Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Residential Fridge/Inverter Question...

I have a Chateau Super C with the residential fridge that runs off the inverter when not connected to shore power. Question...while connected to shore power, is there a bypass feature of the inverter that automatically runs the fridge directly on 120V or does it continually run off inverter regardless?

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Hey Gritz.... hope all is well.

If you have the Xantrex Freedom X 2000 like I do in my Magnitude, it has a built-in ATS. When you are on shore or generator power, the ATS bypasses the inverter and the AC goes directly to the fridge and other outlets in that circuit.

When you lose shore or generator power, the inverter kicks in automatically and then powers the fridge and output circuit using the house batteries.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:24 PM   #3

THOR #11130
Thanks...I figured that as it only sounds logical but didn't know for sure. My coach stays in the driveway connected to SP. I've thought about disconnecting both 6V batteries while it just sits. What issues would this cause other than keeping track of SOC? Wouldn't everything else 12V run of converter? Otherwise, they continue to get trickle charged and are susceptible to drying out.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:47 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I am not sure what benefit you would get by disconnecting your coach batteries. Yes the converter would still power any DC loads and the inverter's transfer switch would supply shore power to the fridge.

It would be an easy way to confirm you actually do have a built in transfer switch in the inverter. Assuming the inverter is wired to the batteries and not supplied by the converter, then with the coach batteries disconnected the fridge shouldn't run. But that assumes that the converter wouldn't back feed through the battery wires to the inverter.

It does get complicated .

David
Old 07-23-2022, 02:03 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Residential Fridge/Inverter Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Thanks...I figured that as it only sounds logical but didn't know for sure. My coach stays in the driveway connected to SP. I've thought about disconnecting both 6V batteries while it just sits. What issues would this cause other than keeping track of SOC? Wouldn't everything else 12V run of converter? Otherwise, they continue to get trickle charged and are susceptible to drying out.

That is the challenge with flooded batteries.

I know the Progressive Dynamics Converters won’t be damaged if the batteries are disconnected. I think the WFCO’s are the same.

As Dave said, you’ll still 12V in the coach from the Converter and the AC will still pass through the Inverter.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:10 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
The Magnum in the Tuscany flows through so usually the inverter is shut off unless were in the process of loading or unloading the fridge.

I like the inverter to be the backup if the fridge is full and power goes out for any reason, so battery bank is on during those times.

Sealed batteries will tend to last as long in use as on the shelf, properly maintained, so it is a wash.

Having to add water is a different story
Old 07-23-2022, 06:41 PM   #7

THOR #11130
I think I'll disconnect them for a few days and see what may or may not die. The fridge is empty now...very rare...so, if it cuts out...no loss. My fridge has never been turned off (residential fridge like the one in the big house) since I bought the coach (stays full of emergency back-up beer). We're kinda stuck here for a short while and have the time. I just replaced both batteries with new Trojans and don't wanna take a chance on killing them by neglect.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:31 PM   #8

THOR #12751
I think your plan is ok trying to keep the new batteries from gassing too much while no in use and you shouldn't have any issues.

I have a residential fridge and a dorm fridge in the outdoor kitchen on the Magnitude. I pull my LiFePO4 batteries out in the winter time and have shore power on at times for 12V. I turn off the fridges in the winter but keep them on during the summer months.