Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2020, 02:39 AM   #1
JSE

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #20322
Residential Fridge & Propane

Hi there. I'm a total newbie so would appreciate any help. I just bought a 2016 Quantum PD31 Class C and it has a Whirlpool 'residential' refrigerator. There doesn't seem to be an option for propane and from what I can gather, that's standard for a residential fridge...?? Is that true? We plan to boondock quite a bit so I'm a little concerned about draining my batteries... still trying to figure out the inverter and power situation...

Old 08-31-2020, 03:11 AM   #2

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSE View Post
Hi there. I'm a total newbie so would appreciate any help. I just bought a 2016 Quantum PD31 Class C and it has a Whirlpool 'residential' refrigerator. There doesn't seem to be an option for propane and from what I can gather, that's standard for a residential fridge...?? Is that true? We plan to boondock quite a bit so I'm a little concerned about draining my batteries... still trying to figure out the inverter and power situation...
A residential refrigerator will not run off propane, electricity only. The wife and myself Boondock a lot and the fridge will depending on temperature outside will work off of the the batteries for several hours.
We have a Yamaha 2000 Inverter generator that we use to keep batteries charged or watch a movie and run the fridge, much cheaper than running the on board generator, it will run 10-12 hours on a gallon of gas.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:16 AM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSE View Post
You are correct. No propane or alternative fuel for your fridge while boon-docking.
Your options...
1) live with it and use your Onan generator to charge your batteries as needed. You probably have an auto-start that turns on generator when it senses batteries are below a certain level
2) run your cab engine. It will charge your house batteries
3) purchase a small Honda 1000 or 2000 generator to carry with you. It’s nice and quiet. Run it all day long when boon-docking. About $1000-1200. But you’ll need to carry a small gas can
4) look into solar. Since you live in AZ...you can generally keep your batteries charged all day long while fridge is on. Your solar array will depend on your specific needs.

Finally, Regardless what you decide to do I suggest that you upgrade your house battery bank. If you have two, double it to four. There are many Options out there.

Welcome to the Forum.
Lots of great info here
Old 08-31-2020, 04:09 AM   #4
JSE

State: Arizona
THOR #20322
Excellent info! Thank you both so much!!!