Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2019, 05:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 28 Class C
State: West Virginia
THOR #16602
Satellite

Have 2004 Four Winds mh. Purchasing tailgater by Dish. Want permanent connection for outside to inside. Does the mh already have connection or do I need to install connections? If it has them, where might they be. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
unless your coach came as 'satellite ready', then no, you'll need to run your own coax cables from the Antenna, if mounted on the roof, down into the coach on your own.

There are several places you can do this, and since every coach's design is different you may find something that works best for you is different than others.

Plumbing vents are sometimes used to fish down cables into the coach.
Some might even use the existing OTA Antenna's wiring as a way to enter the coach.

The rest of us probably use either a slide seal, or even a cable hatch in one of the lower bays.

I have three receivers in my coach. The main one is the bedroom, and I have a tailgater2 on a temporary mount near the rear of the coach, right above the bedroom. I run a coax cable from the antenna, wrapped around the air conditioner cowling, and over and down into the top seal of the bedroom slide, near where the receiver sits.
The other receivers are more for use when we are parked for more than several days, and I use a cable hatch entry within the wet bay, and into the coach to the living room, and use a cable hatch entry within the main bay to the outside TV.

There's no 'perfect' way to run these cables, it will be different for almost everyone, but most will admit that you can't simply connect your antenna to the cable entry connection provided by the factory since it is not designed for satellite powered signals.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #3

Model: 28 Class C
State: West Virginia
THOR #16602
Thank you for your input. It will help me decide the route to go.