Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Maybe an Outlaw GP
State: Arkansas
THOR #8339
Sleeping in the loft or over bunk on an Outlaw

I am most interested in the Outlaw GP. The new MB was not as spacious as I hoped. Wish they had done opposing slides. The RB is better but the GP with the double opposing slides has awesome living space. I eat on my couch mostly so a fixed dinette is not a priority. The double porches are awesome.

The sky loft does not look comfortable to me and my dogs ( big dogs) will never climb that little stairway. Anyone have experience sleeping up there? I am curious if it is comfortable.

The drop down cab bunk looks like my most likely sleep spot. If I don’t like the mattress I can upgrade it. It is out of my way and my bed is gone in the morning. Again not sure how comfortable it is to sleep in. It is too bad the bunk does not lower to the floor like in the MB garage. That would solve my dog problem.

Thoughts. This is my only concern about the unit. Where do I sleep? Will it be comfortable?

By the way I ride a Can Am Spyder so the garage probably will not work for sleeping.

This is also my first RV purchase so these questions may seem noob because they are. Lol

Old 10-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Figuring out where to sleep is tough when you're all growed-up.
As a kid: you slept where they told you to!
The Miius & I sleep on the fold out sofa in our 29-H
Which Spder do you have?
Old 10-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
A fellow Spyder ryder, welcome!
Old 10-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #4

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
I am most interested in the Outlaw GP. The new MB was not as spacious as I hoped. Wish they had done opposing slides. The RB is better but the GP with the double opposing slides has awesome living space. I eat on my couch mostly so a fixed dinette is not a priority. The double porches are awesome.

The sky loft does not look comfortable to me and my dogs ( big dogs) will never climb that little stairway. Anyone have experience sleeping up there? I am curious if it is comfortable.

The drop down cab bunk looks like my most likely sleep spot. If I don’t like the mattress I can upgrade it. It is out of my way and my bed is gone in the morning. Again not sure how comfortable it is to sleep in. It is too bad the bunk does not lower to the floor like in the MB garage. That would solve my dog problem.

Thoughts. This is my only concern about the unit. Where do I sleep? Will it be comfortable?

By the way I ride a Can Am Spyder so the garage probably will not work for sleeping.

This is also my first RV purchase so these questions may seem noob because they are. Lol

Think this through very carefully. For many of us, The "where do I sleep" question is not to be laughed at or minimized. I have a Class C Toy hauler. I bought it for the garage space, so that space can't be used for sleeping. So, after only one year, I am probably selling it because I underestimated the importance "to me" after a long, active day of having a dedicated bed.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #5

THOR #8339
Hi Bob. I recognize you from the Spyderlovers forum. I have a 2009 GS. Shadow black.

And believe me I recognize that a good nights rest is imperative. Has anyone slept in the cab bunk? It seems like it has to be as comfortable as anything but a free standing bed. Not sure about places to plug in the phone and such. I know the Skyloft has some power ports.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The bunk over the cab is pretty handy...
For putting stuff: not for sleeping!
We couldn't imagine coming down that ladder in the middle of the night: about three times each!
Old 10-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yes! Once my brain got in gear today; your screen name is wringing some feels! Welcome aboard!
Old 10-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Deleted
Old 10-08-2018, 01:57 AM   #9

THOR #8339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The bunk over the cab is pretty handy...
For putting stuff: not for sleeping!
We couldn't imagine coming down that ladder in the middle of the night: about three times each!
I think I can handle the ladder. It’s better than making up the sofa. On the Outlaw GP it is not a sofa bed but just a sofa that you have to pad and sheet and makeup up each evening and then put away each morning if you want a couch.

Have you ever climbed up there and tried it?
Old 10-08-2018, 03:19 AM   #10

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
bunk

Actually the ladder is a great place to hang your urinals. It will hold at least a dozen if you need them. See Thor thought of everything.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #11

THOR #8339
So has anyone slept in the drop down bunk?
Old 10-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #12

Model: Outlaw 3611
State: California
THOR #576
Back to the original question. The Mrs and I sleep 100% in the loft of our Outlaw 3611.

*No, we cannot sit-up fully in bed (can sit-up with head tilted), just exit/enter on knees. Our dogs don't climb the loft stairs, plus we don't invite the dogs into bed a the studs and stucco house.
*The loft is always a quiet and clean space with no traffic to/from the bath or garage.
*And, no we wouldn't want to sit in bed, so it is no problem for us.
*We swapped the OEM queen futon mattress for a memory foam CalKing - and love it!

This is possibly the #1 reason the 3611/37LS model ended and was replaced by the MD, then the RB, and then came the GP...new buyers couldn't see sleeping in the loft. But we see the dedicated bedroom as just a HUGE waste of valuable floorspace.

Since all Outlaws currently have a dedicated bedroom, it is only academic.
*If you want the largest living room, the new MB is the ticket.
*If you want the very cool dual patio decks (spend lots of time at camp outside), pick the GP.
*If you want the basics (garage, loft, and bedroom) get the RB.

If buying used, the 3611/37LS is plentyful in the market. So that is still very available.
And, if the dedicated mid-room was a desire for us, we would find a used 37MD because that model has a sleeper sofa in a larger slide (top to bottom). That makes the mid-room a dual purpose spaces for bedroom and den for watching TV away from the conversations that are inevitable in the kitchen/dining space.

Best luck
Old 10-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #13

THOR #8339
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I decided on the GP. Actually it has a bigger living space than the MB that was somewhat disappointing. The opposing slides in the GP make almost dance floor space. I have already looked at alternative mattresses for the bunk once I try it out. I have a possible plan for a ramp to get dogs up there too. :>)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #14

THOR #576
Congrats on picking YOUR Outlaw GP!
We can see how the living room can be wide open with opposing slides.
Love the dual exterior decks.
And, no wasted space with no mid-room is best for us too

Did you get the new for 2019 "three season patio doors" on the back ramp/deck?

Are you thinking to mainly sleep in the front drop-down bunk or loft (skybunk)?
The front bunk stops at the top of the captains chairs right?

Either way, you can experiment when you get it home.

Safe Outlaw Travels
Old 10-15-2018, 09:00 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
I wonder if the loft would get too hot to sleep in - even with the AC on??

I would think the loft and the drop down beds are more for the kids/grand kids and Teens - 20's demographic. So that might be high on your priorities.

Personal me and my wife would like to have a regular bed at a normal height. That would be how I determined the floor plan for my family.

But I do like the idea of the loft.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #16

THOR #576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I wonder if the loft would get too hot to sleep in - even with the AC on??

I would think the loft and the drop down beds are more for the kids/grand kids and Teens - 20's demographic. So that might be high on your priorities.

Personal me and my wife would like to have a regular bed at a normal height. That would be how I determined the floor plan for my family.

But I do like the idea of the loft.
Have heard that "regular bed" thing so many times.

No, the loft does not get too hot. And, no not only for little kids (but kids do love it).

The ducted AirCon keeps up well, especially with the 2 duct outlets just 32" above you.
If not running the AirCon, the roof vent can let any too-warm air out. And crossbreeze is provided with the side windows at your head and feet.
In the winter, hot air naturally rises up the angled ceiling making the loft the focus of the very little furnace needed.

We love the loft and are very glad our floor plan does not have a dedicated bedroom...just a huge waste of space. That's gives just that much more room in the livingroom, galley, bath, and garage.

And, on more than one occasion, the garage has been used as a spare bedroom - first with removable trundle beds and later with a Murphybed
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	13510

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	13512
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 PM   #17

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Good to know, Wow - I love that murphy bed setup. Sweet! Did you have to order and install that yourself? Never seen one like that from factory (in the Garage area that is).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Doc,
Congratulations; you're gonna love it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #19

THOR #576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Good to know, Wow - I love that murphy bed setup. Sweet! Did you have to order and install that yourself? Never seen one like that from factory (in the Garage area that is).
Our Murphy Bed came from a donor Outlaw 3612 so it matches the factory cabinetry. A 3612 was factory set-up 3611 with that bed. The second owner of that Outlaw did not want the bed, and did need the little bit of extra room in the garage.

I disassembled it, reinforced it and moved it to our 3611. Ours did not have the factory benches or drop-down rear bed. I mounted the Murphy Bed so it comes out in 4 easy to move pieces.

I believe a Murphy Bed can be added to any Outlaw garage (DIY or pro-mod) and I believe TMC has one in the main bedroom of the new Outlaw 29S (Class C)!
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/outla...loor-plans/29S

It is very nice option to have.

Safe travels
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:33 PM   #20

THOR #8339
WOW. The Murphy bed is an amazing idea and I have often wondered why they are not standard in all dedicated bedroom RVs.

I will have to look into that. I also am thinking of modifying the drop down to be a bit wider and maybe drop down further. Just need to get the front seats to recline and then do a mod.

I actually am removing the jack knife couch and putting up a wardrobe and storage. The GP has very little especially since I am adding a washer and dryer (got a super deal on one).

Let the adventure begin. Appreciate all the input and Scarab I will be chatting with you about your Murphy bed in the future for sure.