells truth. THIS is a hard to argue against, logic dictates, type truth.
Junior engineer sating junior attorney tells no truth. We all know this.

Some people want to be governed less but they want to be told exactly, right down to a single psi, what to do.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Come on duckface, quit using logic and making sense. You are making it hard for the safety sallies.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:34 AM   #12

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
This question comes up frequently. The tire manufacturer's have a chart based on the coach weight (ours has the Michelin's and that chart is here (pdf)]. I'm pretty sure I came up with 75 front 65 rear, I'm currently running 75 front and 70 rear). Weigh your coach and use the chart--it will tell you the correct pressure for all 6 tires.
I have always followed the tire manufacture charts in the RV or on our track cars. Can't go wrong using a scale and the chart.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote