Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2022, 01:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: Virginia
THOR #25276
Storage plugged In

We have a small airplane hangar that we keep our coach within. I normally just plug the unit with 120v into the power outlet and leave the refrigerators on and this also keeps the battery charger going.

Every few weeks I try to remember to go by the hangar and run the engine and Genny for ten mins or so (hangar door open so I don’t die lol).

Any issues with this protocol?

'21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sky One Touch, 3.6L, 2.5” lift, Demco Brakes, Blue Ox A2.
Rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclbud View Post
We have a small airplane hangar that we keep our coach within. I normally just plug the unit with 120v into the power outlet and leave the refrigerators on and this also keeps the battery charger going.

Every few weeks I try to remember to go by the hangar and run the engine and Genny for ten mins or so (hangar door open so I don’t die lol).

Run the gen for ten minutes and It’ll be garbage in no time. Minimum 60 mins at 75 percent load once a month.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:58 AM   #3

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Besides running the Gen longer leaving it plugged in all the time isn’t a problem. If you have the ability to drive it once a month that is always as well.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:40 AM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
If your batteries are flood type make sure to check water level every 2-3 weeks. I use Flow-Rite for my house batteries. Take less than a minute to fill all 4.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Virginia
THOR #25276
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Run the gen for ten minutes and It’ll be garbage in no time. Minimum 60 mins at 75 percent load once a month.
Will do as you suggested. thx!
'21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Sky One Touch, 3.6L, 2.5” lift, Demco Brakes, Blue Ox A2.
Rclbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:16 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I keep mine plugged in 24/7 and have since it was new. As mentioned, you must check battery levels monthly and run generator under a load (A/C's work well) and treat floor space for critters. I replaced batteries after 3 years. So far...zero issues and she's always ready for "cocktails in the camper". I did try storing it in a lot unplugged when we moved to PCB and the batteries in chassis and coach died...even though I went by regularly and check on them. Way too many parasitic draws on the batteries.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:48 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Ours is plugged in 24/7 also. In winter we run the Onan for an hour or so monthly with a portable electric heater on. In summer with the A/C.
We also use the Flow Rite system to keep the FLA batteries filled.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:01 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Rather than plugging in to the 50amp I use a high-end trickle charger if storing more than a month.

Batteries hold up fine for a couple months or longer for me so the only long term is usually from Jan-March and then the 4 amp trickle charger.

The trickle charger is relatively cheap and works for me.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:14 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: Illinois
THOR #20269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclbud View Post

This happened to me - Had my rig in storage on 120v for trickle charge. Idiot next to my rig tripped the GFI and power was out for long enough to completely drain my brand new AGM batteries - on two occasions over a 3 month period. I ended up purchasing a cellular alert system (MarCell - Google it) that alerts me when power is out or high/low temps are exceeded. Now, I won't be caught with dead batteries (and potentially ruined) and can also feel comfortable for short trips away while camping leaving the dog in the rig. The batteries were $500 for the pair. MarCell was just under $200 plus about $100/year for the cellular service. In the end, multi-use and good insurance.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:31 PM   #10

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Where is your small airplane?
Old 05-18-2022, 08:14 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
At home, I have a electric plug and water spigot just for my RV. If my RV is not on a trip it is plugged in and set up for use. Outside of having to add water to the batteries when I had FLA batteries, I have had no problems. As to the generator, I feel it gets plenty of use when the rig is on the road so I barely run it when parked at home. The one in my old RV lasted 15 years that way, this one should as well.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote