Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11826
Batteries both vehicle and coach losing charge

I recently purchased a 2018 Vegas. I am having trouble with all the batteries. When I park the coach I turn the switch to store and it no appliances or lights work as they shouldn't. When I come back in a week to check on coach all batteries are dead. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions? Thanks

Jim

Old 10-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Is it plugged in while in storage?

If no: There still is some parasitic draw on the batteries, even when in "Store". Your best bet is to install some battery disconnects and use them.

If yes: Leave in "Use"
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #3

THOR #11826
No its not plugged in. Thanks for the advice
Old 10-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I had problems when mine was new. Turned out the stock batteries were bad. Dealers often let them drain completely over and over again and that causes already questionable batteries to fail. Replaced them with Interstates three years ago and not had a problem. Have your batteries checked by any good auto or truck repair facility.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #5

THOR #10144
Had the same problem with stock batteries. Also had a parasitic draw from radio.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The charge on flooded lead acid batteries self-discharges at the rate of 20% per month. The dash radio, engine's computer and the propane leak detector draw some keep-alive current at all times. As stated, if the dealer did not keep the coach plugged-in and the batteries were allowed to discharge below 12.0 volts some damage to the batteries did occur. The lower the voltage the worst the damage. The best thing to do is to fully charge the batteries and then either load test the batteries or have someone like Autozone load test the batteries. That way you can tell if the batteries are really need replacing. AGM batteries do not at the same rate as flooded batteries. An AGM battery self-discharge the about the same amount in a month as a flooded battery does in a day.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:16 AM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #7640
I installed a switch for the chassis battery and haven't had a problem.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:04 PM   #8

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
Dixie RV had my unit for over 2 months to do warranty work...They let my batteries go completely dead and now I am going to have to buy new ones....You are right about dealers letting that happen. Dixie also used my generator and put 21 hours on it, but quickly denied any of this.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #9

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Not to change the subject, but JamieGeek, I'm going to be in your neck of the woods this weekend.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
Not to change the subject, but JamieGeek, I'm going to be in your neck of the woods this weekend.
Cool: Whereabouts?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsottile View Post
I recently purchased a 2018 Vegas. I am having trouble with all the batteries. When I park the coach I turn the switch to store and it no appliances or lights work as they shouldn't. When I come back in a week to check on coach all batteries are dead. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions? Thanks

Jim
jsottile, seems like you've received the answers to your question but I thought I'd ask if you aware the batteries do not charge when plugged in if it is in "store" mode.

I have heard of people running their batteries dead while plugged into shore power. Anyway, just a thought.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #12

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Miramar Owner is right. There needs to be a sign in every Thor RV that says in 6" letters, "Batteries only charge when plugged in to shore power or when the generator is running if the USE/STORE switch is in USE."

That switch operates a latching relay that electrically disconnects the house batteries when in STORE. Disconnected house batteries will not get any recharging current from the converter when in STORE.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #13

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
I'll be around Canton
Old 10-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
I'll be around Canton
Yup that is really close LOL.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #15

THOR #11826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
jsottile, seems like you've received the answers to your question but I thought I'd ask if you aware the batteries do not charge when plugged in if it is in "store" mode.

I have heard of people running their batteries dead while plugged into shore power. Anyway, just a thought.
No Batteries do not run dead when plugged in at campsite. I had a batter switch installed but mechanic said I have a major power draw in rear of coach. taking back to dealer. I also had batter posts installed in front for easier access.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #16

THOR #10044
Dead batteries fix

Yep, battery cut off switches worked for us. Same problem you had with both coach and chassis batteries going dead after storing the RV for only two weeks.

I installed a "knife" style cut off on the chassis battery and I trip the breaker on the house batteries. The breaker is located just to the left of the batteries.
Push the button and a "flag" pops out disconnecting the batteries. Easy.

Zero problems since cutting off the batteries during storage now.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #17

THOR #4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I had problems when mine was new. Turned out the stock batteries were bad. Dealers often let them drain completely over and over again and that causes already questionable batteries to fail. Replaced them with Interstates three years ago and not had a problem. Have your batteries checked by any good auto or truck repair facility.

I think Thor has a deal with battery manufacturer to buy all their bad batteries. Every Thor I've had has come with bad batteries. I bought my current Axis 24.1 in Feb. It had just come off the assembly line three weeks before. Batteries not hold charge. They would drop to 10.5 volts within hours of full charge. No load. Camping world said the batteries weren't covered under the warranty. Come on give me a break. I called Thor. They are cover if you want to call it that. They gave me a number to call. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops and in the end you dont get new batteries they give you $65. I ask how am I suppose to by a $125 stock battery for $65. It wasn't worth the hassle. I went to the local golf cart supplier and bought two 12v and run them parallel.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:06 AM   #18

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Georgia
THOR #13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsottile View Post

Jim
Just went through the exact same thing on my 2018 Vegas this past summer. They thought it was the solenoids, changed those, not it. After many weeks and lots of head scratching, figured out the switch (that cuts off the house batteries to the coach) had gone bad and was NOT cutting anything off and draining all of the batteries. Fix: changed switch and ran new wiring underneath the coach to the solenoid location. (Could not get the wiring through the floor) Be careful, with the batteries sitting dead so long at the dealership we almost blew them up when we go the coach home. Plugged in to get the fridge cold the day we picked it up for a trip the next morning. Kept smelling rotten eggs. Apparently, the normal process to charge the batteries and then shut off at 95 to 100% doesn't stop (due to the dead cells). The constant charging makes everything overcharge and boil over causing the Sulphur smell. Dealership had to change the batteries the next morning, lucky for us we caught it in time.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:29 AM   #19

State: Washington
THOR #11928
"Just went through the exact same thing on my 2018 Vegas this past summer. They thought it was the solenoids, changed those, not it. After many weeks and lots of head scratching, figured out the switch (that cuts off the house batteries to the coach) had gone bad and was NOT cutting anything off and draining all of the batteries."

I'm also having problems with my "store" switch in my 2018 24.1 Axis. I have to cycle the switch TWICE for it to disconnect power. I hear the relay click on first actuation, but I have to cycle the switch back on and off a second time before power actually disconnects. Is this the same problem you were having?
Old 11-06-2018, 03:54 AM   #20

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Georgia
THOR #13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propwash View Post
"Just went through the exact same thing on my 2018 Vegas this past summer. They thought it was the solenoids, changed those, not it. After many weeks and lots of head scratching, figured out the switch (that cuts off the house batteries to the coach) had gone bad and was NOT cutting anything off and draining all of the batteries."

I'm also having problems with my "store" switch in my 2018 24.1 Axis. I have to cycle the switch TWICE for it to disconnect power. I hear the relay click on first actuation, but I have to cycle the switch back on and off a second time before power actually disconnects. Is this the same problem you were having?
It always clicked, and I would make sure that the lights were off (to make sure it was really off), but it wasn't. In three days all batteries would go dead and we had to jump with another vehicle. The dealer had issues identifying the problem, and could not figure out what Thor had done regarding the wiring schematics. Shore power wasn't a problem, so we used it for trips but no dry camping. While driving the service manager had us stick a piece of paper under the switch on the dash that connects all of the batteries to keep them connected, so the engine would charge while we were driving.