Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #1712
Rust Issues

Is anyone experiencing rust on their RV. We have a brand new 2015 Miramar with rust in every lower compartment. Rust in the wheel wells, on the frame rails ect...

Thank you.
Ron

Old 06-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Click image for larger version

Name:	rust 1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	522

I too this picture in January - the frame rail is rusting and the two screws that holds in the light are also rusting.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #3

State: Illinois
THOR #1712
Thanks, what did you do?
Old 02-17-2016, 01:08 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Indiana
THOR #3677
We have rust throughout ours as well - we brought ours to Thor's Gas Coach Service Center and they "sealed and painted over it". I fully expect it to be back, and our rust seriously showed up within the first 30 days we owned it.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #2107
Rust

I had a similar problem with a new RV I bought several years ago. It was driven from the factory in Iowa to the dealer in North Carolina during winter. The salt from roads during that trip caked the bottom of the unit and it was not cleaned prior to sale. I didn't even think about that possibility. About a year later, it was so bad that the brake line rusted in two while I was driving it! Luckily I got to a repair facility safely. Dealer did nothing about it nor did the manufacturer because it was out of warranty. About all you can do is power wash underneath and I used a rust fixative. Not a perfect fix but stopped most of it.

Lesson learned, pay attention to the possibility of salt on a new unit, and if you can, buy a unit that was delivered during warm months.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Indiana
THOR #3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrambler View Post
The salt from roads during that trip caked the bottom of the unit and it was not cleaned prior to sale. I didn't even think about that possibility.
That wasn't something we had considered either. Ours was delivered in early spring of 2015 and sat on the dealer's lot until September when we bought it. However ours had a slide that wasn't manufactured properly and leaked all that time, saturating all the walls with water, on the dealers lot. The damage wasn't visible when we bought the unit, but I found a rusty screw in the walls and that's what lead us to find out the damage went further.

I also took a closer look after I got the unit back from Thor's service center and it appears they didn't take care of much if any of the rust in the basement area. Thoroughly disappointed.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
When my coach came in from Thor almost a year ago, I was able to go see it as they were prepping and inspecting it for delivery. When I walked up, they had a few lawn sprinklers 'rinsing' the undercarriage of the coach. I was confused and asked why would they do such a thing. My dealership said every coach they receive during the winter months, they rinse the undercarriage and lubricate the chassis to help prevent rust from the road salt/grime during its trip down south.

Needless to say, when I got home, I put a few can's of WD40 on my list, and went under the chassis to be sure it was well lubed. So far, very little rust has been noticed even with the high humidity we have here in Louisiana.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote