Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 11:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New York
THOR #6597
Sewer hose connections.

My wife and I just purchased, but have not yet taken possession of a 2017 Thor Hurricane 35M. From all of the reading I have done, I see that there are 2 black and 2 grey holding tanks. How do you configure the sewer hoses so that they all go into a single sewer hookup. I presently have a Freedom Elite FE 30 with a single sewer hookup. I use either a 10 or 20 ft. Discharge hose with a 45 elbow which goes directly into the waste line at the camp site. What more will I need to purchase to make all of this work. Thanks for any advise you folks can offer.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:05 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I'd expect they are in pairs - a black and gray together at each of two exit points... In that case extra hose and a 'y' connector to bring them together to a single dump hose...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:19 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I have 2 sewer connections on my Challenger. As gmc stated I use 2 10 foot hoses connected into a Y and then either 10 or 20 foot hose to run from the Y to the sewer hookup. I have 2 grey tanks and a black so I will keep the black valve closed and the grey valves open until it is time to dump the black tank.

You might want to verify the 4 tanks. Usually there will be a grey, black and a combination grey/black on bath and a half units. Maybe someone on the forum that has the same model coach can shed some light on the topic.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I have attached 2 pictures of a 2 outlet sewer hookup. The first is one I found on the internet while I was trying to decide how to handle the situation on my Hurricane 35M. I decided to go with the Sewer Solution system (since I have successfully used it on a single outlet system for a number of years). There was no provision for a 2 outlet Sewer Solution, so I made my own valve out of plumbing parts. I have used it now for 7 months and many trips, and it works out great and takes up much less storage room than with 3" sewer hoses, adapters, etc.

As an aside, I have the same model and year as the one you're buying. Just know that the 1/2 bath sink is tied into the black tank for the toilet, so if you run the 1/2 bath sink constantly, that black tank fills up quickly. Other than that (and a few warranty issues that were quickly resolved), I really, really like the coach!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 sewer hookup.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	6153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Solution 2 outlet setup.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	6154  

Old 08-02-2017, 01:38 AM   #5

THOR #6597
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
I have attached 2 pictures of a 2 outlet sewer hookup. The first is one I found on the internet while I was trying to decide how to handle the situation on my Hurricane 35M. I decided to go with the Sewer Solution system (since I have successfully used it on a single outlet system for a number of years). There was no provision for a 2 outlet Sewer Solution, so I made my own valve out of plumbing parts. I have used it now for 7 months and many trips, and it works out great and takes up much less storage room than with 3" sewer hoses, adapters, etc.

As an aside, I have the same model and year as the one you're buying. Just know that the 1/2 bath sink is tied into the black tank for the toilet, so if you run the 1/2 bath sink constantly, that black tank fills up quickly. Other than that (and a few warranty issues that were quickly resolved), I really, really like the coach!

Thanks for the info. If nothing else, I need to keep the toilets running smoothly. We pick up next Wednesday and head out for 2 weeks of camping on Friday. I have a lot to learn in 2 days.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
...You might want to verify the 4 tanks. Usually there will be a grey, black and a combination grey/black on bath and a half units. Maybe someone on the forum that has the same model coach can shed some light on the topic.
Yes, there are 4 tanks on the Hurricane 35M.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmandart View Post
Thanks for the info. If nothing else, I need to keep the toilets running smoothly. We pick up next Wednesday and head out for 2 weeks of camping on Friday. I have a lot to learn in 2 days.
Bet you will learn it real quick when you hook up. I am new to motor homes but if I had 100 things to learn I learned 80 of them at the first hook up. Still learning however.

My last fifth wheel had bath and a half. One black, one gray and one galley tank up front and a gray/black in the rear. I never hooked up two hoses. I always keep all tanks closed and only dump when necessary. That way I always had gray water to clean hose. It was easier for me to just move the hose occasionally. When ready to hit the road I always dumped the rear tank first then the front in black first order.

Enjoy the new MH
Old 08-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #8

THOR #6597
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Bet you will learn it real quick when you hook up. I am new to motor homes but if I had 100 things to learn I learned 80 of them at the first hook up. Still learning however.

My last fifth wheel had bath and a half. One black, one gray and one galley tank up front and a gray/black in the rear. I never hooked up two hoses. I always keep all tanks closed and only dump when necessary. That way I always had gray water to clean hose. It was easier for me to just move the hose occasionally. When ready to hit the road I always dumped the rear tank first then the front in black first order.

Enjoy the new MH

Thanks for the advice and happy camping to ya.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:45 AM   #9

State: California
THOR #8547
congrats on the purchase we picked our 2018 hurricane 35m today and I had the same question glad I came on the forum because I spaced and just bought one sewer set up until my walk through I was like dang I forgot I would need two.. FYI check your front cab air conditioner mine didn't work have to take it to ford dealer tomorrow to get it repaired under warranty.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
We have a 35C also with a bath and a half and just dump tanks as we need, we generally only do one set at a time. The mid tanks get filled quicker than the rear and the black tank needs flushing more frequently since it extends the width of the coach. We have a Y sewer connector but have learned it isn't necessary.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
One of those 'it depends' answers - like many things here...

If I were doing mainly short stays - dumping once, maybe twice - I think I would opt for one set of hoses...
For long stays - months - I think that would grow old quickly and I would want the 'Y' and just have to open/close valves to dump/flush.
In between - have to figure out where the 'tipping point' is... lol

No right/wrong answer - just what works for you and the way you will be using your RV.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
I believe it would also depend on what fixtures are plumbed into which tanks. I had multiple tanks on my prior class c but only the outdoor sink was plumbed into the second gray tank. There one hose worked fine. On the Challenger with multiple gray tanks I have the kitchen and bathroom sinks plumbed into one and the shower and outdoor sink plumbed into the other. Since the shower and kitchen sinks are high use items I find it easier to take the extra 5 minutes to Y the hose.

One question I haven't seen asked or answered is with 4 tanks, how many dump stations (hose connections) are there on the coach; 2 or more?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:06 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
We have a 35C also with a bath and a half and just dump tanks as we need, we generally only do one set at a time. The mid tanks get filled quicker than the rear and the black tank needs flushing more frequently since it extends the width of the coach. We have a Y sewer connector but have learned it isn't necessary.
I have the 35C as well, four tanks, since we are parked most of the time I like keeping Grey's open so I use two hoses with a Y straight to drain, but I carry and use extra hose sometimes when traveling depending on were drain is one needs an extension or I extend off the Y. I'm going to test my tanks this weekend my guess is the mid black has one of the sinks tied in since it won't last a week with moderate use but the back black will go for a couple weeks.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Texas
THOR #8449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
What he said.....