Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2017, 02:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #6007
'Solar Ready' definition

We are looking to buy a 2018 ACE 29.3..... new features for 2018 include the units being 'solar ready'....

We realize new units are probably being 3-4 weeks from arriving at dealers...and Thor specifics on detailed specs are kept close-to-the-vest until 2017 inventory is cleared.

Hate to be too specific but any advice on what 'solar ready' means for a 2018 ACE would be appreciated...we want omthink about inverter, solar etc options...

Old 04-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1912 View Post
We are looking to buy a 2018 ACE 29.3..... new features for 2018 include the units being 'solar ready'....

We realize new units are probably being 3-4 weeks from arriving at dealers...and Thor specifics on detailed specs are kept close-to-the-vest until 2017 inventory is cleared.

Hate to be too specific but any advice on what 'solar ready' means for a 2018 ACE would be appreciated...we want omthink about inverter, solar etc options...
Typically "solar ready" means there are a pair of wires somewhere to connect between solar panels and a charge controller. Don't know about Thor.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Solar Harness

This is what I got from Thor for new solar harness for 2018 Vegas 24.1 but I suspect it will be similar for all. Implies they have wired to the roof.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TEE2333-00.pdf (73.5 KB, 1587 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #4

THOR #6007
Thanks....hmmm, the drawing is labeled as 'left hand side', do you think/know there is a right hand side drawing?

My hunch is, like yours, the Axis/Vegas and ACE harnesses might likely be the same.

We are thinking of switching out the stock 1000w inverter coming with our unit to a 2000w true sine w charger and booster with top tier controller at the ime of delivery, then install solar roof panels and upgraded batteries a-year-down-the-road if you'll excuse the pun..

We realize we may be putting a Acura inverter and solar system on a entry level Civic...hey, but it could be fun for light and moderate level boondocking...

Appreciate your thoughts..
Old 04-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
First of all: We shouldn't be posting Thor's IP on the web--it says right on the diagram confidential. We should respect that.

2nd:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1912
My hunch is, like yours, the Axis/Vegas and ACE harnesses might likely be the same.
I don't think so: I bet Thor creates the wire harnesses to each coach. Sure they probably have a template for the harness, but they will have a template for each floorplan (not to mention different ones across brands).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:13 AM   #6

THOR #6007
Jamie, I am a newbie asking for help in understanding what the situation would be on a new ACE 29.3 related to being 'solar ready', nothing more.. what is IP?..
Old 04-11-2017, 02:20 AM   #7

THOR #6007
Thank you.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:40 AM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Jamie, I am a newbie asking for help in understanding what the situation would be on a new ACE 29.3 related to being 'solar ready', nothing more.. what is IP?..
Jamie's comment was directed at croused...

IP is intellectual property. Thor will give any owner diagrams for their rig based on VIN. The diagrams are labeled with copyright as Thor's intellectual property and should not be posted online (or otherwise copied/distributed..)

Contact them and request the specific diagrams for your rig. They are good to have on hand.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:54 AM   #9

THOR #6007
Thank you...Our unit is on order....I am a 72 year old guy looking to try to try to think about a possible setup...we plan to go on a 4000ish mile trip a few days after delivery..

I am looking for friendly help...I appreciate your comment and leraning What IP means...i think the other fellow was trying to help. I only want tomask for appropriate help.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:12 AM   #10

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
My interpretation of solar ready is: thin wire!
Maybe 10 gauge and 200W or so.
YMMV
Old 04-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #11
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Thank you...Our unit is on order....I am a 72 year old guy looking to try to try to think about a possible setup...we plan to go on a 4000ish mile trip a few days after delivery..

I am looking for friendly help...I appreciate your comment and leraning What IP means...i think the other fellow was trying to help. I only want tomask for appropriate help.
Please ask anything... sometimes the answer (for specific diagrams) will be to contact Thor - but there is a wealth of knowledge in folks here more than willing to help out.

That's a longggg trip just out of the gate... Take your time with your delivery inspection and be sure everything is set. Some good checklists available on forum to assist if needed - and help if you run into issues along the way.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 04-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

I personally don't see a big problem with this drawing issue -- although maybe I should.

Technically I agree with JamieGeek that the diagram is labeled confidential, and is therefore labeled as Intellectual Property, but on the other hand if Thor actually wanted it treated as IP, they have the responsibility to limit distribution a bit more than E-Mailing it to just about anyone who requests it. In practice they are not treating the information as intellectual property.

Your interest in how the solar system is designed is justified in my opinion. Anyone looking to buy one of these motorhomes would want to know what they are getting, right?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
My interpretation of solar ready is: thin wire!
Maybe 10 gauge and 200W or so.
YMMV
Are you thinking that 10 gauge wire will limit the system to 200 watts? Seems low for a new system today when so many are going to much higher power levels.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I personally don't see a big problem with this drawing issue -- although maybe I should.

Technically I agree with JamieGeek that the diagram is labeled confidential, and is therefore labeled as Intellectual Property, but on the other hand if Thor actually wanted it treated as IP, they have the responsibility to limit distribution a bit more than E-Mailing it to just about anyone who requests it. In practice they are not treating the information as intellectual property.
Off topic from the reason for the post - but actually Thor can distribute any way they see fit... It doesn't take away the fact that they have marked the drawing as copyright material (all that is legally required to do).
Typically they provide the detailed drawings to those already owning a coach (providing VIN) - but they could post on their website if they wanted to - still wouldn't change that it shouldn't be posted here by anyone without permission from Thor.

I don't think Thor would spend the resources to sue over copyright infringement - but they could easily choose not to make future drawings available to owners - and that is not something I would want to see them do.

I am sensitive to this... as a photographer I have found my work used elsewhere without my permission...

Quote:
Your interest in how the solar system is designed is justified in my opinion. Anyone looking to buy one of these motorhomes would want to know what they are getting, right?
I agree.. and providing that insight here is great - short of posting diagrams marked with copyright... Obviously Thor will send them - just need to make a request...

And now we return you to the real reason for the thread...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #15

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Are you thinking that 10 gauge wire will limit the system to 200 watts? Seems low for a new system today when so many are going to much higher power levels.
Yes that's exactly the suggestion ... though I'd guess 10ga to be at actual limits around 250W in a typical 12V RV's wire length run. Certainly there are ways to utilize some parts of the pre-wire to achieve a higher power array, though it will likely mean splicing in larger wires and only using the prep-wire for a short span to eliminate pulling larger wires through the roof for example. Somewhat of a kludge IMO. Thats where YMMV comes into play...

Basically, a solar prep RV option is good for very nice battery maintainer systems but not much use when designing a "really usable" fully 12V solar solution. Wire gauge and run length are factors to consider. Wire should be considered when upgrading inverters too as I doubt the factory sized wires appropriate for 2000W if the rig came with 1000W.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:10 AM   #16

THOR #2121
Are you thinking in terms of 15 Amps or so maximum current to get 200 Watts in a 12-Volt (nominal) system?

I haven't gotten into details yet but that seems a little low to me for 10 gauge wiring (assuming that's what they are providing).
Old 04-12-2017, 12:27 AM   #17

THOR #6007
Thanks....Good info. Really helpful.... Hmmm, so the 'solar ready' 2018 ACE 29.3 is likely (no avaiable wiring details avaiable yet ) to arrive with el cheapo 1000 w inverter and under sized wiring for bigger systems.

Our goal is medium to light boon docking...My goal, maybe a half-baked one is to go in two steps: 1. New 2000 w pure sine premium inverter w nice control panel...hopefully using as much 'solar ready' wiring as possible..maybe a portable Zampish panel.....then, phase 2 is solar panels on roof and new batteries.

hey folks, cost is a factor in our decision but part of the goal is to have fun, experiment with a newer technology....My goal is to not have a Mercedes inverter with Kia wiring...and, not kid myself on realities,..and choke my concept at the lowest common denominator..

People helping with ideas are appreciated. Hope above is a bit clear.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #18

State: Indiana
THOR #5102
You are correct, 10 GA wire can handle 30 Amps. The 15 Amp circuits in the coach are normally 14 GA (smaller diameter).
Old 04-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Another variable to consider is that many solar panels are rated at higher voltage, so rated current going down from roof is much lower. The controller can then step down the voltage with what is essentially a DC to DC built-in converter.

Recently I saw an Amp-Volt curve for a 400-watt panel that maxes out around 7 Amps. It's a panel designed for 48-Volt nominal output though.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #20

THOR #6007
Sorry folks, I guess I'm a little slow. What I am thinking of is two 165 w roof panels (at least to start) going to a good controller and buying a top rate, 2000w pass through true sine inverter...my simple question at the moment is will 10 gauge wire from the roof be ok? I'm trying to wrap my mind around what work on the roof would be needed....thanks