Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: New Mexico
THOR #18536
Replace couch in Thor Miramar

Has anyone replaced their couch in a Thor Miramar where the current couch is half on/half off a ledge on the slide? The floor of the slide is elevated from the rest of the coach. Has anyone dealt with this before? Are there special reclining couches you can buy that fit these spaces? Our current jackknife couch is so uncomfortable to sit on.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Colorado
THOR #18651
I’m with you, the jack knife couch is not optimum.

I have a 2018 Miramar 34.2 and what my wife and I have done is buy a couple of those Pillow backs with the little arm rests. We lay the couch flat, put those in the corners with a couple other pillows and made it a comfortable spot.

It’s not the info you requested but it worked for us.

Steve
Old 04-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Texas
THOR #218
Replace couch in Thor Miramar

We replaced the very uncomfortable couch in our 2018 Miramar 35.3 with theater seating. We bought the Thomas Paine Heritage recliners with a center console. So much better. They fit on the ledge as you describe and can be bolted down with lag bolts (use caution with bolt length). The hardest part of the replacement is getting the old couch out the door. You will have to completely disassemble it to get it out. Good luck with it. We would do it again for sure.
See this thread for the ones we installed. https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ners-3953.html
5 Star Tuner, Blue Ox, Towtector
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
Roy

State: North Carolina
THOR #18740
What a mess under couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
I’m with you, the jack knife couch is not optimum.

I have a 2018 Miramar 34.2 and what my wife and I have done is buy a couple of those Pillow backs with the little arm rests. We lay the couch flat, put those in the corners with a couple other pillows and made it a comfortable spot.

It’s not the info you requested but it worked for us.

Steve
We attempted to swap out the couch of our 2018 34.2 but the mess of wires and the washer/dryer connections under the couch make it almost impossible.Not worth the effort.My advice is to look under the couch before you buy.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:00 PM   #5

State: Michigan
THOR #20386
Thomas Pane Replacement Sofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSPKS View Post
We replaced the very uncomfortable couch in our 2018 Miramar 35.3 with theater seating. We bought the Thomas Paine Heritage recliners with a center console. So much better. They fit on the ledge as you describe and can be bolted down with lag bolts (use caution with bolt length). The hardest part of the replacement is getting the old couch out the door. You will have to completely disassemble it to get it out. Good luck with it. We would do it again for sure.
See this thread for the ones we installed. https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ners-3953.html
PMSPKS,
Just picked up a used 2018 Miramar 35.3 and want to install the Thomas Pane reclining sofa system. As Roy mentioned there are a gaggle of wires running under the jack knife couch. Did you have to relocate the wires or is there room under the recliners? Any pics of your set up would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #6

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Done that. When we decided on the 2020 the only major problem was the sofa, just not comfortable at all. So after Lippert got their stock back in, ordered and received the 3 pieces via truck. A bit of money (its only money) but well worth it. Check your dimensions as it appears that Thor may have changed the layout a bit of the dinette vs the sofa, not sure in yours.

Removing the old ones not a problem just disassemble as far as possible.

Moving the new recliners into the small-ish door is not a problem, two people please for safety and not to damage anything.

After removal the wires are loose at the back bottom. Secured with ty-raps and screws to the floor and where the 12V wires are installed the slit slip over conduit for protection.

On mine they installed a 4x4 box with a blank, this is to make the transition from the SO cable coming from the house (flexible) to Romex. I replaced the blank cover with a dual recept., wired into the existing circuit. Have 3 plugs, one each for the recliners and one for the USB power in the center.

In sizing this up, the back of the recliners was going to hit the curtain valence a bit, I installed a 2"x2" aluminum strip on the front of deck painted black, and used self taps into the slide out frame (its steel). This also keeps the floor material secured. I kept this down a 1/4" from the top (not flush).

Then secured the set to the 2x2 with bolts with insert locking nuts. Also screwed to the slide out deck in the back also. Watch the channel under the slide out for the locking t bars (look underneath when out) as you can screw into with improper location. 4 screws per chair. Install the chair backs AFTER you install the bottoms.

I had to do a bit of layout work to make sure nothing rubbed on either end of the recliners. Plug in the electric and go!

Bonus.... Thor installed a small shelf at the back of the sofa, I relocated this to the back of the dinette (had to shorten 4" or so) so now there is a short shelf for drinks! Copilot loves it.

The final installation on the deck means the recliners sit up higher than when installed flat on the floor and feet will dangle. This is like this on other MH's we looked at, not a problem just put the foot rest out!

These recliners pass the sleep test too well. You cannot recline them all the way when the slide out is in on the one at the TV, hits the fireplace.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9966.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	26650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9970.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	26651  

Name:	IMG_9974.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	26652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9976.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	26653  

Old 10-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #7

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
More Pictures, don't know why one was upside down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9972.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	26654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9976.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	26655  

Name:	IMG_9977.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	26656  
Old 10-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It looks great; congratulations!
Old 10-12-2020, 11:19 PM   #9

State: Michigan
THOR #20386
Thomas Pane Sofa

pneumatics,
Great job with the install and I really appreciate the detailed instructions and pictures. I was not sure I could tackle this myself but after your reply it should not be too difficult.

Thanks so much for taking the time.

Safe travels.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:33 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Very nice and great writeup pneumatics.
TripleGGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:32 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #218
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Lake View Post
PMSPKS,
Just picked up a used 2018 Miramar 35.3 and want to install the Thomas Pane reclining sofa system. As Roy mentioned there are a gaggle of wires running under the jack knife couch. Did you have to relocate the wires or is there room under the recliners? Any pics of your set up would be appreciated.
Thanks
TC Lake,
I just saw this post with your request. My apologies. Pneumatics did a great job of describing, with pictures the installation. I couldn't have done it better!!
5 Star Tuner, Blue Ox, Towtector
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote