Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero77 View Post
I think the Axxera system uses different cameras. If it used the voyager cameras then the Jensen 215N would be your best bet. It plays music for all 3 cameras while driving on the road. The only time it shuts down is when you are in reverse which activates the rear camera microphone. BTW it has a GPS too. Hope it works out for you. GL
The system on my Challenger has 3 cameras which plug into a controller under the top of the dash and then a single cable which goes from the controller to the camera input on the back of the Axxerra 614. The controller determines which camera is being viewed based on left turn, right turn, reverse, or default (rear) when camera mode is selected.

The camera can be viewed while audio is played by holding the mode button for 2 seconds, as others have stated. The audio of choice must be selected before holding down the mode button. For example I select Aux Audio to listen to my Sirius radio first and then hold down the mode button to have the rear camera view displayed while listening to satellite radio.

In my opinion, for me at least, GPS in a RV in dash unit would be a waste of money since most of the units do not allow for custom configuration of RV data such as height, weight, length, LPG on board etc... I do not need a GPS routing me under a 12 foot bridge with a 12 foot 9 inch rig. I experienced this first hand with the Magnadyne unit with GPS that was factory installed in my prior Forest River coach. That GPS kept trying to route me over low weight limit country road bridges.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
In my opinion, for me at least, GPS in a RV in dash unit would be a waste of money since most of the units do not allow for custom configuration of RV data such as height, weight, length, LPG on board etc... I do not need a GPS routing me under a 12 foot bridge with a 12 foot 9 inch rig. I experienced this first hand with the Magnadyne unit with GPS that was factory installed in my prior Forest River coach. That GPS kept trying to route me over low weight limit country road bridges.
The 215 allows you to select the type of vehicle for the GPS routing. The choices don't include RV but I think the "Bus" choice would be sufficient to have it avoid nasty surprises as mentioned.

The nice thing about it is that the navigation isn't custom Jensen code, it is "iGo" navigation:
iGO Navigation - Global Navigation Software

The first thing I did when I get the 215 was remove the SD card and update it (The iGo website has a tool you install that scans the card and allows different options, including updating the data).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #23
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The 215 allows you to select the type of vehicle for the GPS routing. The choices don't include RV but I think the "Bus" choice would be sufficient to have it avoid nasty surprises as mentioned.

The nice thing about it is that the navigation isn't custom Jensen code, it is "iGo" navigation:
iGO Navigation - Global Navigation Software

The first thing I did when I get the 215 was remove the SD card and update it (The iGo website has a tool you install that scans the card and allows different options, including updating the data).
The Magnadyne had bus mode as well and thanks for the reminder of why it was totally useless. Since there are no settings for length, even in Bus mode I was routed down numerous, what I would consider, alleys and required to make 130 degree right turns. This happened on multiple trips as well as routing me on one trip through numerous mountain side small towns and narrow roads for 35 miles when I could have stayed on the interstate for 2 more exits and been at the front gate of festival farm I was staying at for Oktoberfest.

The Magnadyne maps were provided by Naviextras, which it turns out is the map provider for devices running iGo navigation.

You need to make your own decision but my experience with using in dash GPS units for RV navigation has been a nightmare. Since I went from 28 to 38 feet in length and 11 feet to 12 feet 9 inches in height I am not going to take a chance that Bus mode would be sufficient to avoid nasty situations. Good luck.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:05 PM   #24

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
The mode button as toggle does not work on my unit--2015 ACE 30.2. Either my radio unit is bad, Axxxera programmed a mod, or ACE quit using cameras with microphones recently on the assembly line for the 30.2....
I will have to make some calls.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #25

Model: Tuscany 40GQ
State: California
THOR #3283
Axxera AVM10BH

I know this model is a little different from the one you're discussing on this thread, but I wanted to ask, can anyone comment on the quality of the radio? The quality on mine is horrible. Even the strong stations in town sound bad.

As far as the overall unit, I think it's a poor choice for an RV. I normally travel while watching the rear camera so I can keep an eye on my Jeep.

However, in the camera mode, the volume controls are dead! I have to exit the camera mode to get to the radio mode, adjust the volume, then go back to camera mode.

Then I found the included remote. I thought this would solve my problems. It didn't! I still have to exit the camera mode to do anything.

I'd appreciate comments on the sound quality of your units.

2016 Tuscany 40GQ
Jeep Grand Cherokee
5 Dogs!
racinart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #26

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Not at all impressed either. My 2004 F-150 has whatever stock radio Ford put in place and it does a lot better job. The stations I listen to in my truck don't come in well it just doesn't pick up stations unless you are very close. The sound quality IMHO is not that bad but the speaker location is not optiomum. I guess I could add a couple speakers up front, I just hate cutting holes and running wires. Jim.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:14 PM   #27

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
My GPS (Rand McNally 7720) sits on my dash just to the left of and a bit higher than my instrument panel. Easy to see - I would not want to be switching my eyesight down and away from my line of sight. Just my input.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #28

State: Florida
THOR #3091
Thank you mode switch worked

Held mode butt 2 seconds and it worked! Thank you!
Old 12-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #29

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
My GPS (Rand McNally 7720) sits on my dash just to the left of and a bit higher than my instrument panel. Easy to see - I would not want to be switching my eyesight down and away from my line of sight. Just my input.
I agree 100%.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:46 AM   #30

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
My radio has a distance and local mode...I assume for better reception when the signal is weak. Has anyone tried that? My reception seems very good, I just took delivery of an ACE 29.3 (2016) and have had no problems with the radio once I figured out how it worked. However, Thor didn't put any speakers up front so that may be a problem if I want to listen to the radio (or a cd) going down the road. I am traveling 120 miles to the dealer in the morning for a small water leak fix (I hope it will be a very easy fix) and will report back about the radio/cd sound quality. I appreciate the information about using a GPS through this (or any other built in) unit and agree my RV GPS is a much safer option. I input all the specs of our motorhome into our GPS and it will help keep us out of trouble... thanks for the information.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #31

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Washington
THOR #3419
I installed a separate monitor for the camera. I tapped to ignition wire and it comes on when the unit is turned on. Now the camera is always on the screen and the radio is fully functional. The camera has standard RCA connection which is compatible with most of the monitors. I have not check the backup voice reception but I really don't care about it as long as I can see behind me and I have my side mirrors.
Hope this helps.