Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Challenger question

Hello all my wife and I looked at 16 Challenger 37KT. We loved the layout.

Question anything I need to know?

Can/will the 2 13.5 AC keep a large RV like this cool in hot summer days?

Will the 5.5k generator run both AC and Fridge? Worried about start up issues.

How well with the TPO roof hold up over time?

How is this coach drive while towing a car, 3k in weight? I have a Falcon All Terrain tow bar.

Any issues with the Slides?

Thanks KC

Old 08-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I have a 2015 37ND.

No issues with the AC. They have kept the coach cool enough for my wife and I.

No issues with pulling a car. I use a dolly and tow a Ford Fusion. The only issue I had with drivability is in a high wind crossing high bridges going into and out of Charleston SC. Any motorhome would have been blown around in those conditions so I do not fault the coach.

No issues with the 5.5 KW generator running everything in the coach at one time.

One slide issue on my shakedown cruise when a wire came unplugged from a motor because Thor forgot to install a bulb seal which serves as a wire chase. Thor authorized a mobile tech and I was up and running again the following morning. Thor sent me the seal and I installed it myself.

Overall I we are pleased with our coach with one exception; lack of use. We need to get out more.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We got the Challenger 37TB and love it. We just got back from an 8500 mile cross country trip. Had a problem with the drivers window but drove on. Stayed in Mohave Valley, AZ with a 110 degree temp. Had to pay attention to how long grandkids had the doors open but we were very comfortable at about 75 degrees with moving air.

The rule of thumb is 20-25 degrees difference between inside and outside. Paying attention to facing your coach away from the sun helps.

In our first 4 months we have put 10,500 on our coach, pulling our 2013 Ford Explorer the whole way - including mountains of Wyoming. Absolutely no problems with power. I did the CHF and that helped with most of the not seen cross winds.

No problems with the roof and as I remember it comes with a 10 year warranty.

The 5.5KW generator runs everything without issue. With 3 grandkids, TVs and AC were run a lot while driving. The TV and DVD run off the 12V so unless the AC needs to be on, don't have to the run the generator. We will be visiting family in Florida and will be out of coach while it is parked. The AutoGen feature is perfect for this - starts the generator up, charges the battery and shuts off.

One of the best features with Thor - they actually have people to call if you need help with something going wrong. Coming from Forest River, this is a nice change. People, really experienced people.

So yep, we really enjoy our Challenger and would do it again.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:16 AM   #4

THOR #2628
What is the CHF, and thanks for posting!!
Old 08-10-2015, 12:20 AM   #5

THOR #1020
It is the "Cheap Handling Fix". No big deal to do but a big deal in helping cross winds. Lots of posts about it but here is one with pics Cheap Handling Fix - Page 76 - iRV2 Forums.

Dollar for dollar - our Challenger 37TB is the best deal on the market. IMO.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
We have a 2015 Challenger 35HT we purchased in April. So far the two ACs have been able to keep the coach cool without any problem. If at a site with only 30 amp connection you can only run one AC at a time, but even with the temp in the mid 80s we were still comfortable. The Generator is able to run everything in the coach, including both ACs.

Can't answer to roof hold up over time as we have only had the coach a few months. But like previously mentioned, it has a 10 year warranty.

We flat tow a Jeep Wrangler, and honestly when we are going down the road I can't even tell its' back there. I even keep the rear view camera on so that I can actually see that it is still there. LOL I haven't really noticed much difference in gas mileage when towing either.

We haven't had any issues with slides so far, but if you read through the forums it seems that allot of people have had problems with them.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #7

THOR #1020
KCook - seems like lots of old soldiers/marines are responding to you. I guess we just didn't get enough moving around while serving :-)

Forgot to speak to the slide issue. I had the infamous "rattle" behind the driver in the dining room slide. I have a great service manager (Jake at Paul Sherry's) and he was able find it and fix it. It never did bother the operation but it was a bit annoying.

Hope all this helps.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #8

THOR #2628
Yes it does!!
Old 08-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #9

THOR #1020
Recommendation: before you buy the Challenger. Test drive on a bit of an uneven surface and listen for a rattle noise in the slides. If you have it, more than likely it is an issue with nylon mounts on the slide seals/motor mount.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #10

THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Recommendation: before you buy the Challenger. Test drive on a bit of an uneven surface and listen for a rattle noise in the slides. If you have it, more than likely it is an issue with nylon mounts on the slide seals/motor mount.
My current 11 year old Class A squeaks at two of my front slides

KC
Old 08-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
KCook - seems like lots of old soldiers/marines are responding to you. I guess we just didn't get enough moving around while serving :-)...
Or, maybe, we moved around so much while serving that we don't know how to settle down.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #12

THOR #1020
Whatever the case we still enjoy it :-)