Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Texas
THOR #1978
Roadmaster All Terrain Tow Bar

Look for help. I recently purchased a Roadmaster All Terrain Two Bar and had a local RV Company do the wiring of my jeep. This is the problem I have and I am wondering if someone might have run across this before and can help me.

When I connect the jeep to the motorcoach's seven pin connector, everything works. All lights, signals, emergency flashers and break lights. When I turn on the headlights of the Coach, the running lights of the jeep also come on. This is where the problem comes in: When the lights are on for the coach, the running lights do come on, but the back right tail light looks like the break light is on all the time. It is brighter than the left tail light. When I hit the break of the coach, both break lights look as if they are own (the right tail light never changes, it is alway bright as if the breaks were on). Let off the break and the left light dims, but the right light remains bright.

In addition to the above, when the coach lights are on, and the jeep running lights are on, the right blinker will not blink. Turn the lights off and the right blinker will blink and the bread lights work fine.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong. I have contacted the company who installed the tow bar and did the wiring, but they will not return my call, so I am left with trying to figure this out on my on. This has been going own since August 2017. I may just have to break down and take it to someone else. Hoping to find someone who might know what the problem is an do it myself.

Anyway, I have a 2015 Thor ACE 29.2 and a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport JKU. Like I said, I can drive it during the day just fine. But If I have to drive it at night then the right blinker will not function.

I know this may be a little confusing but I hope you understand the point I am trying to make.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:51 AM   #2

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
It sounds like they connected a couple wires incorrectly. I have no patience for sorting wiring, so I would have another shop take a look at it. Kind of sucks tho.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:55 AM   #3

Model: ACE
State: Texas
THOR #1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I would take it back to the shop that installed it. It sounds like they connected a couple wires incorrectly.
I have been trying to get the original installers to fix it on many occasions. They are very adapte at stall tactics and not returning phone calls. I can’t get an appointment with them and they have yet to show any signs as to helping me. Like I said this has been going own since August.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I think I would call Roadmaster. Perhaps they can pressure the dealer to make it right. I have found Roadmaster customer service to be one of the best I have worked with.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
I have a 2014 ACE 29.2 and tow a Jeep GC Overland equipped with Roadmaster InvisiBrake installed by CW. Had a number of issues with the Jeep continually throwing codes. Evidently CW didn't install it properly even though they claimed to have substantial experience with this product. CW was responsive once I got the Service Manager involved, but it still took a number of returns for service and consultations with my Jeep dealer. This went on for months, but it is now working properly (knock on wood) including a trip from TN to CA and back. I couldn't begin to figure out what was going on, and the CW as well as Jeep Techs/Managers took a while to get it ironed out. They never did tell me what the final solution was (possibly just plain luck???). My hookup also included a diode kit for proper light functioning when connected to the MH.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:35 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmcclintock View Post
Look for help. I recently purchased a Roadmaster All Terrain Two Bar and had a local RV Company do the wiring of my jeep. This is the problem I have and I am wondering if someone might have run across this before and can help me.

When I connect the jeep to the motorcoach's seven pin connector, everything works. All lights, signals, emergency flashers and break lights. When I turn on the headlights of the Coach, the running lights of the jeep also come on. This is where the problem comes in: When the lights are on for the coach, the running lights do come on, but the back right tail light looks like the break light is on all the time. It is brighter than the left tail light. When I hit the break of the coach, both break lights look as if they are own (the right tail light never changes, it is alway bright as if the breaks were on). Let off the break and the left light dims, but the right light remains bright.

In addition to the above, when the coach lights are on, and the jeep running lights are on, the right blinker will not blink. Turn the lights off and the right blinker will blink and the bread lights work fine.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong. I have contacted the company who installed the tow bar and did the wiring, but they will not return my call, so I am left with trying to figure this out on my on. This has been going own since August 2017. I may just have to break down and take it to someone else. Hoping to find someone who might know what the problem is an do it myself.

Anyway, I have a 2015 Thor ACE 29.2 and a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport JKU. Like I said, I can drive it during the day just fine. But If I have to drive it at night then the right blinker will not function.

I know this may be a little confusing but I hope you understand the point I am trying to make.
Was there a particular wiring harness/light kit used?
Would be separate from towbar...

Sounds like the taillight wire is also connected to right brake light... Which would explain both the brightness and turn signal not working when running lights are on (turn uses same bulb as brake and it's already on...)

Likely issue is at on of the ends... Socket on back of RV, plug that plugs into RV, or in taillight fixture.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Sounds like something has gone astray with the wiring. Its possible they used the wrong wiring kit. When I had mine wired, the installer used a GM wiring kit, since my toad is a Chevy. I'm sure there are wiring kits for Jeeps, hopefully that's what was used. I would contact whoever did your installation, and tell them they left you with a safety issue, making your rig unsafe at night. You might point out, that your sure they would not want you involved in a traffic incident due to an unsafe condition that exists as a result of their work.,