Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
RV makes me feel stupid

I've had this ACE for six months now and am still trying to figure things out. I go out last night to start prepping the RV for the trip to Talladega next week and find the inverter telling me my batteries were at 12.3 volts. I have been plugged in to 50 amp power for a couple weeks, AC turned on to make loading more comfy, Fridge chilling. First assumption, converter/charger must be bad. Check the batteries with meter and verified 12.3 volts. As I'm getting more and more frustrated, I start dragging out my shop battery charger to boost my 50% depleted batteries this morning. I'm not an idiot, I look at the use/store button and it is illuminated. I turn everything off, unplug the 50 amp and put the charger on the batteries. Battery tester/charger says batteries are good and verify 12.3 volts.

I only live about 5 minutes from my local CW so I'm waiting on them at 8 this morning to get the the service manager. I describe my issue to service manager and he says the converter is obviously working because it has to for the AC and fridge. He says are you sure your use/store button is on? Of course I'm sure, I'm not an idiot, the light is definitely on. He then boldly says well you know it illuminates when you plug it in, doesn't mean it's on. I confidently replied, but it must be on because the AC and fridge are running. He then gives me that look and says, that's not true. They will both work when plugged in, but if the switch is off it will bypass the converter charger. What you talking about Willis? Says they will take a look Monday, but requests I go home and unplug, turn the switch on and off, plug back in and verify use/store switch and operations. I skeptically agree and start making plans to drop of Monday for new converter. So you have probably already figured out how this story ends. Whose dumb idea was it to illuminate the switch when it wasn't on just because you are hooked to power. Plugged back in, flipped use/store switch, heard converter/charger come on and inverter is showing 13.2 volts. Ok, maybe I'm an idiot.

(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
No you're not.

The Use/Store switch is a very common topic of conversation around here. We've all been guilty of having it off when it should be on.

Yours is just more of an enigma because of the light that will illuminate either if you're plugged in or if you're in use.

I've found that for things like that on the RV before I ask someone I cycle it a few times to make sure it is doing what I think it is doing
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
We’ve been there and done things we thought made us look idiotic but it’s just a learning trend.

I paid $399 for a Dish Playmaker antennae (waaay too much, I know now) after my tailgater got damaged. 3 days later I used a hose and rinsed leaves and trash off the bottom after a rain. Come to find out the bottom has holes in it and not at all weather proof. Yep, I toasted it. Not covered by warranty. Bought another one just like it (with tripod) from Amazon (free 2 day shipping to campground) for $248. Tripod $71.

Live and learn don’t we?
Old 10-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Yep, that light only indicates there is power on the 12 VDC buss, not the condition of the USE/STORE switch/relay. This has been used mostly in Class Cs but obviously Thor wants to confuse Class A owners as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Don't feel bad about thinking that you're an idiot: you aren't!
The use/Store switch is a puzzle that few folks seem to get on the first try...
Old 10-07-2018, 12:39 AM   #6

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
No you're not.

The Use/Store switch is a very common topic of conversation around here. We've all been guilty of having it off when it should be on.

Yours is just more of an enigma because of the light that will illuminate either if you're plugged in or if you're in use.

I've found that for things like that on the RV before I ask someone I cycle it a few times to make sure it is doing what I think it is doing
With mine not indicating if it's on or off cause it does not lite, I flip it up, turn on a kitchen lite, then flip the switch down and if the lite goes out, it is off.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:47 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Live, learn, laugh! Welcome to our group!
Old 10-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
If this stuff was easy or made sense, there would be no need for this forum. We would all be happy and out camping!
Old 10-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiramarVA View Post
If this stuff was easy or made sense, there would be no need for this forum. We would all be happy and out camping!
...And think how boring that would be!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
RV's just make our life challenging and interesting, by trying to solve all of these issues, we keep our minds and bodies active and will probably ward off oldtimers disease
Old 10-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Make stick-on labels with a label maker for "on" and "off". They must have known I was stupid from the git-go because my switch illuminates when in the "on" position and not when turned off. Maybe Thor listened to someone, somewhere along the line.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip 500 View Post
RV's just make our life challenging and interesting, by trying to solve all of these issues, we keep our minds and bodies active and will probably ward off oldtimers disease
My Missus is still terrified of the convection microwave...
Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Mine used the convection mode and melted the plactic cover for the microwave stuff. But it still tasted Okay - high in fiber. LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #14

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
When we were young..We DID Stewpud Stuff...Now that We are Older (In My Case Much Older) We STILL do Stewpud Stuff...We just do it Slower...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
When we were young..We DID Stewpud Stuff...Now that We are Older (In My Case Much Older) We STILL do Stewpud Stuff...We just do it Slower...
It takes twice as long to do it, but we only regret it for half as long...

We forget faster!
Old 10-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #16

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Make stick-on labels with a label maker for "on" and "off". They must have known I was stupid from the git-go because my switch illuminates when in the "on" position and not when turned off. Maybe Thor listened to someone, somewhere along the line.
Hey! That's what I did long time ago cause most of the writing on the entrance switch does not stand out. Matter of fact, the whatever it is they call it for the panel next to the bedroom doesn't have lettering that stands out either. Got one of those label makers ... and while I was at it I labelled all the storage compartments with what's inside, Example: batterys, bbq stuff, toolbox. Also color coded my keys too, blue for entrance, green for lock, red storage and yellow for the locking compartments. All that means more time for Beer calls.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #17

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Hey! That's what I did long time ago cause most of the writing on the entrance switch does not stand out. Matter of fact, the whatever it is they call it for the panel next to the bedroom doesn't have lettering that stands out either. Got one of those label makers ... and while I was at it I labelled all the storage compartments with what's inside, Example: batterys, bbq stuff, toolbox. Also color coded my keys too, blue for entrance, green for lock, red storage and yellow for the locking compartments. All that means more time for Beer calls.
Yeah, beer calls... Got parked in an RV slot after a long trip, got the auto level set up, the water, sewer, electricity, turned on the A/C, moved the picnic table over, set up the BBQ grill AND I finally listened to that beer that was calling to me inside the RV. So I went up the steps, opened the refer door...... and a jar of pickles fell on the floor and broke open. Had to scoop up the glass & pickles, paper toweled the floor dry but still sticky and after drinking two beers to make sure I got the right one, wet down a beach towel and sqeegeed the floor to get all the sticky pickle juice up. So why don't they make plastic pickle jars like they do the mustard & ketchup bottles?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Always get sweet pickles: it's easy to find a dog or two in the campground, that'll be happy to lick up the mess on the floor!
Old 10-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #19

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Always get sweet pickles: it's easy to find a dog or two in the campground, that'll be happy to lick up the mess on the floor! [emoji38]
I am (now) the Count de 'Gerkin', AKA 'Dill' and curiously enough our Wiener... I mean Dacshund didn't care for the pickle juice on the floor. We mopped the floor twice but it didn't work too well. Now wetting down a beach towel and dragging it across the floor, that worked. Course we had to wash it out then let it dry and shake it outside in case of a tiny glass shard. After all this work, took some more Beers to rehydrate ourselves. Next time we'll take the relish in the plastic bottles.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'll bet you don't "relish" the thought of finding yourself in this "pickle" again...