Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #9392
Spare tire/wheel

2017 Thor Chateau 22B
I am thinking that adding a Spare Tire/wheel is a good idea for my new coach. It is built on a Ford E450 with Dual Rear Wheels (Dually).
Do most Class C Rv'ers run with no spare?
Is it the same Wheel/Tire for all 6 wheels on the E450?
Thanks

Old 10-09-2017, 12:43 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I have a Vegas of F-450 chassis. I carry a spare and stuff to do it with. Is a pain but since I mostly tow open car trailer, why not.

All wheels are same on mine. Spare tire is also same brand/model.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:26 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
All the wheels should be the same. I considered buying a spare until I thought about when the last time I had a flat. Had to be 20 years ago.
I do carry a jack and lug wrench should I have to move a front to the rear, or take a rear off, to limp in.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:37 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
All six are the same. I bought a spare for my 2017 for about $150. The hard part is finding a way to carry it. Ended up with an expensive hitch mount -go figure! I would not change it myself and don’t carry the tools to do it. But I’m confident that roadside service will be a much better experience if I have my own good spare than it will if I have to get towed to a place and hope to buy one “urgently “.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:58 AM   #5

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Ditto the spare. Bought a used rim (no bargain, same price as online, $75). I chose to buy an equivalent but cheaper tire, ~$100 and mounted to on a Curts spare carrier that's hitch mounted, ~$90. It's cheap insurance. What first drew me to the Axis/Vegas was the 16" rim instead of the 22"s. Assuming I get cell coverage for roadside repair, I already have the replacement.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Ditto the spare. Bought a used rim (no bargain, same price as online, $75). I chose to buy an equivalent but cheaper tire, ~$100 and mounted to on a Curts spare carrier that's hitch mounted, ~$90. It's cheap insurance. What first drew me to the Axis/Vegas was the 16" rim instead of the 22"s. Assuming I get cell coverage for roadside repair, I already have the replacement.
I just have a Good Sam card, cell phone if it works, a generator, coffee pot, fridge loaded with beer. Something good always happens.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
I just have a Good Sam card, cell phone if it works, a generator, coffee pot, fridge loaded with beer. Something good always happens.
Roger that!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:42 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
This comes up every so often on this forum and others. You will find several owners finding comfort in having a spare, and plenty of others, like myself, who choose to go without.

Some believe the weight is unnecessary, and some say they wouldn't be comfortable with the jacking and trying to get the lugnuts off.

My personal flat tire experience was with our previous coach when the tires were about 5 years old (plenty of tread left). We had two blow outs before we replaced the rest of the tires. Those two times, road service had us back on the road in about 4 hours and the tires cost the same as everywhere else.

According to AAA, 30 million vehicles in the US have no spares. If we were taking our coach to remote areas, I would be more interested in taking along a spare.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Since we bought 6 new tires during this trip, 4 for the Jeep, kept having flats; and 2 for the MH, side wall slit on one, we think a spare is a requirement. This is especially true since GS only pays to change a tire and we travel many places without cell service.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #10

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I mounted a spare on my Freedom Elite 22FE. I figure, if I had a flat, had to call for help, they'd mount the spare instead of me waiting somewhere for a wheel and tire or repair. Used standard spare mount on rear bumper, which I cut the weak little 1/8" straps off and drilled holes through the square steel tubing to mount spare right up to the steel tubing instead of it hanging out there on those straps. I don't know how much the spare wheel and tire weigh, but I don't think an 1/8" steel strap hanging the spare out there another 4-5 inches is a good idea, besides looked like s--t. Now it's right up close to bumper. Was a hassle lifting that wheel up to the tubing myself, might have gotten a hernia doing it, dumb of me, very dumb. Get some help.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I couldn't justify the space or weight of carrying one...
Good Sam card here also!

What kind of jack would need to be carried anyway??
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
GS has an 'add on' that covers the cost of the replacement tire...
As long as the tread passes the 'Lincoln head penny test'. (and tread wear is typically not the issue with RV tires...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #13

THOR #6582
Just where were you travelling? Sounds like fun!
Old 10-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #14

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

"What kind of jack would need to be carried anyway??"
Bob, I carry a 20 ton bottle jack and an adapter for the axle like this: https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories/products/axle-tube-pad-for-bottle-jack. Very little space and easily justified weight. Just being pro-active.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #15

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Spare tire

I carry a spare tire (not mounted) and last year on a 5 week trip I did
have a front tire blow out (sidewall). Having the right size tire 19.5"
allowed us to have it changed and on our way. Nobody had the right
size tire so I had to call ahead to a Goodyear Truck tire shop and order
the correct tire, they remounted the new tire and sent the damaged one
back to Goodyear for the engineers to inspect. It only had 9000 miles
so eventually I got reimbursed for the cost of a new tire minus about
$25.

For me having the spare was worth the trouble. I've read a few stories
of people having to wait outside a tire shop for a couple of days to get
new tires shipped in.

On our trips we usually don't have that much time to wait since we are
not full timers.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #16

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I couldn't justify the space or weight of carrying one...
Good Sam card here also!

What kind of jack would need to be carried anyway??
If your coach has leveling jacks, you can use that to get the wheel off the ground, and just put a jack stand under the frame for safety. I did that with our former 41 foot DP when a front tire had to be dismounted, and no one had a jack that could deal with it.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Leveling jacks: Check!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #12084
Spare Tire and Jack

My 28A came with a spare but no Jack or Lug Wrench. I am going to purchase a Jack from Lowe's and I have a standard star lug wrench.My question would be is where do you place the Jack to change the tire? I don't think I would ever attempt to change the tire myself but would still like to know where the jacking points are in case the guy they send out to chance the tire doesn't know. Ya never know.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
I use a 12 ton hydraulic jack under the axle.
There really are no good frame jacking points and the weight would be an issue.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo877 View Post
My 28A came with a spare but no Jack or Lug Wrench. I am going to purchase a Jack from Lowe's and I have a standard star lug wrench.My question would be is where do you place the Jack to change the tire? I don't think I would ever attempt to change the tire myself but would still like to know where the jacking points are in case the guy they send out to chance the tire doesn't know. Ya never know.
You should find detail instructions on the Ford owners manual. If not, it’s available on web.

I’m fairly certain your 28A is on an E-Series chassis like mine, except you have duallies and a 4-ton jack. My present one is only 2-tons if I recall correctly.

Anyway, on front I-Beams (part of Twin-I-Beam suspension), there is a peg-looking knob sticking out the front of each beam that the factory jack is designed to go under. At home I’ve used a hydraulic jack under beam, but I have to say that my factory mechanical jack with better support feels a lot safer to me. Granted it takes a bit more work to raise vehicle, but it’s not bad at all since you’re lifting the axle directly. I would not jack from under the frame for various reasons, including that you have to lift much higher to decompress springs.

The rear jack location is under the axle tube, and that’s not easy to reach with my factory jack, particularly if you have a rear flat with single rear tires (was my only tire change on the road). Due to vehicle long rear overhang, and low ground clearance, it requires getting down on the ground to place the jack, and to ensure it’s on right after you start the lift. I always double check to make certain it won’t (can’t) slip. I’d guess that placing any jack under rear axle will not be easy.

By the way, never place jack under differential pumpkin even if it’s easier to reach. That can cause damage. Also, my factory jack has long handle so I can lift rear while behind van for safety. I don’t recall how my Class C Ford jack worked, but think it was the same — just heavier duty.