Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Axis 24.1 to Vegas 25.2

Hi all, hope all's well. We currently have a '14 Axis 24.1 and it's great fun, but the wife is not happy with the interior, too dark, and the bed arrangement is not working for her. I'm almost agreeing a deal on a '16 Vegas 25.2 with the rear slide out and the better bathroom. Am I right in saying it will be on the E450 chassis and will there be enough room at the front without the sofa slide? Anyone else have one? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you have the VIN of the new one you're about to purchase look it up in a Ford VIN decoder--that will tell you if its E350 or E450.
VIN decoder: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Hi all, hope all's well. We currently have a '14 Axis 24.1 and it's great fun, but the wife is not happy with the interior, too dark, and the bed arrangement is not working for her. I'm almost agreeing a deal on a '16 Vegas 25.2 with the rear slide out and the better bathroom. Am I right in saying it will be on the E450 chassis and will there be enough room at the front without the sofa slide? Anyone else have one? Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Thats the year and model # of the one I had and it was on a E450 frame.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:22 AM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We have a 2016 25.2 and it is on a E450 with six speed tranny.

We do not use the table in front of the couch and we have plenty of room with no slide. We love the fact we can park in narrow spots and not worry about the side slides.

With rotating the drivers and passenger seats backwards it really does give a good living space.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:24 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

We do not use the table in front of the couch and we have plenty of room with no slide. We love the fact we can park in narrow spots and not worry about the side slides.

With rotating the drivers and passenger seats backwards it really does give a good living space.
Good information.

Do you regularly take others with you? If so, how do they like seating sidewards while traveling? That concerns me more than the limited space.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #6

THOR #9936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Good information.

Do you regularly take others with you? If so, how do they like seating sidewards while traveling? That concerns me more than the limited space.
We always had teens with us in this and previous Rv's and never had a problem with them sitting sideways , my op. was that whether there's enough room without the sofa slide. The 16' has a brighter interior and the wife doesn't like the singles at the back on our 14' Axis.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Good information.

Our son always rides in the couch on our 24.1, sometimes the wife, sometimes guests. Haven't had an issue with anyone (not even the wife who is prone to motion/car sickness).
Old 05-24-2018, 01:49 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We have really enjoyed our 25.2, it fits us and the way we travel just right (Goldilocks). There are a lot of folks happy with the 24.1, too. Ours was built in April of 2015, is on the E-350 chassis and the taller windshield. Both those things were changed early in the 2016 model year.

We gained some living area by leaving the long table at home and replacing the oval top with a rectangular top. We leave it in the slot for the front of the long table. With the rectangle top, it is plenty big enough for meals for two.

Our previous coach was a 33' gasser with two slides. It was fine, but the Vegas has almost as much storage inside and out with the advantages of a smaller rig.

Your results may vary!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:33 AM   #9

THOR #9936
Thanks Mr Sunshine, where do the tables store in the 25.2 and does the rear bed fold when the slide is in? The vehicle is about 400 miles and a ferry away, we're in N Ireland, so I've only seen photos and video. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Thanks Paul and Jamie, I was asking about traveling while sitting sidewards because in our van, passengers have to sit that way. Occassionally I get negative feedback from those who only want to face forward. Car seats for young children is also an issue.

Anyway, one of the best features about the 24.1 that I like is the bedroom with Twin/King beds, and with all the overhead storage that comes over the beds. If you didn’t have that storage, where would you pack whatever it is you store there now?

As mentioned before in other threads, my ideal Axis would be a 25.2 with the 24.1 bedroom — we like larger bath and no slide in living area. However, it sounds like what you guys want is the opposite, or a 24.1 with the 25.2 rear slide. In case you’re considering other brands, Winnebago makes a Class C with essentially that floorplan (picture attached for your reference).

Also, Thor for 2019 has a new Sprinter floorplan, that while very different, also has a rear slide bed and front slide dinette plus a 2-person recliner couch. It’s the 24SK. It’s pricey, but may be a compact floorplan of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75CF9B2A-59B3-4FB0-8C62-E0152908F4E5.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	10415  
Old 05-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Here’s how the 24SK compares to a floorplan that is almost identical to 24.1, but in Class C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BE150E3-1F71-4901-8EFE-B62A825697F3.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	10416  
Old 05-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #12

State: England
THOR #11569
Quote:
snipped

Also, Thor for 2019 has a new Sprinter floorplan, that while very different, also has a rear slide bed and front slide dinette plus a 2-person recliner couch. It’s the 24SK. It’s pricey, but may be a compact floorplan of interest.
That's neat Chance!
Lol but it is a Mercedes! Eek:Horror
Old 05-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #13

THOR #9936
My ideal would be an Acis/Vegas with the 24.1 sofa slide and the 25.2 rear bed slide, weight would probably be the issue tho'.
I've admired the storage on the 24.1 we have now, compared to our previous 30ft and 36ft RV's, I'm going to have to get used to a little less storage in the 25.2, the only problem I see are the 4 outdoor chairs we take, they can go on the bed when we travel. Picking it up on the 7th June, hopefully. ����
Old 05-24-2018, 04:06 PM   #14

THOR #9936
I hear ya'Mr Sunshine. We had 2 previous large RV's , one with 2 slides and one with 3 slides. I must say, I've enjoyed the last 2 years with the compact 24.1 and it's ability to go places with less fuss and hassle. The roads in Ireland make owning a large RV hard work ����. So a 25.2 it is, deposit paid , ferry booked ��
Old 05-24-2018, 04:20 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
My ideal would be an Acis/Vegas with the 24.1 sofa slide and the 25.2 rear bed slide, weight would probably be the issue tho'.
I've admired the storage on the 24.1 we have now, compared to our previous 30ft and 36ft RV's, I'm going to have to get used to a little less storage in the 25.2, the only problem I see are the 4 outdoor chairs we take, they can go on the bed when we travel. Picking it up on the 7th June, hopefully. ����

Paul, I’m certain weight wouldn’t be a problem because the 25.2 was once built on E-350 chassis with 12,500-pound GVWR, and now they all come on E-450 with 14,500-pound rating. While small slides add considerable weight, it would not be 2,000 pounds in this case. Not even close. Also, Thor manufactures an Axis/Vegas with 2 slides, and it’s even larger.

Thor marketing must be primary decider on what gets built, otherwise they would have designed at least one floorplan without a slide. My guess is that they wouldn’t know how to price it, or promote it.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
That's neat Chance!
Lol but it is a Mercedes! Eek:Horror
Nothing I’d want.

It’s interesting though to think that if they took a 24.1 and replaced the Twin/King beds with a rear slide bed, they’d shorten the overall length to about 24 feet, or the same length as many Class Bs built on Mercedes Sprinter vans.

It’s not something I’d want, but I’d bet there are a lot of buyers who would want and even shorter Class A, particularly if they got a walk around queen bed. At 24-ft of length, a motorhome can often be parked in regular parking places by letting rear hang over the curve. My Class C was 24-ft long and I parked that way many times.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #17

State: California
THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

It is important to note that the driver's seat does NOT swing around totally and is difficult to even turn it 135° from the front position.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:37 AM   #18

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Thanks Mr Sunshine, where do the tables store in the 25.2 and does the rear bed fold when the slide is in? The vehicle is about 400 miles and a ferry away, we're in N Ireland, so I've only seen photos and video. Thanks.

We store the long table at home, and would store the rectangular table (replaced the oval top) when we have someone sleeping on the jack knife sofa. In that case, it goes under the dash in front of the driver's seat.
I was initially frustrated about the driver's seat not turning 180 degrees, but have found that sitting in it at 90 degree turn is acceptable. (Your results may vary.)
Old 05-25-2018, 06:23 AM   #19

THOR #9936
Thehobe 1, you can turn my drivers seat around, there was a thread on the forum that explained it, I tried it a couple times and it's no problem. I'm surprised, Mr Sunshine, that there's no dedicated storage for the tanks, there is on my 24.1.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
It is important to note that the driver's seat does NOT swing around totally and is difficult to even turn it 135° from the front position.
Yeah it does, read this thread:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...seat-1869.html