Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2022, 12:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #26840
"shorting plug" for stationary regen, what's it look like? 2014 Tuscany

I have a 2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX with 8.9L cummins. I get my flashing "exhaust filter full" light every time we stop. Need to do a parked stationary regen. The operating manual says it has a white cover with red lock under left of steering wheel. I can't find anything resembling it. Does anyone have a picture of what it actually looks like?

Old 09-05-2022, 08:50 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
It’s mounted on the bottom of the steering column, directly under the round 9 pin connector
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD9C7266-1EA5-4DC0-8E55-3DAB0811B0C8.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	39348  
Old 09-05-2022, 08:54 PM   #3

THOR #12726
When you do the parked regen, make sure your tail pipe isn’t over anything flammable like grass or blacktop the exhaust will be around 1200 degrees and probably smoke and stink to high heaven, also make sure you have at least a 1/4 tank of fuel and up to an 1 1/2 hours time
Old 09-05-2022, 08:59 PM   #4

THOR #12726
I know I already answered your question, but it just occurred to me that the dpf light won’t only come on when you stop, but the hest ( high exhaust system temperature) light will because it was probably doing a passive regen while your driving and when you stop the heat builds up in the dpf .
Google a pic of dpf light and hest light they look very similar.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:06 PM   #5

THOR #26840
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
It’s mounted on the bottom of the steering column, directly under the round 9 pin connector
Yes, mine was in the same spot. I had some issues getting it to regen, everytime I drove it game me the regen warning. Turns out the DEF fluid from previous owner was old, I ended up pumping it out and replacing the DEF FILTER, yes there is a filter build into the bottom of tank/pump, and refilling it with Adblue DEF Platinum. Since that I havn't had any more issues, now 3000 miles and still going
Old 11-15-2022, 02:29 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikego74 View Post
Yes, mine was in the same spot. I had some issues getting it to regen, everytime I drove it game me the regen warning. Turns out the DEF fluid from previous owner was old, I ended up pumping it out and replacing the DEF FILTER, yes there is a filter build into the bottom of tank/pump, and refilling it with Adblue DEF Platinum. Since that I havn't had any more issues, now 3000 miles and still going
You really had two different issues

Glad you have it resolved for now
Old 11-16-2022, 01:25 AM   #7

THOR #12726
Def fluid (scr) and the dpf are two different systems, and all I do the last 5 yrs is the after treatment systems ( Cummins and Detroit factory trained) while a plugged def filter will set a active fault code for nox conversion and keep a regen from running I haven’t ever come across a issue from old def, while I know they have an expiration date in my job vehicles don’t sit that long, and ideally the def filters should be changed every year or so depending on miles, the dpf filters also have a end of life time as well and is usually about 200k miles there again depending on usage and base engine health.
Glad you were able to fix it yourself as dealers generally charge about 110.00 an hr for Rv work.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:35 AM   #8

THOR #26840
Quote:
Def fluid (scr) and the dpf are two different systems, and all I do the last 5 yrs is the after treatment systems ( Cummins and Detroit factory trained) while a plugged def filter will set a active fault code for nox conversion and keep a regen from running I haven’t ever come across a issue from old def, while I know they have an expiration date in my job vehicles don’t sit that long, and ideally the def filters should be changed every year or so depending on miles, the dpf filters also have a end of life time as well and is usually about 200k miles there again depending on usage and base engine health.
Glad you were able to fix it yourself as dealers generally charge about 110.00 an hr for Rv work.
Yeah, Rig had sat for almost 3 years, not sure how old the DEF was from here. I did like 5 manual regens and every time I drove another 200 miles it came back on. After draining tank and filter I havn't had any more issues. When I drained it you couldn't even smell it, it was almost like a brown tint.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:21 PM   #9

THOR #12726
Wow that’s not good, just wonder if it was actually def fluid, you can buy a def refractor on Amazon for like 22.00 and can test the urea concentration yourself to check the def before you pour it in, def has to be a minimum of 32.5% urea or you will end up with problems.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:23 PM   #10

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Wow that’s not good, just wonder if it was actually def fluid, you can buy a def refractor on Amazon for like 22.00 and can test the urea concentration yourself to check the def before you pour it in, def has to be a minimum of 32.5% urea or you will end up with problems.
DEF doesn't change unless it is opened to the atmosphere and either evaporates and concentrates or gets contaminated

so, he has two completely different issues noted