Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
jim

Brand: Dutchmen
State: England
THOR #1737
Slideout switch dead

Hi I'm Jim, from England, we own 2009 Four Winds Dutchman 25c. The slide was working a few hours ago when we bought it in. Now on a new site and it wont extend.

we are level
in park
park brake on
key in aux position
good batteries

Nothing happens when we operate the switch. Checked all fuses on the panel, all OK but none indicate that they are for the slide. Looked everywhere for another fuse but cannot even find the slide motor.

The slide comprises a dinette a fridge and a wardrobe, looked in all of those and under the slide but can find nothing. Can anyone help me find this fuse or breaker? Cheers

Old 03-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
You may have a pre-Schwintek slide system, so I am not sure how much I can help.

With the Schwintek system, there is a control panel somewhere that provides error codes if the system isn't working.

If your system is pre-Schwintek, I would still expect some kind of control panel.

The photo is for a Schwintek control panel, but you may have something similar.

And it could be located anywhere. The panel for my Schwintek system is located inside one of the outside storage bins, so open each of those and look inside.

And if you have a Schwintek system, the slide motors are built into the slide itself, hidden from view.

You can easily tell if you have a Schwintek system by looking at the slide out (of course, it must be out to do so), but perhaps you can go by memory. There should be an aluminum rack, top and bottom of each side of the slide out.

They look like this:

The main fuse for my system is located in the fuse panel, labeled Slide MTR PWR.

Again, this might not be the same for your coach, although I mention it as it might be similar.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
It requires the ignition key to be in Aux? I have not heard of that before. I have not tried it on this motorhome but the previous one we had if the ignition was on the slide would not operate.
Sounds like an interlock somewhere keeping it from going out.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

THOR #1620
I just checked the manual for my thor and it says specifically to be sure ignition is in off position.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Same here: Our slide will not extend if the key is on in any position.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #6
jim

Brand: Dutchmen
State: England
THOR #1737
Thanks for your responses. It turned out to be a faulty emergency start switch, presumably fooling the slide into thinking the ignition was on.

Meanwhile I've still not found the slide motor/controller, so I'll do that now so I know where it is should it fail in the future. Thanks again
Old 03-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Thanks for your responses. It turned out to be a faulty emergency start switch, presumably fooling the slide into thinking the ignition was on.

Meanwhile I've still not found the slide motor/controller, so I'll do that now so I know where it is should it fail in the future. Thanks again
Glad you got it figured out Jim! Enjoy
Old 09-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I took my Thor Palazzo to an upholstery shop to replace the peeling leatherette chairs and couch (known headache with 2014-2015 RVs). When I arrived and attempted to extend the left side slide, no power to the motors. Tried the rear/right slide, same issue - no power. The ignition was off, jacks down, plugged in to shore power, in use, not store, all all 12V electrical systems working fine. I initially could not find the slide fuse but called Thor help line when I got home, They said the fuse is under the bed, and one fuse controls both slides. Now thinking ahead when I pick up the RV, if that fuse it intact, where do I look next? Must be a problem with the safety interlock since both slides are affected. Does anyone know how/what signals the slide circuit to not activate if the ignition is on? Thanks
Old 09-26-2020, 12:14 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don’t have your model. Or even a Thor...but I seem to recall that maybe it’s not enough for the ignition to be off. Perhaps the key has to be actually removed? Just an thought.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:33 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Any chance your house battery is weak?

My slides require that the engine be shut off. I had a bad house battery, and the slides would not operate until I started the engine, giving me enough power to start the generator. Shut off the engine, and the slides finally cooperated. House battery replaced the next day.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #11

THOR #8078
Thanks for the above suggestions. The house batteries checked out at 12.5v and connecting to shore power did not help. We did try to remove the key even though never a problem in the past and still had no power.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #12

THOR #8078
Update. I went back and found the fuse box under the rear bed. THere's a 30 amp fuse that controls both slide motors. It visually looked Ok but I replaced the fuse and the slide now works normally.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:44 PM   #13

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Good practice to always check fuse with meter. Don't ask me how I know (more than once) . Lol. Glad you found the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
Update. I went back and found the fuse box under the rear bed. THere's a 30 amp fuse that controls both slide motors. It visually looked Ok but I replaced the fuse and the slide now works normally.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #14

State: Arizona
THOR #19761
Mine is a newer unit but the key has to be in the off position for the slides to work.