Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2022, 10:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.4
State: Alabama
THOR #15477
Residential Fridge and Battery Problems

We have a 2018 Thor Ace 30.4. It has the Dometic fridge. There is an inverter under the fridge.
I have 2 questions.
1) what would cause the inverter to beep? Even when on shore power.
2) how do we switch the fridge to propane?
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mablunk View Post
We have a 2018 Thor Ace 30.4. It has the Dometic fridge. There is an inverter under the fridge.
I have 2 questions.
1) what would cause the inverter to beep? Even when on shore power.
2) how do we switch the fridge to propane?
Thanks in advance.
Did you buy the RV new?

Thor only installs inverters on coaches with residential fridges or outdoor kitchen fridges. So is your Dometic fridge a residential fridge (120 VAC only) or a combination propane/120 VAC fridge?.. If it runs on propane your on/off switch should have a GAS position.

Your inverter beeping may be due to low house battery voltage or another issue, but the inverter should display a code that will tell you exactly what the issue is. If you are trying to switch to GAS on the fridge because it is not working with SP connected and it is a 120 VAC only fridge then it is not a house battery issue, it is an inverter issue.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:47 AM   #3

THOR #15477
We bought it new.
1) I have never seen a gas setting on the fridge. It is residential.
The fridge works on shore power when it’s plugged into another plug rather than the inverter. But not when it’s plugged into the inverter and on shore power.
2) the inverter beeps and then red lights start blinking. It is a GoPower inverter.
If the house batteries are dead would that affect the inverter even if it is plugged into shore power?
Thanks so much.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:52 AM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
We bought it new.
1) I have never seen a gas setting on the fridge. It is residential.
The fridge works on shore power when it’s plugged into another plug rather than the inverter. But not when it’s plugged into the inverter and on shore power.
2) the inverter beeps and then red lights start blinking. It is a GoPower inverter.
If the house batteries are dead would that affect the inverter even if it is plugged into shore power?
Thanks so much.
So you bought the RV new with a residential fridge (which will never run on gas) and you don't have the standard Thor installed Xantrex 1800 inverter with integrated Automatic Transfer Switch; so you have to switch plugs to switch the fridge from SP to Inverter (battery power).

Without knowing the inverter model number I'd be guessing but the attached fault table is for their ISW model inverters.

A red light with beep can indicate the batteries are less than 11 VDC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter Faults.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	40023  
Old 11-04-2022, 02:36 AM   #5

THOR #15477
16ACE27
It came w the GoPower 1800. It’s under the fridge screwed to the floor and the panel in front has super long screws. We’ve had trouble with it for several years.
Is it possible they used the GoPower because the coach is solar ready?
I think it’s the house batteries.
Today, we unplugged Sp and when I went in the lights nor anything would come on. I flipped the use store button, nothing.
We had to change out the chassis battery. It starts immediately. I haven’t tried the generator.
Shore power would charge the house batteries correct? Unless they’re dead. They are about 4 yrs old.
We checked them about 6 wks ago. One held a 12.4 charge, the other kept dropping as we were checking. The highest it got was 11. If the house batteries are dead, do I understand correctly that the inverter would not work, not enough power?
If we got a portable solar unit, would it stop the batteries from losing power?
Old 11-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
If ur were mine, based on the battery at 11, I’d stick 2 new batteries in it, make sure the breakers by the batteries and under the hood aren’t tripped, and see if that takes care of it.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:26 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Not sure if you know how to attach yet, but pictures of what you see and have may help. If you think about it; if you took it some place (Dealer), the 1st thing they do is walk outside and take a look.

My 2 cents anyway while you have all of the engaged help
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 05:39 PM   #8

THOR #15477
I’ll try. But as you said, I’m not sure how to attach pics.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:46 PM   #9

THOR #15477
Jimbo56

That’s what I think too. The house batteries have been an issue since 2019. I’ll check the yellow flag by the batteries and make sure it’s not tripped. Not sure where it is under the hood.
Those batteries have lost power even when all is off with store button on store.
Should they be replaced with the exact same kind?
Old 11-04-2022, 07:43 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
[QUOTE=Mablunk;366172]Jimbo56

That’s what I think too. The house batteries have been an issue since 2019. I’ll check the yellow flag by the batteries and make sure it’s not tripped. Not sure where it is under the hood.
Those batteries have lost power even when all is off with store button on store.
Should they be replaced with the exact same kind?[
/QUOTE]

The STORE button does NOT turn off the inverter. That has a separate ON/OFF switch.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:38 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
I’ll try. But as you said, I’m not sure how to attach pics.
From the Quick Reply screen, click on the Advance button at the bottom. That takes you to another input screen with emojis on the right side and at the top there are a dozen or more editing functions. Click on the paper clip icon which takes you to a separate picture selection window.

Then click on choose file which shows a screen of the files on your computer. Scroll to select the one you want, click on it to go back to the previous screen and hit upload. Then close that window to go back to the editing window and your pic will display when you hit Submit Reply.

David
Old 11-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #12

THOR #15477
What would cause shore power to NOT charge house batteries?
Old 11-05-2022, 05:55 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
If the Use / Store switch is in Store Mode.

IMO it defies common sense logic, but the way to think of it is, if you put in Store mode, you don't want anything running. But then again, the other side is valid, if you have Shorepower have it connected and Switch in Store Mode?

But for you, put it in Use mode and call it a day. If it does not work, you may have another problem to cross that bridge if necessary.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-05-2022, 05:55 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Master power - off, use/store- store, inoperative latching relay, tripped 15 amps, 120 volt circuit breaker (labeled converter), tripped 50 amp 12 volt circuit breaker in the house battery compartment.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #15

THOR #15477
I have pictures of the inverter and the inverter on switch that’s outside the fridge.
Everything is dead except the Ford engine starts right up. Generator won’t start but gas is below 1/4 tank.

Name:	IMG_1088.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	40030

Name:	IMG_1086.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	40032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1085.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	40033

Name:	IMG_1084.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	40034
Old 11-05-2022, 07:43 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Update:

I am, sorry, I just noticed you said everything was dead except engine. Do you have and know how to work voltmeter?

With shorepower OFF - Disconnected; Check house batteries, provide the voltage?

Connect Shorepower, Make sure House Battery Switch is in Use mode; provide the new voltage reading?

The 2nd reading should be over 13.3vdc and if so wait about 4 hours, repeat until the house batteries are over 12.6 vdc with shore power disconnected; then go to my steps below.

Very good. Since we are clear on your Go Power Inverter. To keep this simple lets just confirm it is working properly.

It is 1000 watts so get something simple to plug direct into one of the two receptacle and confirm it works. Don't try something like a hair dryer but something simple like power for laptop or lamp.

As long as Inverter is on they should work. If it does not and you have a voltmeter check the voltage directly on house batteries. Let's confirm the House batteries and Inverter before going to next step.

Just so you know.

House batteries should be over 12.2VDC
That inverter will only work if the House batteries are over some specified setpoint by Go Power before it starts giving errors and shut off.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:30 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I have pictures of the inverter and the inverter on switch that’s outside the fridge.
Everything is dead except the Ford engine starts right up. Generator won’t start but gas is below 1/4 tank.
Attachment 40030

Attachment 40032Attachment 40033

Attachment 40034
That is the inverter that I provided the error light chart for.
I assume when you say "Generator won’t start" you mean it won't even crank. If not, correct me.

"Everything is dead" probably means your house batteries probable have no charge and you are not plugged into SP. If not, correct me.

For the house batteries to charge on SP many things have to work. One not working interrupts the charging process.

There has to be 120 VAC supplied to the converter - check the converter breaker in the Power Center.
The Reverse Polarity fuses in the Power Center have to be good - they are the two fuses not in line with the row of many fuses. They are either 30 amp or 40 amp fuses.
The battery disconnect latching relay has to be in the closed position - this is referred to as the USE position or Master Power ON.
The 50 amp breaker with a yellow or red flag in the battery compartment must not be tripped. This is NOT the similar looking breaker rated at 100 amps or higher. That is for the leveler hydraulic motor and generator start.

You may also have another breaker or very large fuse in the battery compartment that supplies your inverter.

If your house batteries are completely discharged and the battery disconnect was last in the OPEN position (STORE, OFF) then you will need to charge the house batteries with an external charger or jump them to provide enough power for the battery disconnect to switch to the USE position (ON) as the control power comes from the house batteries, not the converter.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:07 AM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I assume when you say "Generator won’t start" you mean it won't even crank. If not, correct me.

"Everything is dead" probably means your house batteries probable have no charge and you are not plugged into SP. If not, correct me.

For the house batteries to charge on SP many things have to work. One not working interrupts the charging process.

There has to be 120 VAC supplied to the converter - check the converter breaker in the Power Center.
The Reverse Polarity fuses in the Power Center have to be good - they are the two fuses not in line with the row of many fuses. They are either 30 amp or 40 amp fuses.
The battery disconnect latching relay has to be in the closed position - this is referred to as the USE position or Master Power ON.
The 50 amp breaker with a yellow or red flag in the battery compartment must not be tripped. This is NOT the similar looking breaker rated at 100 amps or higher. That is for the leveler hydraulic motor and generator start.

You may also have another breaker or very large fuse in the battery compartment that supplies your inverter.

If your house batteries are completely discharged and the battery disconnect was last in the OPEN position (STORE, OFF) then you will need to charge the house batteries with an external charger or jump them to provide enough power for the battery disconnect to switch to the USE position (ON) as the control power comes from the house batteries, not the converter.

So per your chart confirmed with her inverter model the Red Blinking she states is that she is under 12.5vdc; so that is why the Inverter is not working. I have to be careful with words because Inverter is doing what it is suppose to do ( Not work) as input voltage is too low. Your points above should help her to find out why?

The only other thing left that is unclear to ne is the type of fridge she has? She states she didn't see the gas, so maybe it is Residential and no gas? A picture of the outside of coach wall behind where the fridge is located would confirm that if she is not 100% sure. (or the Model number and brand works too

I could see where the fridge is Residential, it may have been left on running off the inverter and drain batteries all the way down. Now she is unable to get it to recharge the batteries due to some other issue, or didn't have Use switch on, or simply not give it enough time to charge?
Old 11-06-2022, 12:21 AM   #19

THOR #15477
Dometic fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Correct on the above. I will have to check things tomorrow as we have no lights to see.
I tried to turn the main power on but it just kicks off. That was with no sh but the motor running about 20 minutes.
I will do the things you and dk said tomorrow after church meeting. We have a volt meter. We can check the batteries after shore power.
The inverter won’t come on at all. Everything’s dead except the engine, without shore power.
Where might the very large fuse or breaker in the battery compartment be or look like for the inverter?
I’ll get back tomorrow. Thanks all.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:46 AM   #20

THOR #15477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So per your chart confirmed with her inverter model the Red Blinking she states is that she is under 12.5vdc; so that is why the Inverter is not working. I have to be careful with words because Inverter is doing what it is suppose to do ( Not work) as input voltage is too low. Your points above should help her to find out why?

The only other thing left that is unclear to ne is the type of fridge she has? She states she didn't see the gas, so maybe it is Residential and no gas? A picture of the outside of coach wall behind where the fridge is located would confirm that if she is not 100% sure. (or the Model number and brand works too

I could see where the fridge is Residential, it may have been left on running off the inverter and drain batteries all the way down. Now she is unable to get it to recharge the batteries due to some other issue, or didn't have Use switch on, or simply not give it enough time to charge?

Dk
It is a residential Danby fridge, Model DPF073C1BSLDD.
When we were attached to SP we had the master power button on, it was red, if it’s not on the led lights don’t work or the GPS axxera radio.

Ahh, something else. My niece unplugged the fridge from the inverter because it started beeping while she slept, turned off the inverter and plugged the fridge directly into an outlet so the fridge was running on strictly SP. Would the inverter being off cause the house batteries not to charge?