Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sprinter
State: Louisiana
THOR #686
Towing a vehicle

I have a 2014 Thor Siesta Sprinter and am considering towing a 2 door jeep. My manual says it has a 5000 lb tow capacity. Jeep weight is 4900 and whatever the tow bar adds puts me at the limit. Need some info from those of you who have towed.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
That seems pretty heavy for a Jeep. Have you had it on the scales?
I towed a Jeep Wrangler with a 19ft. Tioga Walkabout. I can honestly say I couldn't hardly tell it was back there.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Two door Wranglers should be around 3,700lbs. Other models of course (Cherokee, etc) will be more.

One issue that I struggle with is I like to be a bit conservative on towing limits, especially when towing over mountains, etc.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:45 AM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #934
towing

What tow bar are you using? I am looking at towing a jeep also.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:49 PM   #5

Model: Sprinter
State: Louisiana
THOR #686
Not sure?.....got a call in to my dealer to ask him for suggestions???....anyone want to chime on -- what is easiest and most reliable type tow bar to tow a small 2 dr Jeep behind a 25 ' Sprinter motorhome
Old 08-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #6

THOR #934
Towing

I looked at a lot of tow bars and tow dollies. I went with the Acme tow dolly directly from the company. The reason I went this way was the braking system. I didn't want to cut the front bumper cover either. If I could have installed (or wanted to) the price would have been about the same, but my dealer wanted an extra 800 to install the flat tow bar. I can set up the tow dolly myself, without a lot of trouble. At the park, the tow dolly can fit under the camper or it stores standing up, not a real issue as the sprinter is only 25 feet long. I can also use it for other autos also. My choice, good luck Frank
Old 08-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26A
THOR #981
I have a 2014 26' Four Winds 26A with 5000 lbs tow capacity too. I bought the lighter weight Demco Dominator so I don't break my back if I need to remove it. Plus the light weight tow arms are so easy to maneuver when connecting to the car. I tow my manual transmission Fiat 500 Pop on all 4 down. Its so light, I don't even know its there. Absolutely nothing to do, just put in neutral, brake off - steering wheel never locks so no key even required. Due to its low weight, auxiliary brake system not required in most states. With the no key option, no chance I will leave the car AC on when towing and arriving with dead battery.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #8

Model: Venetian
State: California
THOR #917
You need the curb weight of your Jeep, not the GVWR. Curb weight or Unladen mass is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g., motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo. I am pulling a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door.) Curb weight is around 4200 lbs. I have a 5000 lb hitch and use a Blue Ox tow bar that I picked up from Craigslist. It is awesome. The arms of the tow bar move in and out and lock into place when you pull forward making hook-up very easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane w Jeep 2.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	107  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #9

THOR #934
Just got my tow dolly and even after I asked the Jeep dealer if it would work (he replied yes), I found out that jeep manual says only tow flat or on a trailer. I have the tow dolly up for sale (at a loss, still in shipping crate). Went with a Blue ox tow bar and brake system (cost twice as much). I hope this works, and no matter how much you look into something you can still get it wrong. Will update on how the flat tow bar works after the next trip.