Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #12820
Solar panels for battery charging

We just purchased a 2019 Thor Quantum PD31 Class C. It came prewired for solar with connections on the roof. I want to use solar power to keep the house and chassis batteries charged while not being used.
I want to know if a 100 watt solar panel plugged into the existing connectors will keep all three batteries charged. I called Thor and they were not much help.
It has a Gopower controller built in.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well congratulations. Nice rig. Post some pic if you can.

Look up the model # of your GO Power controller (should be written on the face plate. Im thinking that most of the factory installed solar controllers are limited to 10 amps? SO 100 watt (maybe 150) will be as large as you can go with the current controller??

100 watt should be enough to keep all 3 charged while in storage but if you boondock much you might want more. Not sure on what size batteres you have but most of the OEM are only rated around 80 amp hour each on the coach. So 100 watt would be sufficient for OEM but if you upgrade batteries later you might need more.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #3

State: Missouri
THOR #12820
Thank you. That is some of the most concise information I've received yet.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
You can probably add more panels; as your needs change.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Typically solar wiring goes straight to the house batteries and not to the chassis battery (used for the engine, etc.) Therefore unless the solar wiring is set up to also charge the chassis battery it isn't likely.

With that said, I don't think we have enough information without pictures to know what you have and where the wires terminate.

100 watts is good for keeping the batteries topped off in storage but will not charge your batteries for everyday usage. Your batteries will need some help from the generator (which you need for AC at minimum and maybe the microwave.) We have 400W of solar panels and they still don't always keep the batteries charged, but we also have a lot of electronics and a residential fridge so we use a lot of energy. Once you know what your energy budget is, you can size your solar array accordingly.

Best of luck, there are a lot of solar users here with experience.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Typically solar wiring goes straight to the house batteries and not to the chassis battery (used for the engine, etc.) Therefore unless the solar wiring is set up to also charge the chassis battery it isn't likely.
It wouldn't be all that tough to add a small panel that is dedicated to the chassis battery anyway.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
I use 2 - 100 watt panels to maintain the cranking and two 105 Ah house batteries. Once the house batteries go above 13.1 volts the B.I.R.D will close the Trombetta relay and allow charging the cranking battery at the same time. For dry camping I have 300 watts of solar in a portable setup.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Thor pre-installed solar specs

Our Thor Palazzo also came with the 100w solar. It has a GoPower 30amp PWM controller (~85% efficient) and a single 100w Polycrystalline panel (~75% efficient) and other post is correct that it provides minimal charge to the house batteries only.
I am adding a GoPower 680AE system (monocrrystaline panels, & MPPT controller both ~95% efficient) to power my 4, 100 ahr house batteries and moving the output of the factory system to the chassis batteries.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
I use 2 - 100 watt panels to maintain the cranking and two 105 Ah house batteries. Once the house batteries go above 13.1 volts the B.I.R.D will close the Trombetta relay and allow charging the cranking battery at the same time. For dry camping I have 300 watts of solar in a portable setup.