Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Axis-Vegas engine noise muffled

I posted this over on irv2 and thought I would do the same over here in case some owners don't get over there.

When I first drove the Vegas, I found the engine noise to be very loud compared to our other coach which was a diesel. So much so that my wife and I could not carry on a comfortable conversation at highway speeds. Also, the cockpit engine cover got kinda warm. I wanted to see if there was any insulation on the back side of it. I have a pic that shows the stock cover as it was removed and a pic with the foam insulation installed. The only stock insulation is a pad with foil on the large face. This leaves a lot of vacant areas for sound and heat to transfer into the cockpit. The foam has reduced the engine noise considerable and was worth the time and effort. I had to use a right angle head to get at the screws under the dash. Also, had to remove a wood diagonal support which was only stapled in place. I drilled a couple of screw holes to re-attach.

The foam I used was Great Stuff which is available most big box stores and home improvement stores. It has a temp rating of 240F, so that should cover most of the engine compartment temps.
It will stick to anything it touches, so be aware and protect yourself. I wiped the surface down with alcohol to remove any residue from the fiberglasing and provide better adhesion. Had to do a little trimming with a sharp knife to clear some of the stuff on the back of the engine, but it trims easily and marks well on the interference's so, you know where to trim.

After insulating the engine cover, I noticed that a slight engine noise was coming from the windshield area. There was a gap on each side where the dash does not meet with the glass almost all the way around the width of the windshield. Also a gap at the corner posts for the windshield. I stuffed some 1 1/4 sq. soft foam ac insulation in the gaps and that has quietened it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0439.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0442.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	133  

Old 11-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Interesting, I haven't attempted to remove the doghouse yet but I agree it gets mighty noisy in there. I would think some underhood foam would work just as well, like this:
http://www.amazon.com/FatMat-Hood-Li...=soundproofing
How thick was the foam/foil that is there?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
So I finally got my doghouse removed to put more insulation underneath.

Doghouse on the Axis:

Removed doghouse:

And I find that the dog house has about 1/2" of insulation all around it.

Even underneath there was insulation:

If you look carefully you can see a red arrow on the right pointing to the oil filler tube, and a blue arrow at the top pointing to the engine computer module.
(Just to identify some things.)
Since I already had purchased some material I doubled up the insulation (adding another 3/4" or so on top of the 1/2"). I checked the sound levels at 2000 RPM with a sound meter app on my phone and it didn't notice any difference (reading about 100 db before and after).
Old 11-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #4

THOR #1249
Good pics. Looks like your doghouse has a more complete insulation job than mine had from the factory. That is probably the reason eng. noise reduction was more noticeable after I insulated the entire surface. That Fat Mat looks like it would be a good insulation and most likely be easier to install. When dealing with sound proofing, it is important to cover any openings and any surface that is likely to transmit sound. Sometimes hard to do on removable panels.
When my wife gets her smart phone in a week or so, I will look into getting an app like you have. BTW, where do you get one?
Thanks and glad you posted the pics of the eng. Very helpful to locate stuff if needed.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:34 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010
BTW, where do you get one?
To find the app just search the store (either Google's play store for an Android phone, or Apple's App Store for an iPhone) for "Sound Meter" (both stores have apps right on the phone).
Old 11-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #6

Model: 27 ft ACE
State: California
THOR #1318
I am glad that you have posted pics and all I have a 2013 27 ft ACE and have to yell to the wife to talk to her and also placed a blue tooth speaker on the dashboard so I can listen to music without killing any passengers in the back with the over head speakers. About how much insulation did you use and I see that you put it on the dog house but not sure how you placed it around the engine. If you help clarify some of that I would appreciate it. Also does it cut the noise down a lot. What do you think about the spray sound deadener. Would that be easier and cover more or is it a fire hazard
Old 11-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
From my pictures you can see that our engine bay already had insulation all around it. Since I had already purchased some (this guy:
Amazon.com: FatMat Hood-Liner 34" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Automotive Sound Deadening Hood Liner - Aluminum Face: Automotive )
I figured I'd double it up. From what I could tell the insulation Thor used was identical to what I had purchased except for the thickness (Thor's 1/2", my purchase 3/4"). I still have yet to take our camper on the road to see if it made a difference. Revving the engine to 2000 RPM didn't show any difference on the sound meter App I was using.

I really don't have an opinion of the spray sound insulation--it may work better as it is harder than the foam (but then "hardness" may transmit sound as well). There was a lot of area under there that I could have coated but I only chose to do the doghouse.
This insulation is self-adhesive; you just peel off the backing and stick it in place. Very Easy.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #8

Model: 27 ft ACE
State: California
THOR #1318
It looks like you did the spray on sound deadener. Did you just put it on the dog house or around the engine also. Overall did it help that much with the noise
Old 11-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Nope I didn't do any spray on. Any spray on in my pictures was applied by the plant.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I was looking at this a while back, thinking of doing something similar in my class C
QuietRide Solutions
Old 11-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #1327
If you don't mind my asking but we are about to order a 2015 Axis 24.1 and wondered how you like or dislike it after the time you have owned it?>
Old 11-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
So far we love ours. We've had minimal issues with it (unlike some other Thor products) and take it out whenever we can (which being in MI and going into winter right now) is a bit less than we'd like to.
Since you'll be ordering one you may want to look at the Mods thread here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-3-go-820.html
For things that people have done to theirs (aside from this thread).
Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #13

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #1327
We are looking for the best price, of course, but concerned about buying out of state and local dealer is saying they may not service the Axis if we don't buy it there! What do news ones go for?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I think I've seen people say they've picked one up for $69k or so. Not sure I've seen any prices lower than that.
Ours was a camper show special at $66k.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #15

State: Connecticut
THOR #3862
Rvdirect. Is the place to shop. You can factory order one
We ordered a 2013. Thor ace 30.1. With 3 cameras. 15 k a/c. Cherry wood cabinets. Auto level jacks. Copper penny exterior.
Ordered new March 2013