Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2019, 11:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29 Fe
State: North Carolina
THOR #7532
replaceing outside and inside tv

I need to replace my tv's, the exterior and living room tv , because when I go to a park that have digital signal my tv does not work, have anyone try to replace their tv on there freedom elite class c , I try to replace my outside tv and the holes in the mounting plate does not Line up.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danford50 View Post
I need to replace my tv's, the exterior and living room tv , because when I go to a park that have digital signal my tv does not work, have anyone try to replace their tv on there freedom elite class c , I try to replace my outside tv and the holes in the mounting plate does not Line up.
Trying to understand what you mean. Are you saying when you plug into campground cable you have no T.V. signal? If so 2 things come immediately to mind.

1...do you have input set to cable? If not it won't show the cable signal.

2...have you turned off your antenna booster? If on cable that booster will scramble your cable signal
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
The OP has it right. Those cheep miserable excuses for tv's that Thor used do not have a QRM tuner and can not receive digital cable connections. It's either replace them or squander on a separate external digital tuner for each. At the price today of "Smart TV's" it's better to replace. The only reason I have not done so is I use a roof mounted DISH antenna and seldom use a park cable system.

OP, if the holes do not align with your replacement, get new mounts. They too have become a throw away item as they are very inexpensive.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I have LG TVs, and they linked up to the RV Park's system flawlessly.
I agree: mounts are cheap!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #5

THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
The OP has it right. Those cheep miserable excuses for tv's that Thor used do not have a QRM tuner and can not receive digital cable connections. It's either replace them or squander on a separate external digital tuner for each. At the price today of "Smart TV's" it's better to replace. The only reason I have not done so is I use a roof mounted DISH antenna and seldom use a park cable system.

OP, if the holes do not align with your replacement, get new mounts. They too have become a throw away item as they are very inexpensive.
Then explain how my friends and I all watch digital cable in some resorts where we've stayed. All the TVs in my coach have digital tuners. I can pull in digital OTA and park cable. But the cable signal is scrambled while the antenna booster is energized.

And I was also trying to clarify what he meant. He stated the Tv's don't work.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #6

THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Then explain how my friends and I all watch digital cable in some resorts where we've stayed. All the TVs in my coach have digital tuners. I can pull in digital OTA and park cable. But the cable signal is scrambled while the antenna booster is energized.

And I was also trying to clarify what he meant. He stated the Tv's don't work.
Simple. Thor used SEKI tv's for a while. They do not have the digital tuner to receive signals from in park digital cable systems. Some parks still have analog systems and SEKI's will work with that. As stated, you can make them work if you purchase a digital converter box and interface it to your SEKI tv.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 06-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #7

THOR #11266
I suppose I've fortunate. Seiki and Axxera has always worked like I needed wherever I have been. Sure don't understand the hostility towards these products though. They were included in the package you decided to purchase.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #8

THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
I suppose I've fortunate. Seiki and Axxera has always worked like I needed wherever I have been. Sure don't understand the hostility towards these products though. They were included in the package you decided to purchase.
The hostility is because many of us did not know about the inability of these tv's to tune digital cable systems when we bought the RV's. When they were demonstrated during the pre-buy inspection, they worked fine in the parking lot off the antenna. There was no reason to suspect there was a problem with them on digital cable. That problem is well known now.

Many campgrounds still operate an analog cable system. You are fortunate because you have been lucky in not staying at a campground with only the newer digital cable. Soon many of those systems will be replaced and eventually only digital will prevail.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 06-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It seems like the smart thing to do: be prepared for the current technology...

we never had any luck in getting our Seiki TVs to work on cable in our Outlaw...
Old 06-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #10

Model: Aria 3601
State: North Carolina
THOR #5972
I can tell you one campground that Thor's cheap tv's do not work at and that is Ocean Lakes Campground in Myrtle Beach, SC. We learned the hard way and had to replace all 3 of our tv's with Vizio from Walmart while on vacation. I called Thor and complained and it did no good. They said they were unaware of any problem with the Seiki tv's. Make sure when you replace them, the new ones have a QAM tuner!!! Ocean Lakes is the only one that we have experienced the tv problem with. We visited Anchor Down Campground and the ole cheap tv's worked fine. I just purchased a new motorhome and the first thing I asked was about the tv's.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I will say one good thing about the Seiki TVs: they really did have great picture quality...
Old 06-05-2019, 12:00 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
In the 4 years we've been traveling in our Vegas, we have had cable at dozens of campgrounds, and only 3 had the digital cable that our TV's didn't work. I replaced the Sucky TV in the bedroom only. So, if we want to watch TV in one of those campgrounds, we have to go to bed! (Insert your own joke here!)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:09 AM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #11781
I spent the month of May on the road and my TVs did not work in any campground I stayed at. I had the TV set to cable and the amplifier off and notta channel came in; zip, zilch nothing. I chalked it up to something Thor did wrong because they don't do much right.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:06 AM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #3261
Make sure you look for a smart TV with WIFI connectivity so you can stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Sling, etc. from your phone.

Couple a smart TV up with a smart phone or other device with an unlimited data plan and the ability to use as a hotspot for your TV, and you have an entertainment system that rivals a satellite rig and is ready to go anywhere you can get a good phone connection.

In lieu of a smart TV upgrade, you can install and tether to your network an XBOX One or Playstation as your media center, going into your HDMI splitter that feeds your current TVs (assuming you have a HDMI splitter in your rig that feeds all your TVs the same signal. Mine is an electronic box made by Monoprice). There are inexpensive QAM dongles that work with XBOX if you must have cable, you can run Netflix and the others on the XBOX, and it even plays bluray.

And games, you'll be able play those too.

I swapped out my stock 40" main TV for a Sony 49x900e 4K HDR TV and couldn't be happier about the decision.

When I want to watch Netflix or Hulu or whetever, I simply turn on the TV and switch on the Mobile Hotspot feature on my ancient Galaxy S5 and wait for 5 min to allow them to pair, then use the TV remote to surf the mother-lode of on demand movies and television shows that are accessed through the various Android applications installed on the smart TV.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #15

State: Ontario
THOR #9188
Tv

When I started RVing, I bought a flat screen TV. They were new at the time. A friend of mine, who was both a cabinet maker, and an Engineer for a major TV network told me.
" if you mount your TV on your rig, then every bounce your rig gets, your TV gets. This is not good for modern electronics."

He advised me to fashion a table to put up front by the driving seats, and lie it on the bed when in motion. Our 40 in flat screen is easy to move around.

had the same tuner problem. easy solution- find a decent 24 inLED TV for less than $100 and suffer with it for a short stay. easy to move, you can also use it as an outdoor TV on a fine night.
PS. use quick connects for the antenna cord.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #6899
Not that bothered!

We found the same issue with the cheap Seiki TV's installed in our 31W. I'd never heard of QAM until we spent a month at a site in Virginia that had upgraded to digital. So all I did was connect my laptop to the TV via HDMI and we just binge watched a whole lot of TV shows and movies that we had stored on a portable external drive that we carry with us all the time. As for current news, I just used my personal hotspot once a day. Much less angst and cost than replacing 3 TV's!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:01 AM   #17

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
I have a 2017 AXIS 25.4, I replaced the TV over the entry door with a 32 inch smart TV by JENSEN, its designed to be used in a RV and the best part is it runs on 12 volt DC, I bought the AMAZON Fire Stick and it is powered by a USB cable and plugs into the back of the TV, I grabbed the 12 volt power from the relay that powers the bed above the front seats, you will need a unlimited data plan with your cell phone company and a MIFI box to provide a signal to the Fire Stick, I have 4, 100 watt solar panels on the roof and I never need to run the generator. I got rid of the Axxera stero and replaced it with a Pioneer unit so I can get SIRIUS raido, I replaced the back up camera with a better one and installed a 17 inch monitor on a flip up mount just in front an above the steering wheel, the monitor is also 12 volt DC, the rear view camera in the mirrors are still connected to the in dash stereo.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We need to see some pictures of all of this...
Old 06-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #19

State: Maryland
THOR #15367
I think this is the right place to ask. I wanted to see if I could plug in my google Chrome cast to the t.v. I was able to plug it into a set in our old travel trailer so I know it can work with slightly older tech. The problem is that I haven't figured out how to get the t.v. to move away from the wall at all so that I can access the back. Does it move? Is there a trick to it I haven't figured out yet?
Old 06-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #20

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
car2ner, the back of the TV mount is two pieces and about half way up and about 4 to 5 inches from center to left and right are metal tabs and you need to trip them and then the TV will lift up and away, its a tight fit to get your hand between the TV and the wall, I have tried to post some pictures but not sure they are getting through.