Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35M
State: Kentucky
THOR #27564
Question RV Insurance

We have just purchased our Thor Windsport and are looking for recommendations for Insurance companies. Also want to find out about Extended Service Plans and Roadside Assistance
Thank you

Old 08-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCaines View Post
We have just purchased our Thor Windsport and are looking for recommendations for Insurance companies. Also want to find out about Extended Service Plans and Roadside Assistance
Thank you

Welcome to the forum

Use the search feature. There are already a bunch of threads discussing both topics.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:29 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
You're credit score will play a huge part for rates

If you have excellent credit Geico has one of the best rates
Old 08-03-2022, 02:38 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
We use Progressive for MH and Geico for boat and cars. Most of them offer roadside assistance with limitations. Best medicine here is do the search feature for "insurance", make a list of your requirements and call every company addressing the specific coverage of their policy you are interested in. Otherwise, this thread will end up 17 pages long with a couple old cronies arguing about which griddle dries tennis shoes the best. Insurance options are one of the biggest topics that get posted here and you'll read them all with the search. Congratulations on the life changing purchase...you'll love it!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
I just purchased a motorhome also. I used my automobile insurance company, State Farm. I also used their Emergency Road Service, it covers everything that others do and it is only $12/year. In addition the Ford E350 Super Duty Chassis came with 5 year, 60,000 mile emergency road service. I could purchase a AAA RV add on for $41/year.

After researching extended warranty options, I found that almost all of the extended warranties offered had big complaints when people tried to submit a claim. So I will use the money saved to fix the problem myself. The most expensive repairs are to the Ford Chassis itself (engine, transmission, electronics, etc.) so if I may decide to purchase the Ford Extended Warranty to make it a 6 year, 72,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty (up from the factory 3 year, 36,0000 mile bumper to bumper) for about $3,000. I think that I can fix any RV system problem myself. Probably the most expensive thing is the generator in RV systems.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCambrian View Post
I just purchased a motorhome also. I used my automobile insurance company, State Farm. I also used their Emergency Road Service, it covers everything that others do and it is only $12/year. In addition the Ford E350 Super Duty Chassis came with 5 year, 60,000 mile emergency road service. I could purchase a AAA RV add on for $41/year.

After researching extended warranty options, I found that almost all of the extended warranties offered had big complaints when people tried to submit a claim. So I will use the money saved to fix the problem myself. The most expensive repairs are to the Ford Chassis itself (engine, transmission, electronics, etc.) so if I may decide to purchase the Ford Extended Warranty to make it a 6 year, 72,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty (up from the factory 3 year, 36,0000 mile bumper to bumper) for about $3,000. I think that I can fix any RV system problem myself. Probably the most expensive thing is the generator in RV systems.
AAA rv does not have service in all parts of the country. Read your contract and do some research.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:14 PM   #7

THOR #9178
Quote:
Thank you
How about coming back and giving us an update after you pick your carrier and a few specifics as to why?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2022, 05:40 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Kentucky
THOR #27564
Thank you, I actually have my home and vehicles with State Farm and have requested a quote from them, just not sure if they are well suited to provide RV insurance
Thanks
Ron
Old 08-03-2022, 05:52 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you, I actually have my home and vehicles with State Farm and have requested a quote from them, just not sure if they are well suited to provide RV insurance
Thanks
Ron
We have State farm for house and vehicles. Their quote to add the MH was extremely high. We went with Good Sam's National General and even moved the primary TOAD vehicle to them (Single deductible in case of an accident involving both).

We have switched back and forth between Good Sam and FMCA Roadside Assistance. Never had to use either one (yet).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #10

THOR #9178
I used to have the Tuscany insured with Farm Bureau as I could state the value. The price difference between Geico got to be well over a thousand dollars for the exact same coverage other than replacement cost. Most are going to use market-based replacement values.

Watch as some RV insurance policies may have riders on windshield glass. Usually this only affects the big one-piece windshields coaches.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCambrian View Post

The biggest issue anyone will have is actually getting your MH towed to an authorized shop close-by and in a timely manner during an emergency road-side situation. Regardless of what they all cover, allowed towing distances is limited and commercial Ford dealers are few and very spread out...normal Ford car and light truck dealers will not take them in. Lastly, someone has to get out of bed in the middle of the night and come get you. They all depend on 3rd party, independent roadside service providers.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:40 PM   #12

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Not as well known as all the other insurance companies but I found Wawanesa the best rate, they do require a good driving record, I have my home and all my vehicles insurance with them, they would not cover my boat so Allstate was the best I could find on boat insurance
Old 08-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #13

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Progressive
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:00 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Progressive

I chose Progressive because they are the real deal, no surprises.

They cover my boats and motorcycles. I don't know if I am Silver or Platinum with all of the policies for years. I actually get a further discount for being a Good Sam member. So I pay for Good Sam membership to get a significant reduction. It was kind of weird how I came across because initially all the rates were way too high. I bought Geico 1st just because it was the cheapest and I needed proof to buy the RV. When I had more time I got more quotes and Good Sams quoted me progressive but it somehow linked my existing accounts. The rates were great, so my RV is technically through Good Sams but with Progressive.

My actual rate has dropped 75% since I bought brand new 3 1/2 years ago. I had one claim a cracked windshield and it was 100% paid for

The only gotcha on roadside assistance is to know that a replacement tire / wheel is not included. They don't care why or how you are broke down, they tow you for free to nearest dealer they have. Within 15 miles it is where you want to be towed to. You can always pay the difference if you wish some place of your choice beyond 15 miles.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Not as well known as all the other insurance companies but I found Wawanesa the best rate, they do require a good driving record, I have my home and all my vehicles insurance with them, they would not cover my boat so Allstate was the best I could find on boat insurance
When I could get it, loved Wawanesa.. wish I could get it in Nevada. When I had a truck stolen decades ago they took care of me without issue, rental car.. paid out..etc..
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:30 PM   #16

Model: Gemini SX, 2018 MB diesel
State: North Carolina
THOR #19778
Insurance

Quote:
Thank you
Progressive has treated me very well.. in premiums and claims
Old 08-12-2022, 10:20 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
He first year we had our MH, we insured it with State Farm like all our other vehicles. However there was a huge premium increase the second year so we got a Progressive policy through FMCA that was substantially less. Been with them ever since.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:30 AM   #18

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Alabama
THOR #15477
We have the 2018 Ace 30.4. Ours ins w State Farm is nearly $2000. Plus, we have home and cars w them. I may need to get Quotes from others.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:39 AM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mablunk View Post
We have the 2018 Ace 30.4. Ours ins w State Farm is nearly $2000. Plus, we have home and cars w them. I may need to get Quotes from others.
Be sure and try calling Good Sams, they have special relationships and can get you even better discounts with the likes of Progressive because Good Sam is volume Buying Group

By happen chance my renewal just came up and it increased by 20% after two years in a row decreasing, but it is still very good rate compared to what I hear from others ( you included)

Good Sams actually called me because they saw the price increase and tried to requote but everything else they had was more than twice what I am paying now with the increase.

Insurance is hard thing to compare with others because so many factors. I am at Gold with Progressive so if I had a claim, I only pay 25% of the deductible. If I stay claim free I have zero dollar deductible. Odd thing though, I had one claim, it was a windshield 2 years back?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:58 AM   #20

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
We have everything insured through State Farm the house, cars,shop, 4 wheelers, boat and motor home, only had 1 claim for mh when the windshield got broken when parked in a stone parking lot when someone did a doughnut and threw stones, it is the big one piece on a class a, I told our agent I wouldn’t accept any after market windshield because aftermarket ones always leak because they aren’t as thick as original and bill was 5k only cost us our deductible, we also took the extended warranty when we purchased it, I before the extended warranty expired we took it to lazy days Rv in Elkhart and had issue with the engine a/c not working, a level leg was leaking, roof sat dish quit working, front electric blind quit working, the bird wasn’t charging off the engine, all was fixed without any warranty problems so for us the extended warranty did cost more than the repairs but not by much.

Tags
insurance, roadside assistance, service plan