Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2016, 10:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: North Carolina
THOR #4287
Recommendation for first timers

Hello Thor owners! The family and I are headed to pick up our 2016 Thor Challenger 37TB next weekend are SUPER excited! This is our first motor home and are looking for advice for first timers. We have our checklist of what to bring and for our route back to our home in North Carolina from Panama City Florida. Any tips for our walk through and test drive? We're buying from Camping World and so far the experience has been great. Anything we might be forgetting just based on inexperience? Thanks so much for any help from the veteran campers in this forum!

Old 05-21-2016, 11:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Arrive early for the walk thru. do not sign any papers until all things are corrected. Run every thing slides in and out at least 6 times Motorize bunk beds. Make them show you how to winterize it and Check out the TV's Generator if it has leveling system cycle it. Run the AC, sounds funny but run the furnace, lots of oil in it will get a lot of smoke in the unit till it burns off. The radio and it operation. An alignment by a truck shop. check the tire pressure your self. Take lots of notes and have a good time.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On the Challenger, make sure they show you where the second water heater by pass is and since it is not winter have them set it to normal use.

Make sure the water heater is full before using its electric mode.

Take a DVD to ensure the player works will all televisions and have them show you the functioning of the HDMI switch. As a note, the DVD player is not Blu Ray compatible.

Have them show you where the AGS (Auto Generator Start) module is and explain (if they know how) to adjust the various settings.

Have them show you where the ice maker shutoff valve is located and make sure it is open and ready for use.

If you are planning on camping on the way home and using the plumbing system have them sanitize the fresh water system before you get there. Sanitizing takes 4 hours to do correctly.

By your statement "test drive" I hope you test drove the unit before making the purchase offer and you meant shakedown cruise.

Also, when signing the paperwork pay attention to the warranty registration form. There is a section on that form for you to annotate anything that may be wrong with the unit at delivery.

Hopefully this helps. I'm sure you'll love the Challenger. We are counting the days (6) until ours hits the road for out next trip. In fact I am camping in the driveway tonight and starting to get everything loaded and checking all the systems for the trip.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:29 AM   #4

THOR #4287
Thanks fhenn and dstankov! All great tips! I'll definitely be adding to my list for the walkthrough. Yes, meant shakedown cruise. :-) Didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary during the first drive. Performed and felt like I expected and as described by others on the forum. Feel like we got a good price...about 33% off MSRP. Looking forward to getting on the road and vacationing/travelling in a whole new way! :-D
Old 05-22-2016, 12:40 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Sandman - congrats and welcome to the world of Challenger ownership. We've had our 37TB for a little over a year and little more than 18,000 miles. Lots of smiles with together and lots of smiles with grandkids.

Here is the hardest thing you'll have to do when you go to pick up your coach - take your time. You are gonna so anxious to get your hands on our coach, you will need to work to restrain yourself. The best leverage you are gonna have is called a check. A check that transfer ownership to you. Please use it to get things right in your coach.

You've gotten good advise above, please follow it while restraining yourself.

Hopefully you've gotten advise on some items you need - I'd have CW install them before you leave for home.

Enjoy - we sure do.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:17 AM   #6

THOR #4287
Bigben,
Perfect advice on being restrained during the walkthrough. It's definitely going to be difficult but I'm prepared to wait while they fix items instead of us taking ownership prematurely and driving home with "issues". I'm an active duty helicopter pilot in the USMC, so hopefully I can apply the patience necessary in flying the 40yr old, and often broken, CH53E to insisting upon a great delivery from CW. :-) Your prior posts about your good experiences in your 37TB actually had a big impact on me feeling confident with our purchase. :-) Looking forward to it!
Old 05-22-2016, 01:34 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Sandman,

Take pictures of things you question, things you want fixed, things they say they will fix or just things that look odd. It will help your memory and it makes sure all the things you questions get addressed and all that needs fixed gets written up to be fixed.

Welcome to the Forum and Happy Travels.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
I second DocMike's suggestion to take pictures of everything. That has helped us tremendously just to understand our new coach and helps put the manuals and technical drawings into perspective.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Sandman - super. I sent you a PM with some additional info on some things I'd include. But you sure do have experience with restraint after flying the CH53.

We stay often stay at Onslow Beach. And there have been a few times, you CH53 drivers have been so low on the beach, that we thought were gonna have to open the doors and windows to let you fly through. Too funny.

Anyway, read the PM and ENJOY your new coach. Also, from and old soldier - very proud of our fighting force. You young devil dogs do us old cavalrymen proud. Thank you for your service.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #10

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Guess I will add my 02 cents worth. Take a camera and note pad with you. Take pictures and lots of notes, especially anything that needs fixing. Get any promises in writing. Salesmen have short memories. All of the above advise is good. Follow it to the letter. If possible before you leave town. Go to a rv park and spend a few days in the unit before hitting the road. That way if there is a problem you are not out on the road with a problem that you have to take back to the dealer to fix. Get Emergency Road insurance before you start out. either Good Sam ERS or one of the others.
Mel