Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
Question Replacing Axis/Vegas House Batteries

I am looking at upgrading the house batteries to something with higher amp-hours.

Has anyone found any 6VDC batteries that fit in the existing battery storage area of the Axis/Vegas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:26 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
The only batteries I've found with more usable capacity that might fit in my existing battery compartment are of the Lithium chemistries. Here's a site that peeks my curious side: 12V RV Batteries | Deep Cycle Lithium Ion Batteries | Smart Battery

I've been messing with various Lithium battery types for many years and really like the usable capacities but I've had mixed results for longevity. I've actually had the best results with the more volatile chemistries.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:21 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I am not near my Axis 24.1. What is the size of the house and starting batteries.

What about charging systems for the Lithium Ion batteries?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:09 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
My chassis battery is BCI-65 Motorcraft. The house batteries have nothing but a barcode. Size is like group 27 at a bit over 12" long and 6.75" wide by about 9.25" to top of post (a bit taller for water fill system). On paper they should be about 90AH new (40 usable). The box opening is 7"wide x 22" long and about 10" deep.

The LiFePO4 SB100 looks to be an equivalent size, double the usable capacity and charging range similar to lead acid (except for float). Seemingly a drop in replacement via BMS!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
I am not near my Axis 24.1. What is the size of the house and starting batteries.

What about charging systems for the Lithium Ion batteries?
Two Walmart 29DC's will fit in your Axis/Vegas 24.1 coach battery box. They are an upgrade AH wise and only cost $99. The 24.1 used to come with group 25 junk Harris batteries. Although I think they switched to some other company in 2016
Old 04-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolandd View Post
I am looking at upgrading the house batteries to something with higher amp-hours.

Has anyone found any 6VDC batteries that fit in the existing battery storage area of the Axis/Vegas?

Thanks in advance.
You probably already know this, but in case you are new to battery replacement, keep in mind that amp-hour ratings between 6-Volt and 12-Volt are not equivalent. In order to get the same amount of energy out of your system, the 6-Volt batteries would need twice as high an amp-hour rating.

So two 100 amp-hour 12-Volt batteries are equivalent to two 200 amp-hour 6-Volt batteries.

Please excuse this reply if you already knew this; it's just that amp-hours is not a complete measure of battery capacity and sometimes causes confusion. Some people think that by going to 6-Volt batteries they gain a lot of capacity, which in itself isn't the case.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3723
http://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vmax...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

We have installed 2 of these as replacements for the stock batteries under the stairs.
Perfect fit! We have the 24.1 Axis.