Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.2 Axis
State: British Columbia
THOR #14075
Replace Tankless Water Heater

I have a 2018 25.2 Axis, love the coach, HATE the tankless water heater, I have read and done ALL of the suggestions I could find on here and other sites. Yes the heater works but I almost always dry camp and this heater wastes water big time.
My question is, has anyone swapped this tankless heater out for a normal tank heater? I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer as to whether or not it is possible. If someone has done it or knows where I can find the info, please let me know.

Thank you

Old 10-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yes: this is a do-able thing...
If the Girard comes out: the new heater should fit pretty close in the same spot.
The trick: getting the plumbing sorted out.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My personal preference would be to replace it with the system from Truma...
Old 10-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm going to use this thread as a way for me to get an education because I am just absolutely not understanding the discontent with water heaters.

I need to know, and I'm dead serious, how someone concerned with water usage doesn't put a pitcher under the faucet to catch the three quarts(this is twice the maximum amount in my experience. Insert your own number here) of cold water that comes out, and, after collecting however much is deemed worth the effort, POUR IT BACK INTO THE FRESH WATER TANK(or put it in the ice maker, or give it to the dog, insert your own scene here) . I'd do it. It seems practical.

Potentially thousands of dollars and, if truthful with yourself, no difference in the volume of the cold water stored in the supply lines...or buy a pitcher.
My house has a hot water circulation pump. It doesn't affect the farthest shower. It's three gallons to get hot water there. The three gallons go to the birds or gets put back in the cistern, so I might be predisposed to a solution outside of a tank change.

I'm not bashing the op, I'm trying to figure out if I am dead wrong and should change my tankless to a tank, spend the money and be happier.

I must be way way off in my contention and am willing to learn.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
He's talking shower!! After the water runs across your nuts and down your legs...no one wants it poured back into the water tank!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #6

THOR #13932
The order of order is:
bucket, then butt, not butt then bucket

(and with some of the water I've heard about at some campgrounds, the hair filter would be an improvement.)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm afraid that I'd get the sequence wrong.

It would make the mashed potatoes taste funny...

My Truma gets HOT water to all of my "ampleness" in less than three seconds.
Virtually no wasted water.
It also operates reliably at 40 psi pressures, and allows me the full use of both shower faucets: mixing is now allowed.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
At home, my water heater is 135' from my kitchen...like duckface, 100% of my dog's water comes from catching water in pitchers as I wait an eternity for hot water to make the trip. Regarding the OP, this can be done. It would require lots of construction and plumbing, but it can be done. My 2nd "runner up" choice (Dynamax Isata 5) when I bought the Thor had an on-demand water heater. It was a deal breaker for me. Same with the stove...I have to have the old gas top burners with an oven.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I can actually get undressed; while waiting for the hot water in my home... no lie!
Let's face it: these are all "First-World" problems, that a lot of folks would feel lucky to have...
Old 10-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #10

THOR #13932
I always consider myself wrong when faced with something I don't understand.
So, in pondering this whole thing, it has dawned on me the best use for the shower/bathroom sink cold water.
It can easily sit in the designated container until it's time to add water to the toilet.
Easy, effective, local to the problem by inches.

It could also, if insistence on following through on a thought is indeed an insistance:
The shower valve pipe thingy that runs water back to your fresh water tank, the one that essentially absolutely eliminates the water heater discussion, could just as easily fill a toilet bowl.

And now we're on to leaky toilet ball valves.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #11

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Replacing Tankless Water Heater

I have also looked into switching out to a 6 gallon tank WH and the only issue I can see is if there is enough room where the Girard is located. The dimensions for the Girard are 12.5 wide, 12.5 high and 15.5 deep whereas the Suburban
6 gallon is 12 11/16 wide by 12 11/16 high and 19 3/16 deep. In my Compass the back of the tank is accessible from the storage drawer beneath the fuse and breaker box and it looks as if there is enough room and will be taking it to my local RV shop to see if it can be done and at what cost. The tank water heaters are around $600 in Canada and the Girards are twice that much but I think the most cost will be in the labour but not sure when I will get the chance as the time for winterization is coming up fast.
Coveman2
Old 10-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It sounds interesting... why not just jerk the Girard out now, and simplify the wintering process? In the Spring: you'll be ready for the new system!
Old 10-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #13

THOR #13224
Tankless Water Heater

I would like to get it looked at but at this time of year my RV dealer is swamped
with winterizing and repairs that must be done to other coaches and the best they could do was 5 weeks away just to look at it and up here in Canada we never know what the weather will throw at us at this time of the year
Coveman2
Old 10-03-2019, 07:20 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The weather is even staring to concern me!
Mine goes to the dealer on October 19th, and there's been some talk of frost already!
Old 10-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #15

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Why not just install this......

https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/

First.... If you dry camp a lot, it will do a better job of conserving your fresh water and reduce the filling of your gray tank.

Second... If the faucet is far enough away from the tank, you are still going to get cold water for a bit until the line is flushed with the hot water.... especially depending on the time of year and outdoor temps.

Personally.... I'll take the On Demand Hot Water system every time... but that's just my preference. I do think this might be a better solution for you and a lot less money.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #16

THOR #14192
My home has a tankless and my brother complained that it took too long to heat the water. I responded that it was instant hot water which it is. He is overlooking that there are many feet of pipe between the tankless and the bathroom. A hot water heater with a tank would make no difference, the pipes are still full of cold water from the tank to the shower. On the other hand I just toured a Dynamax with a Truma and they had a switch for efficiency that takes longer to heat the water, not sure how this works but maybe the RV ones are different. Maybe the instant switch keeps the few ounces of water in the tankless heating pipes warm as a quick start feature.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #17

THOR #13224
Tankless Water Heater

I also have an on demand hot water heater in my home but the Girard does not work the same and yes you wait for hot water but once its set you do not adjust it. In our last motorhome (210 Roadtrek) we had the standard 6 gallon heater and found it worked better than the Girard and we would shut off the propane once the water was hot and could get two showers easily out of 6 gallons
Coveman2
Old 10-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #18

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
One thing I like about the tankless vs the tank is the tankless is less apt to have any sediment or debris build up in it.

You can get a wide range of water quality from site to site. The tankless lets the water and anything in it push through the coils and out of the unit.

Granted, the filters (I use an outside and inside filter) are supposed to prevent that sort of thing but over time you can still get some particulates forming.... especially as the hot water cools and anything dissolved in it comes out of solution and falls to the bottom of the tank.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The Truma system is constantly recirculating hot water through they system. The wait for the proper temperature water is as close to nil, as you can get...
Old 10-03-2019, 11:40 PM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Axis View Post
I have a 2018 25.2 Axis, love the coach, HATE the tankless water heater, I have read and done ALL of the suggestions I could find on here and other sites. Yes the heater works but I almost always dry camp and this heater wastes water big time.
My question is, has anyone swapped this tankless heater out for a normal tank heater? I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer as to whether or not it is possible. If someone has done it or knows where I can find the info, please let me know.

Thank you
There was just a thread on here where the OP wants to install a small (1.6 to 2 gallon) electric water heater downstream of his Girard exactly to eliminate your problem. Try a search.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote