Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Vermont
THOR #386
adding a fantastic fan

Can this be done outside of the dealership? Are the normal vents prewired for electricity to allow this to be done after the fact? Has anyone done this that can provide some insight into the mechanics of the install?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
9uc

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Former Daybreak Owner
State: Nevada
THOR #360
Quote:
Originally Posted by wogden View Post
Can this be done outside of the dealership? Are the normal vents prewired for electricity to allow this to be done after the fact? Has anyone done this that can provide some insight into the mechanics of the install?
Probably not the answer you want, but I've done three of them myself over the years, but that was only replacing the buzz bomb type fans and were not new installations. I kept my first unit so long that all the dome type plastic vents fell apart due to sun and heat rot and had to replace all the vents and not a one of them had been wired for the addition of an after marked fan. I've not checked the new Thor yet, but none of my other units were prewired. There not that hard to do unless your also have to replace an exterior rain vent covers in the process. If memory serves me, it was about a four to six hour job. Back then I was just slow, now that I know how to do it, it still would take 4 to 6 hours because now I'm slow and old.
9uc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
If you have a vent that is capable of being a 2nd AC position, and you don't have the 2nd AC, I think there is wires there. If you want to put one in the BR in place of that nasty little fan in there, you should be able to install one there also. As far as the other crank up vents, I don't know if there is any wires placed in there when they built it or not. You might place a call to the manufacture and see if they know.