Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2021, 03:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #21123
Stabilizing Thor Aria in cross winds

Hi
I have been reading multiple posts and opinions on reducing sway and stabilizing a Thor Class A (2020) Aria due to cross winds, trucks/cars, etc. Driving on I80 and I90 this summer was not fun.
And am getting confused.

I had Saf-T-Plus installed and that has helped. Is there anything else I should do? I read about Summo Springs but not certain if that would help some more.

Thank you for your insights and experiences.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:40 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I have only had one experience with our Aria in a little over 20k miles I thought was bad. Going over the Sierras on I80 was being blown all over the road. It wasn't until that evening I found out the winds were 80+ mph. I did have the coach aligned as soon as we loaded it and have weighed and adjusted the tire pressure accordingly. I have found it to be quite stable especially compared to our two previous gassers. Very comfortable to drive.

I did not see in your post which model you have and I do not know if length/weight have anything to do with it.

Mike
Old 10-19-2021, 04:51 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
We and our travel friends have found 35 to 45 mph reduces significantly
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:42 AM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #21123
Thank you, Mike.
It is a 2020 Aria 3401.
I had a gas Jayco briefly—that was all over the road. The Aria much better but still have some impact on passers and wind. Going to start towing a Jeep Cherokee. I wonder if that will help or hurt.

Helpful suggestions. I need to get it weighed and check tire pressures. It was aligned at 5 K. Now has 11K miles. But some of the roads and bridges we have driven are horrible.

Thank you!
Old 10-25-2021, 09:34 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Iowa
THOR #21540
I have heard a rear track bar helps stabilize in winds. THe rear axel will sway back and forth with sudden gusts such as when a truck passes. I have heard it is relatively inexpensive compared to other options so it might be a place to start.

I have not done it, but I did do CHF which moves the stabilizer bar bolts to tighten sway.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:18 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I don't think that a steering stabilizer or a toad hanging off the hitch has anything to do with body sway in a gas class A. I didn't notice any improvements with sway when I installed my stabilizer. The CHF may have been an improvement and the sumo springs may have added a touch more. I drove across the Texas Panhandle a couple of years ago and the side winds were in the 20s with gusts in the 30s. Slowing down to 60 MPH was a big help, but I had to steer into the wind the whole time.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:30 AM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
What helps the most:
Aquiring ability and self assurance.
95%(a guess) of rv's have no suspension mods.

To steal an explanation from someone we all trust:
'You are sitting in your rv far above the position you sit within your other cars suspension.'(or thereabouts)

Go to the vehicle you wish the rv handled like, measure the bottom of the seat height from ground. Measure the height of the tire from ground.

Now do it on the RV and MULTIPLY the difference(pendulum, leverage, give me a fulcrum and I'll move the earth....).

There's a bit of time it takes for the confidences to build.
Some here will deny this.
Some here have spouses who wouldn't drive the rv to save a life.
If a spouse won't drive, that's an inability which can be overcome with time behind the wheel.

Seat time will not cure the sway.
But
It will cure your lack of ability to treat the sway just as a thing, instead of as the dread fraught thing.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:28 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Different coach, but driving in West Virginia mountains last week was a chore in our 25' class C. Ducksface makes good points about "time in the seat". Regardless, strong sideways gusts make handling an un-aerodynamic box a chore.

A tip is to not tense up and "death grip" the steering wheel. There's a learned finesse - don't try to jerk the wheel to control, rather use smooth motions with a looser grip. You'll create less tension in your arms/shoulders. Also, if driving extended distances in sideways wind gusts, make more frequent stops to stretch and relax.

Unless you move up to a top-shelf diesel pusher, your driving experience will be more hectic in general. I've accepted the fact that my MH will NEVER handle/drive like my F-150. Accordingly I change my driving habits and approach when driving the MH. Yes, I'm a LOT more tired after driving the MH, but I have a comfy bed handy to rest in!!
Old 10-26-2021, 03:02 AM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I don't think that a steering stabilizer or a toad hanging off the hitch has anything to do with body sway in a gas class A. I didn't notice any improvements with sway when I installed my stabilizer.
I agree that it won't impact sway. However, I do think it impacts your reaction to sway. Further I think it relaxes you a bit.

Personally I have been thinking about getting a rear track bar to see how it reduces the sway.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:27 AM   #10

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Different coach, but driving in West Virginia mountains last week was a chore in our 25' class C. Ducksface makes good points about "time in the seat". Regardless, strong sideways gusts make handling an un-aerodynamic box a chore.

A tip is to not tense up and "death grip" the steering wheel. There's a learned finesse - don't try to jerk the wheel to control, rather use smooth motions with a looser grip. You'll create less tension in your arms/shoulders. Also, if driving extended distances in sideways wind gusts, make more frequent stops to stretch and relax.

Unless you move up to a top-shelf diesel pusher, your driving experience will be more hectic in general. I've accepted the fact that my MH will NEVER handle/drive like my F-150. Accordingly I change my driving habits and approach when driving the MH. Yes, I'm a LOT more tired after driving the MH, but I have a comfy bed handy to rest in!!
I agree also 40 to 50 mph in wind is a sweet spot

Agree

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 10-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Try looking farther down the road as well as keeping a light touch on the wheel. It can keep you busy sometimes but I’ve never felt like any of my coaches were unsafe to drive. I rather like the truck-like handling!
Old 10-29-2021, 12:32 AM   #12

Model: Tuscany 40ex
THOR #12726
We almost upset our 40ft Tuscany going west on i70 through Kansas when a out of nowhere cross wind hit us and I actually saw air under the right drive tires, but normally it’s ok as the airbags keep us pretty stable under normal conditions
Old 10-30-2021, 07:39 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
I thought that DPs are not plague by wind issues? And, no, I am not trying to be sarcastic.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:32 AM   #14

State: California
THOR #10802
Yes to all of the above and buy a Trac Bar, had a 1994 34’ Bounder and it eliminated about 75% of the wind and trucks blowing me off the road. I bought a 2017 ACE and started to get the swaying action after a 3000 mile trip so I bought a Super Steer trac bar and installed it last week. Looking to add Somo springs and Koni shocks soon.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:45 AM   #15

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
82mph rv speed with a steady 40mph 10oclock cross wind...with bigger gusts.
550 miles of it Today on i90, Gillette WY to Minnesota. Relentless.
See that wheel angle? Dead straight road and a perfectly centered steering wheel.

Butt time learned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1030211106a~01.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	34517  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:52 AM   #16

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
We almost upset our 40ft Tuscany going west on i70 through Kansas when a out of nowhere cross wind hit us and I actually saw air under the right drive tires, but normally it’s ok as the airbags keep us pretty stable under normal conditions
I earned my "white knuckle card" driving west in Minnesota on I-90. First time pulling a trailer in heavy gusting crosswinds and dodging HORRIBLE freeway craters. Scared the **** out of me... until I figured it out... somewhat.

Like I said previously... time in the seat helps tremendously. Now with some decent experience in the MH, I'm better prepared to know what to expect, and how to control it.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:17 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
I-90 was tough when we were on it last month. We have the mods you see in my signature. The rear trac bar helped a lot with the sway. Now that we added the shocks and sumo springs it drives really well! We still get pushed around some with high winds, but nothing like before.

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:47 PM   #18

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Just to add to this.

We drive an east west highway that has a VERy LARge tractor shed and cedar trees for several hundred yards. When the wind is really blowing to hit the lee created by the windbreak and not react quickly, you will be in the on coming lane.

Lesson learned is, in strong cross winds watch for wind breaks that may affect your travel.
If the wind is pushing you a sudden stopping of the wind will also affect you.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:13 PM   #19

THOR #20220
Hey until you try I 90 in montana and Wyoming all is good

And see Livingston montana..folks get blown off the road
Old 11-04-2022, 09:35 PM   #20

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #2538
My .02 only...

My 37KT challenger V10 gasser was blown all over by wind and passing semis because of the lightweight vice side size. Anti-Sway bars and steering stabilizer vastly improved that situation.

My Aria 3901 isn't bothered much by it unless it gets extremely windy. The air suspension automatically adjusts, and the heavier weight also helps.

Slowing down is the best solution.

As for flat towing helping, I'm not sure it makes any difference. Haven't noticed any difference after several k miles.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote