Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2018, 12:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
Removing Axerra radio

I know there have been a million posts on this but i need to know how to pull the Axerra out so i can check connections. Is there a special tool one needs to do this?

Old 07-20-2018, 12:38 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you bought this coach new you should have received a black bag with manuals, there should be a couple of thin metal tools that slide in to each side of the radio to release the locks. If you don’t have the tools you can usually get them at an auto parts or car stereo shop.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:55 AM   #3

THOR #7419
My illustrious dealer did not pass on such a bag. No surprise.

Do you have a picture of the "tool"? I've looked online, and there are many variants.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:20 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Sorry I don’t, my Rv is in storage and I don’t have access right now. Google axxera radio removal tool, you should be able to find one.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

THOR #7430
Call your dealer and get your big Thor bag. It has all kinds of info about your water heater your refrigerator your gas your furnace you need that bag also look inside the closet door they have a sheet listing all the serial numbers to these items. Good luck get that bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post

Do you have a picture of the "tool"? I've looked online, and there are many variants.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to release the clips holding the Axxera or Jensen radio in the mount. All DIN type radios have these types of clips and they are released the same way.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 23U
State: Missouri
THOR #8692
When we had our 23U's radio extricated from the dash, Scott at Total Eclipse had to remove the dash, 4 screws in a black plastic brace, that held the double din radio into the dash. He had to drop the steering column a bit to get the dash to come off easily.
The factory Pioneer radio was crap, as was the install. The new install has soldered and shrink wrapped connections and a much sturdier brace. Sony products have excellent build quality. Best of luck.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #8

State: Ohio
THOR #6148
Geno929 is correct - that’s exactly what I had to do in my Chateau 31W. Had to believe but the dash just pulls off so you can get to the 4 screws that hold the bracketed radio on to the dash. They did not use the nice slide in mount that is on the class A models. I had some difficulty with removing the dash in the steering wheel area and was able to get the radio out without removing dash all the way.
Scott
Old 07-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #9

State: California
THOR #5999
I used 4 butter knives to remove mine. Buttered my toast right after [emoji3]
Old 07-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #10

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #10823
Did you check in your front right upper storage for your black bag? That's where CW stashed the one for our Quantum.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #11

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12022
I bought a used 2016 Freedom Elite with the Axerra. It didn’t have a remote control but I think it must have had one originally. I’m not getting anywhere with CW or Axerra and I’d like to have a remote, any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:04 AM   #12

THOR #7419
Checked all compartments iver the last 15 mos. No black bag with anything. There was a generic Thor manual. I've chased down other manuals on the interner, printed copies and made my own book.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post

I just played with my radio yesterday, so I thought I would add these pics of the tool used to remove the radio.

It's an L-shaped piece of pliable metal, about 5 inches long (3/8" wide), with a barb on the end to help grab the radio to pull it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio Removal Tool.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	12413  
Old 08-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #14

THOR #7419
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
I just played with my radio yesterday, so I thought I would add these pics of the tool used to remove the radio.

It's an L-shaped piece of pliable metal, about 5 inches long (3/8" wide), with a barb on the end to help grab the radio to pull it out.
Thx. I'll see if i can find something similar on line.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #15

State: California
THOR #10354
Build your own

I cut two 3/4" x 4" pieces of sheet metal and use those to slide in each side of the radio after carefully pulling of the outside trim (plastic piece) of the radio. You may even be able to cut these from an aluminum can.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #16

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Geno929 is correct - that’s exactly what I had to do in my Chateau 31W. Had to believe but the dash just pulls off so you can get to the 4 screws that hold the bracketed radio on to the dash. They did not use the nice slide in mount that is on the class A models. I had some difficulty with removing the dash in the steering wheel area and was able to get the radio out without removing dash all the way.
Scott
As stated above the Class C’s w/Ford E450 chassis has the radio hard mounted with screws which require partial dash removal to get access.
Crutchfield has written (with pics) instructions available for the Ford E450. If you purchase the new radio from them, the instructions are free. If not, the instructions cost $10. It’s worth it if you want to do the radio swap as a diy project.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #17

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
Radio

Butter knifes should work fine. I use the L shaped tools but the L part is just a way to pull tool back out. Just insert butter knives on each side halfway top to bottom. (Stab them straight in.) Push in on each knife about 2.5 to three inches and the radio will be free. Just releases a detent on each side. Mine only has the detents on each side. Had mine out way too many times. Not radio issues but wiring problems.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for the instructions: my Thor bag had neither the tool, or any booklet on the radio...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:32 PM   #19

State: Ohio
THOR #4003
44-042218-0100 is the axxera part number for the tool
Who makes axxera ?
Old 10-26-2018, 02:46 AM   #20

Model: 24HE
State: Florida
THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoBeDoBeDo View Post
I bought a used 2016 Freedom Elite with the Axerra. It didn’t have a remote control but I think it must have had one originally. I’m not getting anywhere with CW or Axerra and I’d like to have a remote, any suggestions?
If you still need one, I can send you mine. I just replaced my radio. DM me with an address and I’ll mail it to you.

Pete